“Good motel, for the Price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Virginian Motel

The Virginian Motel
Ranked #173 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
“Good motel, for the Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Me and my friends stayed at this hotel for a couple days, and it was good for what we paid. we basically only needed a place to sleep, because we spent most of our time at the beach or just hanging around the area and broadway at the beach. the people at the front desk were very helpful, and the room was decent. also is right across the street from the beach!.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sammy R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

It drives me nuts when people pay 1-2* prices and expect 4* ammenities. I am not picky, and have even stayed in hostels, but you have to change your expectations for each place you go and each situation.

My mom and I got to the beach one night early, but at about 2am, everything we went by was booked, or too expensive to use for just a few hours, until we found this place. It looks run down, and is. The office does stink, but when I got to our room I was quite surprised. It was neat and ok clean, slightly musty. (I didn't look behind the dresser, or inspect under the sink like some reviewer did...) The bathroom looked ok. We did not shower, just slept hard, then went to our other previously booked hotel and checked in so I can't comment on that. We were surprised to find 2 queen beds, a small table, micro, and full size fridge. We didn't hear any noises, and the curtains kept the room dark. The A/C worked great! The guy at the desk wasn't overly friendly, but by no means rude. Just remember you are not spending much time in your room at the beach, and its right across the road! I most likely wouldn't go back, but it can be an affordable option for some people!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lioncutie7337
Morrisville, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

The people that run the hotel are rude, and do not speak English well at all, so checking in is hard to do while asking questions. The rooms are not very clean, trash and debris behind the dresser, the floors did not look like they were vacuumed. The bathrooms need new shower curtains and a good scrubbing underneath the sinks at the baseboards and wall. Hardly any outlets in the room at all. No water pressure in the shower, and both my girlfriend and I (5'7, and 5'8) were taller than the shower head by a decent amount. There were potential vomit stains on the side of the box spring, and there were no fitted sheets on the beds, only flat sheets. No blankets either, simply the gross bedspread. We called to see if we could check out a little early, because we were exhausted and wanted to sleep some more, and when we called down to the front desk, the man answered said "no, I have someone else coming" and then hung up on us. You couldn't dial any number except 0 for the front desk. I guess we got what we paid for, but honestly, those rooms should have been much cheaper than the $71 a night after taxes that we paid. Perhaps 40 a night is more like it. It could be a great little motel if someone were to take better care of it and clean up the typical outdoor beachy moldiness around the edges, and the urine smell in the stairways, and most of all the cleanliness of the rooms. I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Prestonsburg, Kentucky, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

We just returned from myrtle beach, & the Virginian, for the price was ok hotel, rooms were clean and did have a partial ocean view. I wouldn't suggest for family, single or couples only, unfortunately we weren't aware & took our 2 children with us, for most of the night (every night that we were there) there were what I assumed were college kids running back & forth in front of our rooms yelling & cursing. As far as the other rooms, it was very quiet while they were inside and you didn't here noises coming thru the walls or from upstairs, but when they were on the balcony they were very loud, and was a little uncomfortable for the children. Also the phone in the room never worked, except the one time the owner called to check on us to make sure everything was ok, then turned back off...found that a lil strange House keeping was extremely friendly. :)

Room Tip: I would recommend paying directly thru hotel, we used kayak and paid $100 more than if we had booked...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy M
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

The hotel is on the older side but it was clean and quiet. Great view of the ocean from our room. The staff was very polite and friendly. You get what you pay, at $40 a night I was not expecting the Ritz. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 72chd
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Me my friend and my Boyfriend booked online and thought it would be an OK visit... we get there and the guy in the office is rude wouldn't let us look at the room and the front office stunk so bad that we asked for a refund before we even agreed cause I knew I wasn't staying but anyway in the front office he had boxes from domino's holding office equipment very business like huh.. lol so we start up the the stares and every room we go by you can see mold on the curtains... we finally reach our room and notice brown stuff on the cutting the AC falling out old ashtrays laying around outside the lock on the door is very rusted and like shifted from where it should be.. we open the door and the smell of urine can knock you back out.. there's mold on the AC shock looks like its falling apart the bath tube was nasty it was orange and brown colored looked as if it ain't been cleaned in years... when we checked out he was rude and I felt very unsafe.. I wouldn't recommend this awful place to my worse enemy period

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Danielle_wv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

We booked 1 night here months in advance so got the room for $32 including tax. Sure the hotel is dated and the bathroom was a little unclean. But the hotel is located 1 min from the beach and close to loads of putt putts and restaurants ( road behind hotel not along the road at the front ). The owners were friendly and helpful and the room had free wifi comfy beds and a large tv. I slept very well in total silence. My only criticism would be the toilet was dirty and the towels had hair on them apart from that though well worth the thirty bucks

• Stayed March 2012