“Service improved on 2nd and 3rd visits”
Review of Nacho Hippo

Nacho Hippo
Ranked #67 of 908 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nacho Hippo is a Mexican style Cantina with full menu of unique nachos, tacos,Quesadillas and more. full bar service. live music with indoor and outdoor dining.
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Ok, when I went back, I explained what happened. And they treated me better. The hostess told me that at my original visit, the server had worked a double. I told her, that must have made him a zombie, and obviously my service was not there. She recommended a few other servers. I had the Nachos on one visit, and tacos on another. On my third visit there, a female server remembered me, and by name. I even ask for servers by name. Bottom Line: Management and staff were very cordial when I gave them a second try. The loaded type Nachos are very tasty; their fire-roasted salsa is very good. I try to be fair in my reviews, so that is why I updated this one. As others mention, it is not authentic Mexican, but you can definitely find some tasty meal or snack choices on the menu.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

What a fun experience! Customize your nacho platter with a large variety of toppings or order lobster tacos, vegan tacos with fire roasted vegetables and hummus (also available on nachos ~ we got and fantastic!!) tuna tacos and so many more creative and delicious choices! They also offer salads, soups. fun quesadillas and many appetizers such as fried plantains with guacamole. Staff was friendly and helpful. The laid back atmosphere of a small open air bar on a beautiful MB evening made this a great find! We wish we could find a Nacho Hippo Cantina Maximo identical to this one in many other cities! We'd be there!!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

No, this is not "authentic Mexican cuisine." Nacho Hippo offers their own fun twist on Tex-Mex fare and they do it very well. Portion sizes are generous and prices are very reasonable, especially for a resort/tourist town.

Nachos (obviously) are their main attraction, but you will also find burritos, tacos and quesadillas. I had the Hippo Plato Mas (chicken) -- think fajitas (kind of) with black beans and tasty yellow rice. The guacamole was a bit bland for my taste, but the rest of meal was very good.

My wife went with Macho Nachos and couldn't begin to finish it, even with a little help from me.

Some have commented that Nacho Macho is aimed at the college age crowd, but we saw older couples, large families with small children, groups of golfers and housewives looking for a Margarita fix while we were there. Service was prompt and friendly.

Recommended!

1  Thank Robert R
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I'm not going to lie, my friends & I stopped into the Nacho Hippo because if the name (Tiny Hippo was on our minds [http://poorlydrawnlines.com/comic/tiny-hippo-and-the-tiny-train/]). My biggest complaint up front would be parking. There is a parking garage behind the buildings but getting to it was a little difficult due to delivery trucks being parked in the street. Enough about that; the look of the restaurant was fun. There was hippo decor everywhere as well as bottle caps & other tidbits that made the atmosphere lively. My favorite thing would have to be the humor used in the descriptions for the nachos themselves. Just about every kind of nacho platter had a funny description or saying about it. As far as the food goes, the portions were huge. Service itself was a little slow (we sat at the bar) & our drinks almost went unfilled a few times but overall we enjoyed it.

TLDR: Large portions for the price but service is somewhat slow.

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were driving thru and seen a family eating nachos on patio. Went in and had an awesome make your nacho platter. Huge is the word.