The Breakers Resort
Ranked #30 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have stayed at the Breakers for the past 7 trips. Never looked anywhere else. I always knew that was the only place for us. This time, however, was different. I paid in advance 924.00 for 4 nights. Treated my kids to a 2 bedroom suite in the Paradise Towers. I even purchased breakfast for 4 for 3 mornings. I requested an early check in, it has never been a problem before and everyone bent over backwards knowing the drive for me is about 12 hours. This time we went to the desk at about 7:30am, was told ABSOLUTELY not and CHECK IN is at 3.., I asked if i can come back in an hour or so. It was a Monday morning. She said you can try but we have nothing ready. We tried to find something to kill time as we were all cranky and exhausted. Went back at 10, told the same thing. No, "LET ME SEE WHAT I CAN DO FOR YOU" nothing. I explained that i requested and early check in at least 8 months prior and have worked in a Pocono Resort for 13 years at the front I understand the procedure. I asked if she can watch for a vacancy in my room type and please ask housekeeping to do that room as soon as it is vacated for me and i asked if i can give her my cell phone number. She didnt seem too happy but wrote it down. We went to the coastal mall and didnt return until 12:30. AGAIN, I got a young girl who recognized me from waiting since early morning, went to her manager and i heard her manager on the phone as clear as a bell. She asked if room 678 was ready and the housekeeper must have said yes, the girl came out and checked me in. There was never any communication between the front office and housekeeping and it was clear to me she called at random. If she had been in commication, she would be waiting for a call from housekeeping, so that told me right there, there was no call to housekeeping prior to help me get in my room earlier even though i spent over 900.00 for 4 nights. I would have and many times did for my guests, kept in close contact with housekeeping and contacted the person and kept on top of it to make sure i did my best for the customer. OK we got in our room. We had a very nice time. Breakfast across the street was great. Great service, great housekeeping. Our relatives came down and by chance got the room next to ours which was very nice. We checked out and i forgot a pillow case, a phone charger and a pair of earrings in the room. I did not even know i left them to be honest. It so happens our relatives forgot something and had to go back, they were told by the front desk that we also forgot things in our room. My future son in laws grandparents told the front desk they live 10 minutes away from us and they would be happy to take whatever we forgot. They would not give anything to them. When they called us and told us we forgot something in the room, they said the front desk told them to have me call them, I did. Was asked to ask for a Manager who I wont mention. I did call and got a young lady who knew nothing about what i was trying to explain to her. I emailed this manager twice. I finally get a box in the mail with a cell phone charger, a pillow case and a pair of earrings. That was nice i thought. They tried to charge my Discover card for postage. After #1 our relatives offered to take with them and give to us, #2 after spending over 900.00 for 4 nights! THIS BLEW MY MIND. I love the Breakers, It is a FABULOUS place to stay. If it werent for the front desk, our trip would have been perfect. I will never believe that on a Monday morning when the parking garage across the street was EMPTY that our room was not ready until 12:30. We had to find things to keep us occupied for 5 hours! If the hotel was booked i would certainly understand. No one liked Monday mornings and couldnt be bothered to help us. What happened to the staff in previous years at the front desk? They were fabulous! Bring them back they were TRUE CUSTOMER SERVICE representatives for the Breakers Resort which ALWAYS is top notch!

Room Tip: The only reson i put poor was for the front desk, everyone i came in contact with from then on WERE...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ilovedanes404
BreakersGuestServ, Guest Relations Manager at The Breakers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

