“It is what it is”

The Virginian Motel
Ranked #164 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed on the 4th floor facing the ocean, the view wasn't bad. 4 flights of stairs is rough but it is what it is. I suppose my only real complaint would be the fact that we reserved a kitchen room and at least expected something to be provided, nothing, nothing provide.....that's all fine and good but at least tell me so I can come actually prepared. I mean we went from camping in a tent to having 4 walls, a roof, and a convenient toilet, so it is what it is.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank needlesskaos

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We thought we were getting a good deal by going here but it was quite the opposite. As soon as we checked in the management seemed off but we got our keys and went to our room. Once in our room we were immediately ready to leave! It was filthy! Grease splatters all over the wall above the stove area, dirty bathroom and smelled awful. The swimming pool was disgusting as well. We went back to the front desk and told them there was no way we were staying there and he kept saying there was nothing he could do. At the time we were all in our early 20's and just could not get through to this man, so our friend had his mom call and talk to the manager. The manager began to tell her that we were rude and yelling at him and demanding things and saying that he never told us he wouldn't refund us which was not the case. In the end we paid the first night and were refunded the rest of the money which was fine by us. We went across the street and got a great hotel for a little bit more money. Please stay far away from this place! Awful experience!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AmberU60
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Rude owners who spoke poor English was just the start. So much unnecessary paperwork and the rules were very demanding. The room was gross hair on the pillows and stains all over the bathroom. Dirt everywhere and terrible decorating. Once nightfall hit I was scared I lifted up the sheets to see stains and more dirt. Checked out at 1 in the morning. As I was checking out I felt I was being accused by my father when I was 13.. I had friend meet us to pick us up and I was talking to them, the owner peered out the glass and said who are you talking to. Like who are you? So I would recommend never staying here. Gross. Rude. Waste of $49.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ShaySc
Reviewed February 17, 2013

When i first got to the hotel they wanted mine and my husbands id just so we could stay. They tried to get me to give them my TWO YEAR OLDS id until they figured out that she was TWO!!! My father n law and mother n law were visiting me an my family for the first time. They werent spending the night but just visiting,since they were there us the staff got mad and wanted to argue with me bc they were there they told me that i could either pay for them being there or i could leave. They ended up charging me for them to spend the night,they charged me for 2 nights when they only spent 1 night. The pictures that i saw on kayak looked nothing like what the room really looked like. The room stayed to hot,and the bed was barely big enough for me and my husband. I would not recomend this hotel to my fam,friends no one,next time i think ill just stay in ramada or la quinta. Way better hotels then this hotel will ever be.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank proudmama0508
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My fiancee
and I come to Myrtle Beach atleast twice a month and stay all weekend, we stayed at many hotels and motels off and on the beach. The Virginian is a nice place to stay if you don't mind bringing your own amendities. It is a verly quiet place, close to everthing and private.We even booked a extra day. The sheets, bathroom, cooking area very clean made us feel like we were home. We will book The Virginian next time we come to Myrtle Beach.

Room Tip: The pics are excactly what you get/
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marjorie C
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was a last minute booking, since I am prone to last minute getaways. Great value, wonderful staff, very pleasant, good location. The only thing that I would have liked to be different, is for the shower head to be higher or adjustable, I am 5'10, so I was quite a bit higher, but really just attributes to it being an older building, which is not really that big of an issue, with the value!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Christina_Harper
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Once again I shot myself in the foot and waited too long to make a Myrtle Beach reservation. I made this last minute one through Booking.com, whose quoted price was not honored by the hotelier - due to 'confusion about the occupancy tax.' (Booking.com said it was partially included in their quote - the front desk clerk said it was not.)

The room was sizeable, the bed was fairly comfortable, the air conditioning unit was way too noisy, the bathroom was as basic as basic gets, there was a mini fridge with a leak and a microwave, and there was a partial ocean view when the curtains were open. The neighborhood is pretty whacky - mostly sketchy, but one of Tripadvisors highest rated MB properties is literally across the street.

I am not planning on staying here again - instead I am planning on being more pro-active to get better reservations at more highly rated properties with more amenities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo