“Loved the view”

The Breakers Resort
Ranked #31 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed March 11, 2007

We booked 16 rooms for our employees to attend a conference March 2-4, 2007. The hotel worked with us to ensure that everyone had what they needed. One or two rooms where not sleep ready but they quickly made the necessary changes and the weekend went wonderful. During the past 6 years we have stayed at several motels nearby, and did not feel as sincerely welcomed as we did here. Hope to stay here again next year!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed March 6, 2007

Fortunately, having a great Customer Service rep at the counter does make profits for a corporate hotel. But, unfortunately, selling a guest a room that contradicts the guests very specific requests only creates ill will, bad word of mouth advertising and the loss of a return guest.
I was a walk-in customer on a very quiet Saturday night, off-season, and wanted a room for three nights. I only had a three night, four day vacation this year, and really wanted an experience to remember for the rest of the year, when I spend my days making sure MY guests have a perfectly wonderful experience at my hotel property. My only requirements- a king bed, great view of the ocean without looking at someone else's balcony and, if possible, a jacuzzi tub. The Guest Service manager was helpful in placing us in a two full bed, limited-view room for the 1st night, as all other preferred rooms were apparently already booked. We were fine with that, believing that his selection for the following two nights would make up for the inferior room the 1st night. Upon changing rooms the second day (Sunday), we discovered that the room he described as "ocean view", was in fact about a 20% view of the ocean, a little more IF you were standing at the kitchen window. Otherwise, the view was the entire side of the building next door, and the city. We had a better view of the top of the parking deck a block away. The only way to have privacy and see the ocean was to have the curtain closed at least 60%. The jacuzzi tub had a broken handle to enter the tub (a golden opportunity to have a serious injury and perhaps litigation) and the glass enclosed shower leaked all over the floor, so we had to use two of the four bath towels to mop up the water to prevent a slip and fall. And, they considered this room their "Honeymoon Suite"! The bed, however, was comfortable and the room spacious for a standard room. We were offered another room with a true ocean view, but that room was depressingly dark, narrow and ill conceived, with the room you enter into from the hallway being the bedroom, and the room overlooking the ocean, a small, barebones, cheaply outfitted living room. Had they simply switched the living room with the bedroom, it would have been much better suited. (Imagine having guests up to your room to entertain, only to have them walk first through the bedroom!) The pool, although large and inviting, was poorly maintained, with missing tiles and upon stepping down the ladder, the second rung gave way and caused a slight knee injury. (I am not overweight, but average) Had I been less cautious, this might have caused a serious injury and perhaps litigation. No towels were provided for the pool area, so when we returned to the room, we had no more clean towels to use to shower for dinner. A coffee maker is provided in the room, but no coffee, filters, or other amenities. Also, no pen, paper ,or local map was in the room. The shampoo was terribly cheap and really quite useless. If you really want to be in the middle of Myrtle Beach, and all its tawdry carny atmosphere, then the location is the only positive aspect of choosing this particular hotel. Perhaps when twenty and drunk, the the lack of a view and poor amenities really don't matter on the whole scheme of things. This was our 1st trip to Myrtle Beach, and as it stands now, our last. In the future, I will look at other beach front properties further north toward the outer banks, or south (I liked Georgetown, Murrell's Inlet and Pawley's Island) but definately out of the corporate chaos of this rundown, somehow sadly depressing and tired city.

Stayed: March 2007
4  Thank WNC_SavyTrav'ler
Reviewed February 23, 2007

We visited Myrtle Beach and stayed in the Paradise Tower last year for Valentine's Day. We were so delighted with our stay that we returned again this year. The accommodations are first rate. The oceanfront room was a very welcome site to wake up to. I actually got up to watch the sunrise over the ocean. I enjoyed a very relaxed stay with so many conveniences at my disposal! We really didn't need to leave the premises.

I especially enjoyed dining at Papa's Restaurant (right across from the Paradise Tower) for a Valentine's "special". The food was delicious, the serving sizes plentiful, and live entertainment a delight (at a great value I might add).

