“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palmetto Shores Oceanfront

We can't find prices for this hotel
Palmetto Shores Oceanfront
Ranked #122 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Johnson City, Tennessee
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I leave detailed reviews, so be prepared! We found a VERY good rate ($29.00 on bookit.com) and decided to book the room, even though it didn't totally meet our normal standards when we travel.

We got into town around 10 AM and around 11 AM, decided to stop by to confirm check-in times. My first "greeting" from the staff was two women who were standing in the middle of the driveway just chatting while I was half pulled in, car halfway in the street with cars trying to get around. After a few moments, she yelled "You weren't gonna hit me were ya?" as she barely moved out of the way for me to pull in. She walked on, and I shrugged that one off, although not pleased with it.

The young gentleman at the front desk was VERY polite and accommodating in letting me know that check-in was 4 PM, and where the room was in my girlfriends name, she would need to do the check-in process. I expected this and didn't bother to say anything else, but he volunteered a parking pass so we could go ahead and use their lot without having to pay for municipal parking, as well as giving us a call when the room was ready. We took full advantage of that, parked, and went straight to the beach, my cowboy boots, blue jeans, and all. We grabbed lunch at the "hotel restaurant" (The Patio) across the street, and received a call around 1:30 that our room was ready.

We were in room 526, middle building with the exercise room, can't remember the name of the building at the moment. The age of the building is VERY apparent, and elevator is in desperate need of sprucing up, but it got us up 5 stories (to the top) no problem. Our room was adequately clean and odor free (given beach standards), fresh linens that were actually soft, and a totally clean bathroom (seemingly a rarity for us).

We found out balcony door to be a crack open, but chained. The door plate on the locking mechanism was not flush with the door due to the screws being stripped out. The screws stopped the door from shutting all the way, and it was obvious this was broken and should be fixed (easy 5 minute fix), and was able to make it work when we used it. I let the front desk know, but no repairs were made while we were there.

Guest Services gave us a call while we were getting ready for dinner, asked about our stay so far and if we needed anything. We asked for an extra set of towels for a shower before we left the next morning, and had them in about 15 minutes or so.

Later that night, we visited the indoor pool and hot tub, and for the most part it was enjoyable, until somebody spotted a HUGE hairball floating at the top once the jets were off. I haven't seen 5 people get out of a hot tub that quickly in my life.

I slept like a baby that night, but then again, I had been awake for about 40 hours with a short two hour nap at a rest area on the way in. Still, no complaints in that department.

Throughout the two days, we did see bags of dirty linen and trash in the hallways for prolonged periods of time, with no housekeeping to be seen in the process of taking care of it. And I also saw two large bins labeled "trash" on the side outside our building, never used, never moved in the over 36 hours we were there. Maybe you'd want to use them for their obvious need? Just a suggestion.

Check out was easy, but only one person manning the front desk at 11 AM (Check-out time) made for a brief wait. In the time my girlfriend checked out, I had pulled the car from across the street, parked, loaded our luggage, grabbed a drink, and returned the cart as she was just finishing up.

All together, not a totally bad stay, but like I said, you get what you pay for. $45 total after taxes, and if we got that deal again, I'd stay there, but I wouldn't pay much more.

Room Tip: Room 526 was our room. Our "partial ocean view" was just enough for us. Two queen bed room...
2 Thank Heath S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Grove City, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and i stayed there room was clean. Exelent location and view of the ocean. Elevator had some issues but all in all a nice place to stay cheap. We would stay there again. And lots of pools and stuff for kids to do also.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kernersville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Room was run down. Blood on sheets on one bed. Smelled mildewed in room. Not a good atmosphere. Staff was very polite and refunded our money. They offered us another room in the older section. Didn't want to take a chance with an even older room when the newer section was bad.

1 Thank Sam M

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

we stayed during october bike rally and never stayed here before it is so much better then the other placed we stayed for the last 7 years and much cheaper the people at the front desk were so polite and very patient and helped us in every way we already booked for the end of october we will stay there from now on the room was excellent also ty so much for a great stay we booked 4 rooms for the rally

Room Tip: we were on the 10th floor but rather have one next time on lower floors im 65 dont care to be that h...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Fort Pierce, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Arrived on Friday and staying until Monday. (OCT 4-7). Checked in at front desk. A very polite young man by the name of Tray waited on us. Seemed to be a problem with the total cost of the stay. I booked this thru Smokey Mountain Getaway..Problem resolved, I paid a few "cents" more and was upgraded to a condo...Didn't have queen beds, full beds..which I found out upon arriving in room. Stained carpet, hole in sofa, towels and wash cloths like sandpaper. But the rooms were clean for the first day..Second day, beds weren't made, towels not exchanged until we called front desk at the end of the day. Inside at pool area, hot tub very dirty, pool towels again very rough. Full beds not very comfortable. Staff friendly...except for one staff member that made a comment to me while standing outside looking up at the various floors, and said he was looking to see"what idiots were leaving their sliding door open to the balcony". He was talking about the guest....and I was a guest. He was repairing the gate lock leading from the pool to the beach. For the price it isn't a bad hotel...with some "tlc" it could be a better place. Good location, had ocean view. Kitchenette was nice in our room...No continential breakfast.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Green Cove Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our room 918 had a great view, nice kitchen and beds. Balcony was were nice. The room has been remodeled in the last 1-2 years and is nice. It didn't have enough pans for 4 people, but we brought our own skillet. Biggest problem is that the carpet needs to be deep cleaned a few times each year, granted we were at the end of the season - but you feet turned black from the carpet. Staff was great and the price was very good. We would stay again after this 4 night visit.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the oceanfront, get a high as possible, and away from the elevators noise.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed from Monday to Saturday at the Palmetto Shores. The staff (Briana and Torey) at the front desk was very nice they always took the time to address my concerns and make me feel as a important guest. The housekeeping and other staff were always friendly and nice. While the hotel is a little older I found it to be clean and very well located.

Room Tip: Book a room away from the elevators as they tend to get a little loud at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo