“Horrible experience at the "Whose Night out is it Anyway" show.”
Review of Carolina Improv

Carolina Improv
Ranked #1 of 49 Nightlife in Myrtle Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Carolina Improv Company is located INSIDE the Myrtle Beach Mall at the Uptown Theater with seating for approximately 75 people. It's a very intimate (and small) space and serves beer, wine and soda. Yes, it's a little unconventional but that's what makes it fun (and cheaper than other shows). Our seats are transportable cushioned chairs and sometimes we have to pull out folding chairs when people are begging to see us. The fire marshall lets us have up to 110 people in the space. Since the mall does not provide outdoor signage it could be tricky to find us. The mall anchor is Bass Pro Shop and Uptown is on that end of the mall. For the quickest path to the theater, guests should park at the back of the mall between Bass Pro Shop and Carmike Cinema. Hungry? There are several restaurants at the mall where you can eat before visiting us.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Monroe, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Horrible experience at the "Whose Night out is it Anyway" show.”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This place is located in the Mall. That's ok. But the show is held in a room about the size of your typical school classroom. (6-7 rows of chairs spaced way to close for comfort, some padded, some just a folding chair) No tables to relax around and place your beverage. Needless to say the place is on a poverty level budget. But ok, my intention was to have a good night of laughs. This show was all BUT that!
We entered. The ticket seller in his 40's, told us the price was $28.00 for the two tickets. We gave him $40.00. He had to use a calculator to give us our change, which by the way was contained in a zippered bank bag! Next to the ticket table was a few bottles of wine, beer, soda. This was the 'bar'.
Being the place is so small, the ticket 'table' was just feet away from our seats. During the show, the employees kept chatting, in a loud whisper, which was very rude and annoying. Some people don't know how to whisper, they just put the hush in their voice, but it is no more quiet than if they just talked normally.
So the show starts. The Host Comedian told us how the show worked. He stepped down as the show began. As skits were performed, I hear this person abruptly bellowing out a laugh behind me, way too loud, trying to encourage laughter. ( this was the host comedian) Believe me, the show didn't warrant that kind of laughter. It was pretty lame.
A bad start to our first evening in MB, and wasted hours of our mini vacation. We walked out 45 minutes into the 90 minute show. But not after i told the ticket person how rude they were whispering loudly, while the show was going on. She didn't even follow us out to apologize or ask why we were leaving already. I was so disappointed.I could've had a better time elsewhere.
Bottom line...is you get what you pay for! I should've played mini golf. I would've had way more fun! So next time, we'll try the dinner theaters and hope for a better experience.

Visited April 2013
CarolinaImprov, Owner at Carolina Improv, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We apologize for disappointing you. While we cannot change our venue of movable chairs in a 75 seat venue in a mall we can find ways to improve our "whispering" to not be disturbing. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. And since we're comedians math is just not our forte, thus the need for a calculator to give correct change. And those darn zipper bags also annoy us .. we just found it operationally easier in a small space to try to have several people assisting guests as quickly as possible with one register. And as for our comedy, well, we'll never make everybody laugh but we do have fun trying!!! You may want to check out Carolina Comedy Club or Comedy Cabana while you're still in town - they have tables for their drinks (along with drink minimums that we don't have).

We can't return your 45 minutes but we would really like to refund your tickets and offer you tickets to the Carolina Comedy Club as a gift from us.

Please contact me directly at gina@carolinaimprov.com to arrange for that.

Best regards!

mt airy,nc
“Falling for improv”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My daughter and son-in-law the haynes family come to carolina improv everytime they visit mb and my husband and i do as often as we can. i had a stroke thursday and as soon as i was released we left for myrtle beach. w came to yptown last night and while taking my seat, i lost my balance , fell, hitting my head and making a bruise on my knee. the people at carolina improv were there in an instance and tey took care of me getting ice sitting me up giving me ottoman to put my kne on and checking with me every little bit to see if i was ok. at intermission because i didn't get back as fast as they thought i should havthey played extra song giving me time to get back. thanks to all but a special shout out to miss allison u r one sweet person thanks for everything thumbs up and i will visit again
april 20, 2013

Ottawa, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Had a great time”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

TripAdvisor had suggested this show number one. Since my husband was at Bass Pro he found where the show was located in the mall. We laughed are Canadian butts off. They made good fun of us and our jobs gave them plenty of material to use in their show. This is an inexpensive goodnight out and they have family friendly shows as well. Thank you.

2 Thank Gary G
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fun night”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Lots of laughs. Cheap entertainment. We had a great time. The actors were very quick! Would definitely go back.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank mblocal60
Endwell, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Really enjoyed it”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Thanks for TA, we went to this hidden gem that is located inside a mall (by Bass Pro Shop). I have anyways enjoyed "Who's Line is it Anyway?". It met all my expectations and laughed through the whole 90 min. Plus, it is a bargain. It's family friendly or adult shows on the weekend. A definite must for the comedy lover.

Visited March 2013