I am looking forward to returning again soon.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank NYGIDGET
Reviewed February 19, 2007

We stayed at the Breakers Paradise Tower for the first time this past weekend. We found the room, a deluxe oceanfront suite, to be similar to most other hotels at Myrtle Beach. It was clean, and
there were no major issues with the furnishings or layout. It was nice to have a more modern kitchen, with a smooth top range and an over range microwave, as well as amenities such as paper towels in the kitchen and a hair dryer in the bathroom. The view was great from our room, and the indoor pool facilities were also very nice (2 spas, lazy river, kids pool, and large pool). Overall, it was a nice hotel in a good location. However, during our four day stay, there was no hot water for showers or baths on two of the four days! When I called to report the problem, I was told that there was nothing they could do regarding hot water usage during "peak times." I was very surprised as this happened at several times throughout the day, not just during the morning and the hotel had vacancy. The water was so cold that I was forced to heat pots of water on the stove for my son's bath. Not what you want to do be doing on vacation! We were offered a free dinner at the hotel restaurant, but declined because we already had dinner plans. There was no offer of any discount on the room, which would have made me respect the management a bit more. Anyway, I woul seriously reconsider staying at this hotel again, given the hot water issues. We were told after the complaint from the front desk personnel that this had been a problem over the past few weekends. Makes me wonder why my complaint was written off as peak usage! We have stayed at several hotels in Myrtle Beach at all times of the year and have never had this problem. If the hot water capacity is not enough for wintertime guests, I doubt they will be able to accomodate summertime crowds.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank mommytoaidan
Reviewed January 26, 2007

My husband and I went for a weekend away from our five children. This doesn't happen often. We wanted to make the most of every minute of it!
Upon check in at 7:30-8:00 pm, we went to our room, which parking is across the street. We had to get all of our luggage across the street, which was not conveinient at all. As soon as we stepped into the door, leading to the elevators, a major ,strong chlorine odor was present. We arrive on our floor, it smelled funny and was way too warm. When we entered the room, it was way too warm as well and took a while to get the lights on. Bathroom was very small and lighting was very dim.
We turned on the air, {in hopes of it cooling down} and went down to the pool. We were then chilled to the bone when we got off the elevator near the pool because the main door for entering the building is right there as well. We hurried into the pool room and was taken aback by the chlorine smell. It wasn't just a little over chlorinated! We felt the water in the kiddie pool - it was freezing! The regular pool was almost as cold! {They advertise all heated pools!} In the meantime, our eyes are stinging,burning, and getting red! We enter the hot tub for less than 5 minutes. Our total time there was no more than 10 minutes. We were feeling sick from the fumes and our eyes killing us. We weren't the only ones dissappointed & complaining. We head back to the room. Got dressed for dinner out. When we came back, our room was still hot,sticky,and stinky! We could hear everything going on in the room next to us, which was annoying. Undoubtably the walls are paper thin! The beds were miserable!!!We called the front desk asking if there was a late check out because we were kept awake with the noise and general uncomfortableness. They were rude and quick but said fine, just be out by 12:30! {didn't ask what any of the problems were} BUT....housekeeping walked in twice and knocked several times asking why we were still there. A little after noon, front desk called to say "IT'S ALMOST 12:30, ARE YOU CHECKING OUT!"
That did it for me! OR so I thought! We thought we could salvage the afternoon by swimming a couple hours. Maybe the pool had been severely over chlorinated and not posted or something! But when we reached the pool area we met some folks heading away from the pool , with crying children in tow. They said they had been in the pool a few minutes and were getting sick, their eyes were all red. They said something must be wrong with the pools.
At the desk checking out I very kindly told the cashier that they might want to have maintance check the air in the room. She rudely said "what's wrong?" I said "It stayed the same warm temp no matter what the setting." she looked at me like I was stupid and said "Didn't you have one of these in your room, pointing to a thermostat, WELL, you're suppose to turn that on!" HELLO!! I said "yes, IT DOSEN"T WORK!!!!!! It was on 60 degrees and still it was warmer than comfortable!"
AND do you know why this is the only motel or any public place that has a killer amount of chlorine? The three front desk/cashier women started laughing saying they had no idea, that it was checked every morning. Then laughing one of them said "They use alot of chlorine because kids pee in the pools all the time!!!" I stood there in shock!

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank THEATERLIFE
Reviewed January 15, 2007

We stayed at the Breakers, Paradise Tower in Myrtle Beach, unit 478. The room was absolutely beautiful with the most fabulous view. There is a balcony and a wall of windows! It was very comfortable, and everything was provided. The staff were very helpful and friendly! The pool , lazy river and jacuzzi's were clean and refreshing! There was so much to do nearby. We went to a couple of shows and shopped till we dropped. This is definately a place to visit again and again!!

Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Having stayed in one section of the Breakers Resort for our daughter's wedding in April, we were eager to return after the holiday frenzy to relax in the Paradise Tower where the Lazy River can be found. Our room was spacious and very clean. When we found we didn't have any hangers, we called the desk and they brought up a dozen within 10 minutes of our call. Likewise, when we couldn't figure out how to work one of the TV sets, someone came up immediately to help us. It was excellent service for such a large property! The room rates were great and we loved being right on the beach with a view of the ocean from our balcony. We would recommend this hotel to any vacationers!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple