“North Tower Nightmare”

The Breakers Resort
Ranked #29 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 11, 2005

My 3 kids, my husband and myself recently stayed at the Breakers Hotel in Myrtle Beach, SC in the NORTH TOWER and it was awful. I saw alot of good reviews for the hotel and was excited right up to the point I opened the door to the room. When they tell you the North tower is the newest building of the hotel they mean the most recently aquired. It is not three star accomodations by any stretch of the imagination. It is absolutely 1970's cast off hideous the curtains and bedding look like you could make some type of carnival tent out of them. The carpet is old and dirty and they just lay your pillows on top of the bed they don't even try to dress it up at all. We booked here knowing the main pools and lazy river was six blocks away because we thought this was a new building. We called for house keeping one day and came back three hours later only to have to call again. I used on online site that starts with an E to book this room and the pictures we looked at did not match this room. On our first night we had to change rooms at midnight due to the noise from next door and a LOUDLY slamming stairwell door. The elevators are soooo slow it takes forvever. This terrible place almost ruined our whole trip. If you read any good reviews about this place its not for the North tower trust me. I wish everyone would include the name of the tower they stayed in in their reviews. The other guests we spoke with in this tower were mislead as well and none of them were happy either. My advice stay somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank MelRuth1976
Write a ReviewReviews (4,189)

St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 7, 2005

Read all the good reviews, and was excited for the trip with our two children ages 5 and 7. We stayed in the Palmetto, or South tower, and I think that makes a big difference, negatively. Most good reviews seem to have stayed in the newly remodeled Paradise. The Palmetto, which I paid extra on a online site to stay at-verses the North tower that dind't have an indoor pool-a must since it rained a lot!, was, well how else do I say it, scary!! It is in need of desperate repair!! Ceiling tiles broken and not replace. Peeling wall paper and old paint jobs. Dirty carpet and very loud rooms. I will have to say that the staff did try to accommodate us. We stayed in 3 different rooms in our 5 night stay (for various problems including loud guests and smoke smell in room). They were all ocean side view...which was horrible...because the main hotel strip is also apparently used by the local teenagers as a cruising road until all hours of the night. Loud engines and obnoxious bass soundsrang right into the room even with the air and TV on. Apparently if S.C. has a noise pollution law it isn't enforced. Also the pools weren't clean, but the kids did have fun. One time a fire exit at the bottom of the stairs was blocked by luggage carts (we used the stairs often and they were smelly and scarey) Loose tiles in the ceiling hung down even in the pool area. The hotel staff at check-in didn't supply us with any information about local stuff. The day we left on Mon they handed out a list of weekly activities, but apparently if you don't check in on Mon you're left in the dark. Shuttle service to and from the airport wasn't available as stated (they said the van was broken...but it wasn't availble two weeks prior when I called to inquire about how to utilize it). The bus shuttle service wasn't at all explained and when we tried to use for Broadway at the Beach the times stated were wrong, and they don't go everywhere-very confusing listing!!!
Overall we were very disappointed. Myrtle Beach seems more like a spring break hang out than a family place. And this hotel needs a lot of work to get it up to a three star hotel!! Definately do ocean view on any hotel at Myrtle Beach. You want to face away from the Ocean Blvd noise!!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2005

We (wife and 2 kids) had a great experience....drove our harleys....for bike week...Hotel was great,clean,friendly service....superb location.
Can not wait to go back next year...

7  Thank MikelEdh
montreal
Reviewed May 8, 2005

Phweee, after reading some reviews we still decided to go with the breakers and glad we did............we had an amazing time.........the staff was excellent...........the golf package was more than we had imagined........

I too saw sammy the squirrel...with a nodd went on our way.....
the rooms are comforable, clean, great maid service.............

pappa's......mmmhhmmmmm great food.........and coming from Montreal and some of the finest restaurants.........great place to eat.....

we will definately be back next year........

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 29, 2005

I stayed at the Breakers in April, even after I read the review written by the squirell man. I visited yellowstone where they say do not get near the bears. As you know people are people and it sounds like this gentlemans son was provoking the squirell and he is trying to get something for free. Typical these days.

The Breakers staff is excellent, the rooms are renovated unlike a lot of other hotels in Myrtle Beach. The pool area is spacious and hosts a pirate ship for my kids along with a 400 foot lazy river.

The amenities are Papa,s Restaurant, Starbucks, Baja Cantina pool bar, and apparently they are going to open an oceanfront bar and grill called the Red Parrot.

The Breakers has a great kids program called "The Bucanneer Club" fully supervised in the summertime. They play games, have crafts and take the kids on supervised waterpark trips, ripleys aquarium etc. This is great because it gives you some quality time with your spouse or significant other.

