“Very good place but almost like all the rest”

Miyabi Kyoto Japanese Steak House
Ranked #76 of 896 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We ate here on a whim and after checking trip advisor's selections and figure why not. I was very impressed by the atmosphere and cleanliness of the restaurant we we walked in. The menu was small and there were not a lot of option for scallops I noticed myself and several over people asking about adding scallops to their meal. The soup was average in comparison to all other Bennihana style restaurants and the salad was less than desirable. It was slightly warm and the house sauce (always a staple of my visit) was not very tasty either. However, the executive chef Peter was outstanding at presentation and his cooking was superb. He catered to many of the guests unique requests and did so jokingly so that everyone remained comfortable. My filet and lobster were cooked perfectly and the portions were fantastic. My wife did have stomach cramps afterwards but since we both shared some of the same food I cannot contribute this to this restaurant. The meal however was very pricey in comparison and almost 10-15 dollars higher than other similar restaurants of this style. And I hated the fact that the sauce pans were all connected together because you can't pour it on your food.
Very good visit. But still no comparison to Kabuki in Roanoke Virginia. :)

There are newer reviews for Miyabi Kyoto Japanese Steak House

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We went out for a family birthday celebration last night and were all pleased with our dinner. The other reviews were right on. Having been to numerous Teppanyaki style restaurants, we had comparisons in mind. Some cooks were not as entertaining as others. Our cook, Rixon, was fun and put on a good show. As others noted, the rice was without eggs (would have preferred some), and was a HUGE portion. Soup was bland and needs some flavor. Vegetable portion was a bit small, would have been better with a bit less rice and more veggies. Our group found the chicken, steak, shrimp and scallops cooked wonderfully. I love sushi, and didn't find what we got anything special. A bit expensive for what we got. Our server could use a personality makeover, she wasn't overly friendly. All things considered, it was a good meal, with big portions (everyone left with a box), and everyone was happy. It may not be the best Japanese we have had, but it certainly was as good as most. But a word to the wise, during the busy season, make reservations, we did, and our wait was reasonable.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We went there to celebrate a birthday and it exceeded my expectations! Out server was alright but our cook, Rixon, was absolutely great! He was very entertaining! So much good food and so much fun! Overall great!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We visited with another couple and our 11 year old grandson/ made reservations and were seated right on time. Food was very good, service was excellent and our cook was good.

Portions were large - all of us had carry out boxes when finished. While the format is typical, the food seemed a bit tastier than some of the similar restaurants to which we've been.

Several years ago we visited another of the chain's locations (this was the Restaurant Row location), but I cannot remember much of that experience.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

What a lovely restaurant! the ceiling is convex, and painted like the night sky, shimmering with stars. We sat in the bar for about 15 - 20 minutes waiting for our table. DH and I and my son's friend had hibachi, while my son had a volcano roll, which was quite amazing to see. it was a shrimp based roll loaded with crab meat on top. Surprisingly, he ate every bite! Hubby had filet and Lobster, while I had Filet and Hibachi Chicken. My son's friend had the hibachi shrimp. Way too much food! My son's buddy took most of his dinner back with us, but My son's plate however looked like it was licked clean!