“Just great!!!”

Ranked #29 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
El Dorado Hills, California
“Just great!!!”
Reviewed May 21, 2005

We (wife and 2 kids) had a great experience....drove our harleys....for bike week...Hotel was great,clean,friendly service....superb location.
Can not wait to go back next year...

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank MikelEdh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,047)
Reviewed May 8, 2005

Phweee, after reading some reviews we still decided to go with the breakers and glad we did............we had an amazing time.........the staff was excellent...........the golf package was more than we had imagined........

I too saw sammy the squirrel...with a nodd went on our way.....
the rooms are comforable, clean, great maid service.............

pappa's......mmmhhmmmmm great food.........and coming from Montreal and some of the finest restaurants.........great place to eat.....

we will definately be back next year........

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Conway
Reviewed April 29, 2005

I stayed at the Breakers in April, even after I read the review written by the squirell man. I visited yellowstone where they say do not get near the bears. As you know people are people and it sounds like this gentlemans son was provoking the squirell and he is trying to get something for free. Typical these days.

The Breakers staff is excellent, the rooms are renovated unlike a lot of other hotels in Myrtle Beach. The pool area is spacious and hosts a pirate ship for my kids along with a 400 foot lazy river.

The amenities are Papa,s Restaurant, Starbucks, Baja Cantina pool bar, and apparently they are going to open an oceanfront bar and grill called the Red Parrot.

The Breakers has a great kids program called "The Bucanneer Club" fully supervised in the summertime. They play games, have crafts and take the kids on supervised waterpark trips, ripleys aquarium etc. This is great because it gives you some quality time with your spouse or significant other.

I did see the squirell and it is rare to see wildlife as in animals in downtown Myrtle Beach, he was not bothering anyone and I was there with my family for a week.

It sounds like the squirell man ate too many nuts.

We had the vacation of a liftime in the center of it all.

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank shelleye
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed April 6, 2005

We stayed at the Breakers during Spring Break 2005. Here are the top ten reasons why you shouldn't:
1. We arrived during a rain storm. Our room was soaking wet (the carpets) and we were told to put some towels down. When we finally got someone to respond, the maintanance manager told the front desk to switch our room. That was wet as well. The rain was coming through the poor seal of the balcony doors and soaking nearly all the way to the front door of the room itself. We were rudely told we could take another room that was not oceanfront for the night. No offer to help us with our luggage (after two room switches, driving hours in the rain at night and two overly tired children).
2. The bed was so lumpy and hard it's a wonder it didn't break in two when we sat on it. My back hurt so bad after the first night that I literally had no sleep for the duration of the trip.
3. We have a handicapped tag for our car and discovered that the handicapped parking was the distance of two hotels away from the elevator. Needless to say, walking that distance was painful and slow. And when we arrived back at the hotel the next night after dinner, those same handicapped parking signs had been turned around to read, "15 minute parking for unloading only." When I complained at the front desk that they had all been turned around to accommodate arriving guests, I was told by a very rude man behind the counter, "the signs must have blown around in the wind. Just park anywhere you find a spot." I informed him that there were no spots available anywhere. All of them were taken by people unloading. Still no one came out to assist us and we wound up waiting much longer than 15 min. for someone to finally move their car. Even then my husband had to turn the unloading sign around to read, "handicapped parking" once again. Ridiculous.
4. The employees have been feeding peanuts to a squirrel in a tree just outside the pool area. They would stick around to watch and laugh when guests would walk by the tree and the squirrel jumped down and screeched to protect his food. When my son left the pool area the squirrel climbed up his leg, bit him badly in the thigh and deeply scratched his arms and thumb while my son frantically tried to knock it off of him. The same rude people behind the counter told us to get medical attention and to return to fill out a report. No one seemed concerned at all. After waiting for hours in the emergency room we were fortunate that he did not need a rabies shot. But they did need to clean out the wounds (which were very swollen, bleeding and painful) and cover them with bandages. My son could not swim for several days and he would not be able to enjoy the remainder (two days) of our trip. We arrived back at the hotel to find that they had no intention of filling out an injury report. We asked that the hotel manager call us back.
5. The hotel manager refused to call us back (the assistant manager) until she was done eating her dinner. I'm glad she ate. All we had was vending machine snacks at the hospital.
6. No one would adjust our bill due to negligence and poor judgment on the part of the Breaker employees who put guests at risk for their own amusement. Mr. Paul Williams, the general manager, finally returned my husband's calls 5 days later and suggested that a security officer report he had on file said my son must have provoked the squirrel. He knew the squirrel, he said and it has never bitten anyone before. Yeah sure. There was no security officer anywhere near the scene of the injury to even help us, let alone write a report and my son did not provoke the animal. This is what happens though when you feed wild animals.
7. Mr. Williams would not consider paying for our emergency room fee, or our prescription for the antibiotic my son needed to take for 10 days, or the hotel charges for the two days we lost while we took my son's temperature for two days to check for fever from the bite and stayed out of the sun and the water as directed by the hospital.
So we are out a lot of money.
8. The staff is so rude and ignorant of what guest relations is, that the term "repeat guest" should be an oxymoron for the Breakers.
9. The hot tubs in the laxy river section were filthy and had debris floating around that was unrecognizable to any of us.
10. Unless you pay the lifeguard on the beach $20.00 to rent a tent and sand chairs for a full day, you will either be forced to set your blanket in front of them at the water's edge, or else you will need to set up your beach camp behind them, thus giving up all views to the ocean, for which you've already paid a fortune for at the hotel. I can't imagine that this practice continues to go on.
So, there you have it. The truth about our experience. It might have been long but it is for you. Please stay somewhere else where they care whether or not you are satisfied. Believe me, no one at the Breakers cares.