I did see the squirell and it is rare to see wildlife as in animals in downtown Myrtle Beach, he was not bothering anyone and I was there with my family for a week.

It sounds like the squirell man ate too many nuts.

We had the vacation of a liftime in the center of it all.

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank shelleye
Reviewed April 6, 2005

We stayed at the Breakers during Spring Break 2005. Here are the top ten reasons why you shouldn't:
1. We arrived during a rain storm. Our room was soaking wet (the carpets) and we were told to put some towels down. When we finally got someone to respond, the maintanance manager told the front desk to switch our room. That was wet as well. The rain was coming through the poor seal of the balcony doors and soaking nearly all the way to the front door of the room itself. We were rudely told we could take another room that was not oceanfront for the night. No offer to help us with our luggage (after two room switches, driving hours in the rain at night and two overly tired children).
2. The bed was so lumpy and hard it's a wonder it didn't break in two when we sat on it. My back hurt so bad after the first night that I literally had no sleep for the duration of the trip.
3. We have a handicapped tag for our car and discovered that the handicapped parking was the distance of two hotels away from the elevator. Needless to say, walking that distance was painful and slow. And when we arrived back at the hotel the next night after dinner, those same handicapped parking signs had been turned around to read, "15 minute parking for unloading only." When I complained at the front desk that they had all been turned around to accommodate arriving guests, I was told by a very rude man behind the counter, "the signs must have blown around in the wind. Just park anywhere you find a spot." I informed him that there were no spots available anywhere. All of them were taken by people unloading. Still no one came out to assist us and we wound up waiting much longer than 15 min. for someone to finally move their car. Even then my husband had to turn the unloading sign around to read, "handicapped parking" once again. Ridiculous.
4. The employees have been feeding peanuts to a squirrel in a tree just outside the pool area. They would stick around to watch and laugh when guests would walk by the tree and the squirrel jumped down and screeched to protect his food. When my son left the pool area the squirrel climbed up his leg, bit him badly in the thigh and deeply scratched his arms and thumb while my son frantically tried to knock it off of him. The same rude people behind the counter told us to get medical attention and to return to fill out a report. No one seemed concerned at all. After waiting for hours in the emergency room we were fortunate that he did not need a rabies shot. But they did need to clean out the wounds (which were very swollen, bleeding and painful) and cover them with bandages. My son could not swim for several days and he would not be able to enjoy the remainder (two days) of our trip. We arrived back at the hotel to find that they had no intention of filling out an injury report. We asked that the hotel manager call us back.
5. The hotel manager refused to call us back (the assistant manager) until she was done eating her dinner. I'm glad she ate. All we had was vending machine snacks at the hospital.
6. No one would adjust our bill due to negligence and poor judgment on the part of the Breaker employees who put guests at risk for their own amusement. Mr. Paul Williams, the general manager, finally returned my husband's calls 5 days later and suggested that a security officer report he had on file said my son must have provoked the squirrel. He knew the squirrel, he said and it has never bitten anyone before. Yeah sure. There was no security officer anywhere near the scene of the injury to even help us, let alone write a report and my son did not provoke the animal. This is what happens though when you feed wild animals.
7. Mr. Williams would not consider paying for our emergency room fee, or our prescription for the antibiotic my son needed to take for 10 days, or the hotel charges for the two days we lost while we took my son's temperature for two days to check for fever from the bite and stayed out of the sun and the water as directed by the hospital.
So we are out a lot of money.
8. The staff is so rude and ignorant of what guest relations is, that the term "repeat guest" should be an oxymoron for the Breakers.
9. The hot tubs in the laxy river section were filthy and had debris floating around that was unrecognizable to any of us.
10. Unless you pay the lifeguard on the beach $20.00 to rent a tent and sand chairs for a full day, you will either be forced to set your blanket in front of them at the water's edge, or else you will need to set up your beach camp behind them, thus giving up all views to the ocean, for which you've already paid a fortune for at the hotel. I can't imagine that this practice continues to go on.
So, there you have it. The truth about our experience. It might have been long but it is for you. Please stay somewhere else where they care whether or not you are satisfied. Believe me, no one at the Breakers cares.

• Stayed: March 2004
37  Thank PeakMom
chesapeake, virginia
Reviewed April 4, 2005

I recently stayed at the Breakers Resorts in Myrtle Beach SC. My family and I throughly enjoyed our stay. The rooms were nicely kept and clean. I really enjoyed my stay. I would reccommend this resort for and enjoyable family vacation.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member