“They Let The Bed Bugs Bite, Alright.”

Palmetto Shores Oceanfront
Ranked #124 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Gastonia, North Carolina
“They Let The Bed Bugs Bite, Alright.”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The price was definitely perfect for a weekly getaway for my boyfriend and I. Especially with our AAA discount. Unfortunately the fourth day in, we woke up to find that we both had mosquito-like bites all over our bodies. We barely stayed in the hotel as it was, so we thought they were just that. Next morning, we had even more bites and we itched like crazy. I noticed a bug on the sheet that resembled a tick, so I jumped up and checked the bed and we found a little family scurrying in-between the sheets! After killing them, I googled "bed bugs", and that's exactly what they were. We immediately packed our things and asked for another room. The lady didn't ask questions, which I thought was a little odd but she sent us 3 more stories up. I checked the new bed and between the sheets and no bugs were seen thank goodness. Woke up the next morning to find even more bites on our legs and arms, and found them in between the mattress. I hate it so much that this had to happen on our stay, because we most likely would have came back. :(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank briannag89
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I am very sorry to hear about the issues with the room. We work very hard to keep pest issues to a minimum and to make sure they do not come back. As we do winter maintenance being more pro active with pest elimination is a big item for us. Again, I apologize for a less than great stay and please know we do take your feedback seriously.

Dave Rodham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Athens, TN
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Seriously, for the money, this place is a FIVE STAR hotel.
We arrived in Myrtle Beach and had no reservations. My family of 4 and our toy Yorkie, sought out accommodations, stopping every place that had "pet friendly" on their sign.
We viewed all of them that had vacancies, every one of those were, to be blunt, gross, nasty, and totally appalling . All had an odor worse than a dog groomers bathing area.

After 6 hours of searching and viewing, we were down to our last 2 options, the Patricia Grand and Palmetto Shores.

Palmetto Shores greeted my son and I with a smile, and a warm welcome. I really think that the young lady who checked us in, could see we were exhausted and aggravated.

She told us that she did have exactly what we were looking for, 2 bedroom, ocean front. And after she told me the total, I just knew it had to be like the others, a complete dump. I asked to view the room, she complied. Let me tell you, my son and I could not get back to the office quick enough to purchase the week. The other 2 waiting in the SUV were relieved we found a place as well.

Oh good grief, I almost forgot, they gave us breakfast vouchers for our entire stay, 9.00 per person....unbelievable!

Clean, clean, clean! Nicely decorated, fully equipped kitchen with living room. All rooms have flat screens as well. Love the washer and dryer in the unit as well. The lazy river, all the pools and hot tubs clean to perfection. Both bedrooms have their own full bath, just gotta love that!

I'm currently in my room, 25*...not gonna give complete #...just letting you know I am here and will take plenty of pics and post them soon, so that you see exactly what I am describing.

Oh, never made it to the Patricia Grand....no need, this place is perfect. Kinda ironic, my first name is Patrica ;).

We will DEFINITELY stay here again.
The location, well it can't any better. Plenty for all to do and see within walking distance.

Thank you Palmetto crew!!! We love it here!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank chazee1
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We really work hard to provide a positive guest experience and we are happy that you enjoyed it. Thank you for staying and we hope you come back soon.

Forked River
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This was our 2nd stay at this resort. Our first experience was April 2011 and we had an oceanfront 2 bed, 2 bath with full kitchen. Not a bad room, it was in one of the other buildings. However this stay, October 5 -8 was another story. I should have known better due to the price per night. We were in the main building where registration is. We arrived early and they accommodated us and let us check in extremely early which we were grateful since we drove through the night. However, the room was extremely small. The bathroom even worse. The noise level from the street was horrible. You would think the balcony door was open all night. As for the mold, smell and bugs. Not good. Ants crawling all over the outside of the fridge plus other bugs, one being a roach on the dresser. Disgusting. Mold was on parts of the ceiling and growing out of the switch plates and plug plates. Peeling wall board as well. The hallways smelled and the room was musty. The carpet was slippery probably from not being cleaned properly when steamed cleaned. Do not believe the pictures on hotels.com or their site. It is not a true representation. Will choose another place next time