We are very glad that you and your family had a very good vacation with us, even though there was an issue with an early check-in request for 7:30am. I am glad they were able to help by getting you in at 12:30pm. We do try to accomodate early arrival requests whenever possible. Unfortunately there are times when specific unit types may not be ready even though many other room types may be. With our check-out time being 11:00am it can be very challenging to have rooms ready real early in the morning. We do apologize for this inconveience, appreciate your business, and hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,178)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I've been coming here for twenty years with a group of guys for a fall golf excursion. While the number in our party often varies from year to year, we typically get a number of three bedroom oceanfront suites (which may be contributing to my overall impression and rating). The suites are nicely appointed and very functional, with excellent views. There are fancier digs in MB for sure, but we have never been disappointed with the arrangements, accommodations or service here and, hence, have been loyal customers. Yes, as previously stated by a reviewer, our group is a bunch of guys focused primarily on the golf. With regard to the golf, Gloria, of the golf shop, is an absolute pleasure to work with. True one stop shopping: rooms, courses, tee times, etc. We typically tell her where we want to play and she comes up with great package deals year after year. She is an asset to this organization and I hope they value her contributions. Parking if free and convenient across the street. The breakfast typically included with our package is very good, including both buffet items and cooked to order foods. Good bar on premises (The Red Parrot), but plenty of options for both food and drink--many within walking distance. The Breakers is also very convenient to Broadway at the Beach.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
BreakersGuestServ, Guest Relations Manager at The Breakers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you so very much for sharing your golf group travel experience. I agree - Gloria is certainly a top notch Golf Director! We appreciate your past business and look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed mid October. Hotel mostly empty. They put me on ground floor in the loudest. noisiest room I have ever stayed in at Myrtle Beach. I needed late check out for about 1.5 hours - denied, so I had to pay for an entire extra day...again, hotel mostly empty, except for me and the drunken wedding party in the adjacent building. Housekeeping had not changed out shampoo or dish detergent from previous guests, and had only left a minimum number of towels. No reason any of this had to happen. A case of management saying "I cant help you" and really meaning "I wont help you". Will I visit the Breakers again? NO WAY!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DreadPirate4
BreakersGuestServ, Guest Relations Manager at The Breakers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Please accept my apology for any issues that caused you to have a less then satisfactory experience. I am also sending you a separate response asking you to please contact me so we can discuss this.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend. The location of the hotel is excellent, it is close to everything and has many dining options nearby. Parking is across the street and in the off-season at least it is not hard to find a parking spot (can't comment on the high season). It is clean although not the best looking building or interiors. We had a room on the second floor and we were not told that there is bar/restaurant just below our room that is open till 2 am with live music till midnight. The noise lasted a while longer after 2 am as the staff cleaned up the place and had to move furniture around. The noise between rooms was also very high. According to the hotel staff, we couldn't change rooms as no other rooms were available. The desk clerk simple shrugged the shoulders and said nothing could be done (hard to believe as it was off season and the town was almost empty). Also, if you book online you'll have to pay certain fees etc. extra when you check in. Go there for the location but be ready for disappointing service and a noisy stay.

Room Tip: You want to be on as high a floor as possible.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jadtay

Sorry to hear that you had some issues that were not addressed during your stay. We hope that you would still consider us for future visits in Myrtle Beach. I would encourage you to call the property reservations department directly so we could be sure to get you in the building of your choice. Thank you for your important comments.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Room had a great view and the staff was very friendly and I had a nice stay. The building we stayed in was starting to show its age but the room and bath was very clean nonetheless. I would suggest one of the newer towers maybe. Overall was pleased and its a good value especially in the fall. Location was great and we could walk to the pier and pavillion area.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your recent guest experience. We do continously roate thru-out the various buildings with various upgrades on a regular basis. Hopefully you will experience some of the changes during your next visit!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Great family or couple beach destination. This is my third stay and I will be back! Oceanfront rooms in the fall are incredible. The staff is friendly and the overall experience is a great value. glad I found it.

Room Tip: High floor recommended
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for sharing your recent guest experience with us. The Fall season is truly beautiful on the ocean and so many more people are realizing this each year. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The guys and I have been coming to the same hotel for over 15 years and never been disappointed with the rooms, service and golf t-time arrangements. My rating is based on a guys 6 day vacation to play golf and clearly would not rate it quite as high if my wife was with me and with her not liking golf, she would prefer to stay in a 4 star facility. When are children were 8-9 and 10 it worked out great since we could watch the kids from the balcony.

For a lower priced budget though, you can't beat the Breakers as it is close to everything and the management does a great job!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve M
BreakersGuestServ, Guest Relations Manager at The Breakers Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

We are always glad to hear from our golf groups and and that you had a great visit! A lot of of our golfers return during the summertime with their families also.