“Glad I stayed here”

Ranked #124 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Glad I stayed here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was very skeptical about staying here. I read some of the reviews but I made my decision based off the pictures, glad I did. The lobby looks updated and inviting. The staff were very friendly. When you check in they give you a nice welcome package full of coupons and guides. That got me excited about my stay. I stayed in the Sands building. The hallways and elevator are a little dated but they Didn't SMELL. The room was a PLEASANT surprise. It DIDN'T SMELL and looked CLEAN. The tub, floor, stove, re fridge handle, inside n out of fridge looked CLEAN. NO TRASH anywhere, CREVICES were CLEAR of TRASH. NIce flatscreen tv with DVD/VHS combo. Lovely OCEANFRONT view of the beach. The LINEN smelled FRESH and I was able to sleep comfortably...My brother stayed at the Caravelle Tower. His room was spacious and looked more moderate but his fridge looked dirty. The hallways did not look much better than Palmettos and they had issues with finding a park in the garage. They had to park across the street. ALL in ALL, I'm a student I PAID $40 LESS than my brother and I SLEPT like A BABY.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank xhill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed in the waves building and the 360 degree lighting by the pool has the ambiance of spending the night in Leavenworth. First room (319) is less than 8 feet away from one of those artificial suns making it impossible to use balcony after sunset, unless you wear sunglasses at midnight to avoid squinting. had to threaten to leave(after 2 nighta) before front desk moved me to rm. 517. Walked into room, laid key on night stand and a cockroach ran across the alarm clock. It was rather cool one night and the heater kicked in causing burning dust to set off the fire alarm. Upon being rousted from my sleep and preparing to evacuate, I noticed that there were no alarms ringing other than the one in my room, so I called the front desk and was told that they would send somebody. 3 guys show up, 1 turns the heat off and claims he fixed the problem, the other 2 agree and I'm left for a week without heat. On a positive note, these problems will all be fixed after Dec. as they are going to tear this dump down next year

1 Thank dougamsterdam

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Torrington, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

My new husband &I went & stayed a few months ago and were given a dumpy Dirty Room & we went out at night for lil walk after a long drive to get there and as we walked around the gazebo which was poorly lit I slipped on a shuffle board puck thing and fell down on my knees and it hurt allot I just stayed there for few min's before I could get up and I saw my new pants had hole in the knee & I was bleeding so we went to filthy room & sure enough my knee needed a major band aid we had One & latter we spoke to front desk & told them but they offered NOTHING no band aids no were sorry Nothing & we had leave to go find Med supplies,the whole time we were there it wasn't pleasant,Noisy & filthy just bad,so now it's been couple months latter & I have a Perm Scar on my Knee no thanks to there lack of making sure things ppl can trip,fall onto were left laying around & Front Desk ppl could care Less & made No Effort to do anything to help us so I'm not sad this place is going away but I hope ? goes there next puts some care into that place & cares about the ppl it's better for business...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LilBear_12
Johnson City, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I leave detailed reviews, so be prepared! We found a VERY good rate ($29.00 on bookit.com) and decided to book the room, even though it didn't totally meet our normal standards when we travel.

We got into town around 10 AM and around 11 AM, decided to stop by to confirm check-in times. My first "greeting" from the staff was two women who were standing in the middle of the driveway just chatting while I was half pulled in, car halfway in the street with cars trying to get around. After a few moments, she yelled "You weren't gonna hit me were ya?" as she barely moved out of the way for me to pull in. She walked on, and I shrugged that one off, although not pleased with it.

The young gentleman at the front desk was VERY polite and accommodating in letting me know that check-in was 4 PM, and where the room was in my girlfriends name, she would need to do the check-in process. I expected this and didn't bother to say anything else, but he volunteered a parking pass so we could go ahead and use their lot without having to pay for municipal parking, as well as giving us a call when the room was ready. We took full advantage of that, parked, and went straight to the beach, my cowboy boots, blue jeans, and all. We grabbed lunch at the "hotel restaurant" (The Patio) across the street, and received a call around 1:30 that our room was ready.

We were in room 526, middle building with the exercise room, can't remember the name of the building at the moment. The age of the building is VERY apparent, and elevator is in desperate need of sprucing up, but it got us up 5 stories (to the top) no problem. Our room was adequately clean and odor free (given beach standards), fresh linens that were actually soft, and a totally clean bathroom (seemingly a rarity for us).

We found out balcony door to be a crack open, but chained. The door plate on the locking mechanism was not flush with the door due to the screws being stripped out. The screws stopped the door from shutting all the way, and it was obvious this was broken and should be fixed (easy 5 minute fix), and was able to make it work when we used it. I let the front desk know, but no repairs were made while we were there.

Guest Services gave us a call while we were getting ready for dinner, asked about our stay so far and if we needed anything. We asked for an extra set of towels for a shower before we left the next morning, and had them in about 15 minutes or so.

Later that night, we visited the indoor pool and hot tub, and for the most part it was enjoyable, until somebody spotted a HUGE hairball floating at the top once the jets were off. I haven't seen 5 people get out of a hot tub that quickly in my life.

I slept like a baby that night, but then again, I had been awake for about 40 hours with a short two hour nap at a rest area on the way in. Still, no complaints in that department.

Throughout the two days, we did see bags of dirty linen and trash in the hallways for prolonged periods of time, with no housekeeping to be seen in the process of taking care of it. And I also saw two large bins labeled "trash" on the side outside our building, never used, never moved in the over 36 hours we were there. Maybe you'd want to use them for their obvious need? Just a suggestion.

Check out was easy, but only one person manning the front desk at 11 AM (Check-out time) made for a brief wait. In the time my girlfriend checked out, I had pulled the car from across the street, parked, loaded our luggage, grabbed a drink, and returned the cart as she was just finishing up.

All together, not a totally bad stay, but like I said, you get what you pay for. $45 total after taxes, and if we got that deal again, I'd stay there, but I wouldn't pay much more.

Room Tip: Room 526 was our room. Our "partial ocean view" was just enough for us. Two queen bed room...
2 Thank Heath S
Grove City, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and i stayed there room was clean. Exelent location and view of the ocean. Elevator had some issues but all in all a nice place to stay cheap. We would stay there again. And lots of pools and stuff for kids to do also.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kernersville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Room was run down. Blood on sheets on one bed. Smelled mildewed in room. Not a good atmosphere. Staff was very polite and refunded our money. They offered us another room in the older section. Didn't want to take a chance with an even older room when the newer section was bad.

1 Thank Sam M
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

we stayed during october bike rally and never stayed here before it is so much better then the other placed we stayed for the last 7 years and much cheaper the people at the front desk were so polite and very patient and helped us in every way we already booked for the end of october we will stay there from now on the room was excellent also ty so much for a great stay we booked 4 rooms for the rally

Room Tip: we were on the 10th floor but rather have one next time on lower floors im 65 dont care to be that h...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family