Embassy Suites by Hilton Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #19 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed January 18, 2007

We stayed at this hotel in June, 2006 and paid over $300 a night. The room was very musty, and the furniture circa 1982. I could not believe it was a Hilton when I walked into our room. The breakfast was o.k., but I've definitely had better at buffet's. The on-site restaurant was overpriced and the food gave me a stomach ache. The pool and waterpark were great, and it was nice to walk down onto a clean beach, however, the price of an umbrella was $10 a day! Bottom line, if it cost less, I wouldn't complain, but for over $300 a night, I expect much more.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank boxersrcute

Reviewed September 18, 2006

Contrary to popular opinion, "location, location, location" isn't everything. First, the good stuff: Yes, the grounds are truly lovely. Yes, the proximity to the beach is fabulous and the views are wonderful. Yes, the on site waterpark and pools are a blast for the under 12 set. Is that enough to recommend a stay? No it's not. Sorry.
Now the bad and just plain ridiculous: Three unreliable elevators servicing 250+ rooms. Two outdoor shower spigots to rinse sand from a beach full of 100's of people. Thirty bucks to rent an umbrella and two chairs for a day. Basic mechanicals such as hot water and cold ac not up to snuff. (The rooms need to be equipped with dehumidifiers or at a minimum, fans.) If you are accustomed to Embassy Suites "made to order" breakfasts, forget it-- it's strictly premade buffet style here. Clean dishes are optional. You get the idea.
The shortcomings of the hotel are just so nagging and pervasive that until Hilton sinks some major $ into renovations, I'd stay elsewhere. Unless you are getting a GREAT rate or can stay free for points, keep looking down the beach.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank MidwestFamily
Reviewed September 7, 2006

This place is a drag. I stayed there two months ago and was dissatisfied with it and complained. I used a free two night voucher to try it out again. The AC does not work well. Cleaning staff tends to wake us up at 900am each morning. The buffet looked like something from Denny's. The best part about the facility is the location which is gorgeous. The rooms are also decorated in a fashion befitting a 70's hotel, i.e. crap.

Stay elsewhere and save your money and your peace of mind.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank etohprn
Reviewed September 6, 2006

My new husband and I stayed at the Kingston Plantation last week during the Tropical Storm Ernesto. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay even during the storm. Check in was a breeze especially after a 13 hour drive.
Our room was in the Brighton tower. All rooms are on the sides of the building so everyone is able to see the ocean. There are also condos that people own and either live in or rent out to other vacationers. We were pleased with our room, Clean Bathroom and i'll also add that it was huge. Some of my complaints about the room are that the TV was a bit too tiny for the size of the room. There is a check list for maids on how many dishes are in the cabnets saying that there should be eight of everything. There was only 4 place settings. We called down to the front desk and made sure that they were aware. The checklist also listed a DVD player which was also missing. They didnt seem too interested. Be aware to bring your own chairs and umbrellas to the beach or pay an outstanding amount to rent from the lifeguard. Another thing I wasn't happy about was that if you are not staying right in the Embassy Suites hotel you do not get complimentary breakfast or cocktails. Which when I booked this hotel I didn't get an option to stay in the Embassy Suites. They automatically placed us in the Brighton Tower. We ate at both restaurants located in the Embassy. The first was Omaha Steakhouse. I did not like the atmosphere and the price for the food was way not worth it. We tried the Fisheye Grill and the atmosphere (waiters) was the same but the food & price was alot better. Otherwise we had a great time staying here. It wasn't too packed with people. IF I stay here again I will be sure to stay in the Embassy. But the ocean was worth it all!

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank Dana7859
Reviewed September 4, 2006

I read quite a few negative reviews of the hotel on this site but as a former guest of Kingston Plantation I booked a room anyway b/c of the great time we had there in the past.

First off, if you're looking for a comfortable place to bring your family this place is perfect. The rooms were clean, spacious and adequately appointed. The people who complain about the rooms on this site are most likely those pain-in-the-butt, white glove inspection, everything has to be perfect types who expect four seasons type conditions for Motel 6 prices. Yes the decor is a little dated and yes, there was a small spot of mold on our thermostat (what the "----" do you expect, the hotel is practically in the "----" ocean!) but other than that, the room was perfectly fine. The beds were comfortable and the matresses of the premium type. The housekeeping staff did a great job every day and gladly accomodated every request we had from extra towels/toiletries to showing up to the room in minutes after we called about a clogged toilet. Finally, when I checked out, my bill was exactly what they quoted me w/no hidden charges/taxes, etc.

The front desk, pool, food service and bell hop service was outstanding. We showed up an hour b4 check-in time and my wife was suffering from a some type of food poisoning. The room they assigned us was not ready yet but when I told them my wife was sick they immediately assigned us another room which was ready for occupancy. Also, I told the bellhops that I was expecting a UPS delivery while I was there and they actually called me on my cell phone when it arrived! (they must have taken it upon themselves to get my # from the front desk b/c I never gave it to them nor asked them to call me).

The free daily buffet breakfast provided a wide variety of food which was always hot/fresh and constantly being replenished (the waffles were the best I ever had!). The dining room, plates, silverware and serving dishes were always clean & sanitary. The beach was kept immaculately clean and there were plenty of lifeguards to watch the kids. The pools were nice and clean and they provided as many towels as you needed. The water park received a 5 star review from my 8 year old and there were plenty of staff assigned to it to make sure the kids didn't kill/maim themselves. The lazy river was kind of lame but I don't plan my vacations around the adequacy or lack thereof of lazy rivers! Further, if you've never stayed there before, the hotel is part of a a huge gated community consisting of the Embassy Suites, a Hilton, 2 oceanfront high rise condos, a health club/spa and a collection of 2 story townhouses. There was plenty of parking and the entire grounds were beautifully landscaped and covered with ponds, paths and foot bridges which provided a lovely backdrop for an afternoon stroll (I even saw some kids fishing on the edges of the ponds which just added to the list of activities for kids at this place). I never had an opportunity to use the health club as it was on the other end of the property so I can't comment on that. Finally, they hired an outside group of international teenagers to act as quasi camp counsellors for the kids and gave us a welcome opportunity to have a couple of "adults only" meals (and some afternoon delight if you get my drift!).

As far as the complaints about the elevators are concerned, there was one morning where 2 of the 3 cars were down which was a bit of an inconvenience but they got someone there to service them w/in the hour and for the rest of my 6 day stay we had no problems whatsoever. Also, while the 2 cars were down, the manager had one of the bellhops man the freight elevator to pick up passengers wating to get up/down (one of the bellhops did acknowledge that the elevators have been somewhat of an ongoing problem so perhaps I was jucky to be there on a good week however, if it's any indication, the hotel was packed while I was there so the elevators did get quite a bit of use w/only that one problem).

All in all, we had a great time and loved the hotel and staff. The prices were extremely reasonable especially considering all of the amenities and outstanding service. I will definitely return and wholeheartedly recommend this place to anyone (especially if you have young children).

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank 22jms
Reviewed August 26, 2006

We stayed in a 4 bedroom villa for 2 nights. It was wonderful! The villa was beautiful and felt like home. It was also in walking distance of the beach- which helped the late night beach walks. We had an older crowd, so I'm not sure about the crowded waterpark. When we went to the pool (in the evening) there was no one in it, and there are pools everywhere on the property- even one right near our villa. We go to Myrtle Beach often and usually stay in oceanfront hotels, but because we had a crowd, we tried the villa, and we are already palnning another trip soon. The property layout is great, and we are not all day beach people (we sleep in, ride around, and hit the beaches and pools in the evening), so it was perfect for us.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank KShanee
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We had stayed our first 5 nights at Myrtle Beach at an amazing hotel in North Myrtle, but they were booked solid for the last 2 nights and so we had to move to Embassy Suites, Kingston Plantation. For the price, we thought this place would be great.....were we ever wrong. The hallways in the hotel were about 90 degress as we walked to our "suite", and the air inside the room was even hotter. Seems they rig their air conditioning to cut off if anything is open, including the balcony. Ours had been cracked a little, so the air conditioning hadn't been on all that time. The furniture was horrible...outdated...they still had a big CRT tv that looked like it was from 1980. The bathroom will make you feel clausterphobic, as it it JUST fits the toilet and shower. We actually found a gigantic bug behind the toilet, which front desk said was a "palmetto bug". We did some research..and found palmetto bug is basically the local term for an oversized roach. One plus was that the beds were confortable, but who could sleep with possibly more roaches crawling around? Also, if charging $240 dollars for the room wasn't enough, be prepared to spend more money for everything!!! Local calls...75 cents. Wireless internet, 10 dollars a day. Chairs and umbrells for the beach, 30 dollars a day. After deciding 10 dollars was a bit steep just to use our laptop for a few minutes to Mapquest our way home, we walked down to the business center. Of course, we should have known....there was a pruny old lady sitting in front of the business center in a little booth, COLLECTING MONEY!!! That's right, apparntly it is $5.00 for every 30 minutes you use the business center. She wouldn't even let us get directions home. We ended up going into ANOTHER hotel to get directions. This place is simply...terrible. You don't feel welcome at all, and the decor of the room will take you out of that "beach mode" very quickly. Save your money and go somewhere else...I have stayed at Super 8's who at least let you use the business center for free...geez.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family