• Stayed March 2004
37 Thank PeakMom
Reviewed April 4, 2005

I recently stayed at the Breakers Resorts in Myrtle Beach SC. My family and I throughly enjoyed our stay. The rooms were nicely kept and clean. I really enjoyed my stay. I would reccommend this resort for and enjoyable family vacation.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario
Reviewed March 18, 2005

We stayed in the Paradise Tower, Breakers Resort in March 05, and it was fine. I'd say a good solid three star which I believe is what they advertise; none of the little luxuries that you get with a four star. We had the smallest suite which had two double beds, a sitting area, and a kitchenette which had good size fridge, microwave, coffee maker and cups, glasses and utensils. No stove or dishes which was fine with us as I didn't intend to cook while on vacation, but some people might want more. I think the larger suites have full kitchens. There were two tvs and two telephones, one of each in the bedroom area and sitting area.

The pool area was fun and of course not at all crowded this time of year. I imagine it gets busy in the summer, and there were signs saying not to reserve beach and pool seats before 9am. Access to the beach is very good.

What I didn't like is that there a road in front of the hotel, and you need to cross it to get to anywhere including the parking. There is no crosswalk, and no lights to be seen for easier crossing. Of course this applies to all the hotels along that strip, and must be awful in the summer and dangerous to pedestrians and motorists alike. I asked about it, and was just told that Myrtle Beach will not put in a cross walk.

I should add that I am not really a high-rise person. I also likely would not have picked this place if I were going in high season, just because I don't care for busy-busy places. Since this was low season, I figured it would be a good central location without being busy. I figured we wouldn't be on the beach much, but would be out and about seeing things, and it would be nice to have them within walking distance. As it is, Myrtle Beach is a car place; we could walk to a few places but really everything is a car ride away, so it wouldn't have mattered if I'd booked a smaller, quieter place out of the way as we had to drive to places anyway. Either way, out of the high rises on the beach, I think it's one of the better ones.

10 Thank travelmum
Reviewed February 22, 2005

Stayed here for 7 nights on one of the top floors of Paradise Towers. Very pleased with overall suite having read concerns of others on cleanliness front. Views of Ocean & Beachfront fantastic. Not sure who Sherry or Ray were but they kept writing messages in the sand to one another overnight. Not sure Sherry was this Ray fellas biggest fan. Hank wasn't that keen on him either.
Strangest experience was being confronted by naked man in corridor at 4am as I returned to my room. Bizarre.
Never made it into the pool but could smell the chlorine at all times!!
Very pleased with our travel agent for booking us into such a great place for such a reasonable amount.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member