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Palmetto Shores. We are an older property that strives to be clean and well maintainted and we are priced accordingly. Some of our rooms are smaller due to the age of the property. Again we do price them more than fairly. As for the noise, the weekend you stayed was part of the fall bike week and it was louder than most weekends. However there is no excuse for a poorly tended room. Again we strive to be better and I do hope you try us again one day.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in at Myrtle Beach. The staff is great and very friendly. Thanks Ray, Keisha, Charlie and Chris for going above and beyond to make our stay pleasant..Jayme,Lysa,Issac and Ava.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback. We are a value priced hotel that works hard to provide helpful friendly service and a clean and well maintained property. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you return to see us soon.

Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you are looking for an affordable, clean, friendly place to stay at the beach look no farther!!! The staff is friendly and goes the extra mile to make sure their guests are happy and comfortable. My sister and I usually go to the beach late spring and early fall and have staying at Palmetto Shores for the last 10 years. I will not stay anywhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your very nice feedback. You really hit upon what we strive to achieve, affordable, clean and friendly. As a very basic property, thats what we can offer along with a great location. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Palmetto Shores the weekend of September 21-23 thinking the rates would be lower and it wouldn't be as crowded. The overall feeling of the hotel was that it needed a good cleaning. It was rundown - not anything like the pictures showed. We had to "shoulder" the door to our room open. There were live roaches on the nightstand, head board, and kitchen counter. Also I killed one running up the wall. Two large bottles of shampoo and conditioner were left by a previous customer. Honestly, we spent very little time in the room and when we did, we were almost afraid to sit on any of the furniture. The room felt like it needed disinfected. The refrigerator and freezer doors were on backwards making it very difficult to get into either. The freezer worked fine, the fridge barely kept items at room temperature. The ice machine in the lobby hallway was broken with a sign directing us to an adjacent building for ice. THAT ice machine was empty the entire time. The staff did come in and spray for bugs, but I mean REALLY? This place was disgusting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I am very sorry about your experience at Palmetto Shores. We do advertise that Wi Fi is only available in our business center and in the lobby. As for the bugs, like anyone else we have occasional issues that have to be addressed from time to time. I am sorry that you did have that issue in your room. We are very proactive when it comes to all forms of pest control. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay, and I hope you will give us a try in the future.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for one night, we booked it through a Hotwire deal that said it was a 3 Star Hotel with a good rate but I couldn't see the name until after I booked it. Well after reading what it had to offer and getting a 3 Star rating I assumed it would be a nice place to stay on our last night. This was the worst place I have ever stayed, it looked like a dirty motel not a resort at all! Where to start...our room was in the third building and we had to walk up a flight of steps just to get to the elevator to take us up to our room, try doing this with all of your luggage on a luggage cart! The elevator was the most sketchy elevator ever, it bounced when it started and once you got to your level it would bounce 2 more times, very scary! Once we got into our room, I was disgusted! The room looked dirty and very out dated! The door to the balcony shook and even with it locked you could very easily push it open. The balcony railing shook so if you leaned on the railing you would most likely fall!!! The kitchen appliances were so out dated, we didn't even use them. There was something that looked like blood on the sheets. The property is very loud, and all night it sounded as if someone was trying to break in. They only have one ice machine in the main building to use and it didn't work, and the hotel worker stated it rarely ever works! I have never been so glad to leave a property more in my life than this crappy MOTEL!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are an older property that provides good service and a quality room that is priced accordingly. We are a no frills value destination. The building you stayed in is unique the way it was built and does have some challenges. The elevator is old but is safe and reliable. And again, since we are a value property we will not have the most update kitchen items in our room. However, if the room was not properly cleaned, there is no excuse for that. I apologize that your stay was not great, but please consider us again in the future. We work hard every day to keep improving.