“We had a pleasant stay”

Ranked #124 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Rochester, MN
“We had a pleasant stay”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I booked our stay with Palmetto Shores through their own website during their "Summer on Sale" promotion in May 2010. At the time of my booking, there was only one review here on Trip Advisor, but since the hotel was newly renovated I felt comfortable in planning to stay there. Also, the deal I was able to get for the four nights of our stay was better than anything else I had found in Myrtle Beach ($89 a night). Anyone that seriously expects a luxury 4 star resort for $89 a night during high season at a major beach location is either an inexperienced traveler or a fool. Palmetto Shores Hotel was formerly the Poindexter Hotel. If you look it up by its former name, you can still find reviews online which indicate that the buildings are quite old and the Poindexter was a budget hotel. Also, if you go onto Google or Bing maps and look at the location under "street view", you can see the building exteriors, which should give you some idea that this is not the fanciest of hotels. I did my research BEFORE my trip and had a pretty good idea of what I was going to find when I arrived.

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 7pm on the day of our check-in. The woman before me in line to check-in noticed that the price they were going to charge her was significantly higher than the price she was quoted when she made her reservation (something that appears to be common via other reviews here), so I was on high alert as I checked in. The desk attendant gave me a contact to sign with a price that was about $100 more than what I was given when I made my reservation through the hotel's website back in May. I had brought along all of my paperwork, which showed the price I was given. He had another employee work with us at that point to figure things out. This person tried to give me a hard time saying that outside websites often give the wrong price (which simply isn't and shouldn't be true) to those making a reservation and when I reminded him that I booked my room through their website, he was quick to change the price for me. Note to fellow travelers: print and bring all of your paperwork with you when checking in. He also informed us of the $50 (with credit card) damages charge, which never actually went onto our credit card. It isn't typical hotel protocol to have this type of charge actually go through unless there is damage when you check out of the hotel, even though some reviewers here have claimed they were charged before checking out. We were not. With the price adjusted, he gave us the keys to our room (1014, top floor), which was in the same building as the front desk (Coral, I think).

The room was adequate. We had two queen beds and a full kitchenette that was well appointed with toaster, stove, microwave, fridge/freezer, cups, bowls, plates, silverware, pots, pans, etc. The room had a balcony that faced north (Atlantica Hotel) and had an ocean view if you looked to your right while outside. Unfortunately there was a seagull nesting out on the balcony that was present at all times of the day, so to keep from avoiding the expectant mother, we did not use the balcony. In general, the room was clean, but not fancy. The kitchen had everything we needed. We did not use the oven/stovetop so I cannot comment on whether or not it worked, but it did look quite old. The bathroom had a bathtub and a toilet. The fan in the bathroom was obnoxiously loud, but wasn’t something that we used often enough to be bothered by it. The sink was outside of the bathroom with a small amount of countertop and a hairdryer. We also had a closet area that had an iron and ironing board. The room had a flat screen tv with HBO and various other basic cable/local channels. The beds were comfortable and adequate. Our air conditioning unit worked properly, but was quite loud. Its noise was a benefit to us though since we used it to drown out typical hotel noises (slamming doors, stomping feet, etc) and late night Ocean Blvd noises (revving engines, drunks, etc).

We were of the fortunate few who had the pleasure of experiencing the 1:30am fire alarm during our stay, which has made for a great travel story. Someone overcooked popcorn in their microwave on the 8th floor and security woke us up with a bang on the door before setting off the fire alarm on our floor. Really the only problem with this whole experience was the way security alerted us of the fire and the need to evacuate the hotel. Banging on doors was probably not the best way to let people know because we just assumed someone was fooling around in the hallways until the fire alarm was activated. Otherwise, we took the stairs down to the parking lot, sat around outside for about 15 minutes and then climbed the stairs back up to our room to go back to sleep – a fairly typical false alarm – and definitely NOT to be blamed on the hotel.

Ocean access at Palmetto Shores was great. It was a short walk down to the beach from each building and the hotel had a couple of outdoor showers for washing sand off of yourself when you come back in. We only utilized the children’s pool, which was great for our 5 year old. The other pools looked small, but nice.

Many reviewers have commented on the parking at the hotel and many people have said that they felt unsafe walking to their cars. I hope that this does not dissuade anyone from staying here because it is simply not true. Yes, parking for the hotel is located across the street in a few marked parking lots, but this is typical for hotels in that area. The hotel provides ample parking spaces for guests and the walk to/from your car is no longer than 100 yards from the hotel entrance. The parking lots are adequately lit at night and although we did return to the hotel in the evening frequently, we never felt uncomfortable nor did we ever see anyone suspicious or scary. We did see the security guard patrolling the area on a couple of occasions.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to a friend, but would make sure to tell them to not expect a luxury hotel. This is a bargain hotel that is well appointed and is located a very convenient spot in Myrtle Beach. I would not want to pay more than $130 a night for the rooms here, but otherwise felt that this hotel was a good deal for what we paid. If you’re looking for amenities beyond the basics, look elsewhere. If you’re looking for a budget room that is close to the beach and has access to shops and restaurants, you can be sure that Palmetto Shores will serve you well.

3 Thank jehcekah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
greenville SC
Reviewed July 23, 2010

After seeing so many negative reviews, I have to give the hotel the benefit. At first I was cautious but curious as to why the $99 special. We had no problems. We checked in on time (3pm) taking probably 5 min. and headed to our room. The only negative comment I can make is the bathroom was tiny. We stayed in the building where the office was. Room was cleaned every day without disturbing us. All the employees were kind and more than willing to help us. Enjoyed the pool and leisure areas each day. At frist, I was skeptic about the view, but enjoyed having an ocean and city view. Restaurant across the street and very close to the boardwalk where many shops and restaurants are. Parking is across the street, but considering we never moved the car once we got there, no problems. We will be returning in another week, staying at a different building and I expect the same service as I got the first time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Huron, Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I was looking forward to staying at the resort because I had read good reviews. The resort was located on the beach with newly renovated rooms and was priced reasonably...what more could we ask for? Well, we arrived at the resort at 5:30 a.m. on 7/16/10, after a long night at the airport and on the road. It took us over a half hour to get checked in because the clerk was having a difficult time finding a room that was clean and vacant for us. The clerk was nice, but we were not given a map or even informed of the hotel ammenities. We just happened to find things as we walked through the resort! Once we finally got into the room, after 6:00 a.m., I could not believe how tiny it was! Especially considering that the room had bunk beds. It was smaller than any standard hotel room I've ever stayed in! As for the "newly renovated rooms", that was a joke! You could tell they had just done a quick, half a** job so that they could say it was remodeled. The only good thing I could say about it was that it was clean. We decided to get a few hours of sleep before starting our vacation. When we woke up, my boyfriend and I decided to make coffee. Only to find out that they supply a coffee maker, but no coffee or filters. We were told to go to the store to purchase our own! They don't even have packets available for purchase!!! That morning, our little one took a shower and the tub clogged. They did send someone to fix it. The second morning, houskeeping knocked on our door to find out who was staying in the room. We were told to go to the front desk because we weren't even registered! I went to the front desk and was greeted by the front desk manager who was anything but pleasant. She said that there had been a mistake and acted like I was an inconvenience to her by coming to the desk. I told her about our issues at checkin, and even asked if we could have the first night discounted since we didnt really check in until 6 a.m. the next day and they were charging us for the whole night before. I realize that checkin wasnt until 3 p.m., but after being a hotel manager for several years, I also know that our resort would allow for early checkin if the room was ready and vacant. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE...which is something this hotel knows nothing about!!! I could tell she really wasn't listening and could care less about what I had to say, so I finally gave up. The third morning, housekeeping woke us up again, wanting to clean our room. I kindly asked the housekeeper to come back in a half an hour since we just woke up. The housekeeper just rolled her eyes at me and walked off. After that I stepped out onto the balcony while waiting for my turn in the shower. I overheard one of the housekeeping managers cussing out on of their employees! I couldn't believe her behavior right out in guest view! That evening, we returned to the hotel only to find out that our room still hadn't been cleaned. They took the "Service Please" sign out of the door, but didn't do anything else. I called the front desk for towels and told them about the room not being cleaned. No apology....instead I had to wait over an hour for the towels. I know you are probably wondering why we didn't just check out and move, but because it was such a short vacation, we didn't want to waste any more time looking for another place to stay. Just don't make the mistake we did and stay here in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

South Bend, IN
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I booked this hotel before any reviews were written because it was under a new name and ownership. After I started reading the bad reviews, I decided to cancel my reservation. When I called to cancel, I was told I would receive 90% of my deposit back within 3 to 5 days. 7 days later I called them back and was transferred to person after person until finally someone decided they could help me. He said it would be 3 to 5 days again, like I never called the first time. After waiting, I contacted my bank and they said they would dispute the amount because it sounded like I was getting the runaround. I finally received my refund 3 weeks later. I'm glad I didn't stay in this hotel because I drove by it while on my vacation and the oceanview rooms are a joke. They are overlooking an alley and other hotels and aren't even angled toward the ocean. You would have to hang over the balcony just to see the ocean. I learned my lesson to never book a hotel without reading over the reviews.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Weston, West Virginia
Reviewed July 17, 2010

The staff totally misrepresented the renovations of this hotel............They said everything in the room was new. I can't figure out what was new in our room. Our microwave had to be from the 80's......The shower got so hot my kids got burned trying to turn it off. I was told that my 9 and 11 year old sons would enjoy the water park.........yea maybe if they were 2. A fire alarm went off at 1:30 a.m. but it wasnt loud enough for us on the 2nd floor to hear......If I hadnt heard people outside I wouldnt have had any idea that there was a potential fire in out hotel..................luckily it was just burnt popcorn. My advice stay somewhere else.

Bangor, Maine
Reviewed July 16, 2010

First off, hotel lobby smelled like a fishpier. We were originally placed in a smelly/musty, groundfloor room next to the pool (Sands Building). The deadbolt didn't work on the poolside door. Finally able to convince unhelpful and rude manager to move us to another room that wasn't open to the public (moved to an adjacent oceanfront property owned by Palmetto - Picture 1). Upon entering the new building, we were greeted by a large and content cockroach (Pic 2). Moving up the stairs, we were greeted by some kind of bloody/mucous plasma smeared on the window (Pic 3). Gross. Cinderblock hallways reminded me of a dorm. Room door had to be forced open as it didn't fit the frame well. Minor complaints about room from that point on....glad we were only there for a night....Worst 130 bucks I ever spent on lodging.

Summary: Not satisfied with experience, wouldn't stay again, and surely would never recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Where do I start the check-in went well, I was a little surprise to see that not all of the rooms had been remodel, had a few problems with the door lock and bath room tub and chips on the kitchen counter and the dented frige, the staff quickly took care of those problems. One particular staff member Ms. Marion went way out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed in our room.(Thank You) the front desk staff they treated us with the most respect and for that (Thank You) and a special thanks to Steve and Jennifer help as well. We really enjoyed the morning breakfast at the Patio. Would I recomment this hotel to a friend, yes only if they are not looking for a Five Star Hotel. Pictures will follow soon. Have a nice summer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple