“Family friendly, good solid fun” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lakewood Camping Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Lakewood Camping Resort
Bel Air, Maryland
“Family friendly, good solid fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

As we drove into Lakewood this year my daughter Rachel, now 13, exclaimed: "I Love this place". With 6 other children feeling the same way Lakewood has become a touchstone of peace and relaxation. This is the 25th trip I have taken with my family to Lakewood. This year my wife rented a villa, unit 8140. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. there were 6 kids and my wife and I. Pleasant area, villa was clean and well maintained. Staff responded directly when I informed them of a broken GFI outlet in the kitchen. The campground itself is undergoing renovations, a new lazy river and huge water slides which add noise to that end of the park but it is exciting to see what it will be like.

Coffee shop is a must for morning joe and the golf carts, while pricey, are a tradition.

Room Tip: Villas on the north end are quieter. If you want to be at the hub of the action (and noise) try the...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
East Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We traveled to Lakewood Campground on Sunday July7. This was our first visit to this campground. We stayed at oceanlakes campground last year, so all comparison is with Oceanlake vs Lakewood. Prepayment was completed 3 months prior to visit. Reservation only allows you to input camper size and what area you would like to be in. Personally, I would have liked to have selected my site but I was pleased with our site. The cost was near $77 including the $10 nightly amenity fee (we only played putt-putt one time and nothing else). This cost is a little higher than other campgrounds but it will be worth it for families that will use the new waterpark and lazy river. We did get a 10% discount after arrival for GoodSams membership. This refund was credit immediately to my credit card. The staff was very friendly and willing to help in any way. The bathhouses were very clean (a little better than I found at Oceanlakes). The store was furnished with any needs or wants you can imagine. There are also various locations throughout the campground to purchase food, snacks or ice cream. The waterpark is going to be real nice when completed. The beach was not overly crowded (unlike ocean lakes). The internet service did not reach our site (better internet at our site at oceanlakes and we were far away from the main hub there ). The TV reception was snowy on most channels (oceanlakes reception was good). Overall, we really enjoyed our vacation at Lakewood. Besides internet and TV reception, I would give Lakewood a thumbsup compared to Oceanlakes. Both places are enjoyable, but the congestion of Oceanlakes is not for me. I would and probably will return to Lakewood.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be in the congestion pick an area far left of the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tnRevelator
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

In my many years in the hospitality business, I have to say Lakewood is an excellent place. Yes, there are some new improvements at the moment. But, it's to make the experience even better. Our kids have fun here, and I have no problems or concerns while they are on the campground. Security is around 24-7. The staff are ALWAYS friendly. I have enjoyed Lakewood for 3 years. So much, in fact, I bought a place for our family for years to come.

• Stayed July 2013
Hinesville, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had to switch our campground last minute for the July 4th weekend and we will never stay there again. I knew it was going to be a big campground but OMG - it was a parking lot. We were seriously so close to our neighbors we could probably spit on their camper. Here is a list of pros and cons of this place and decide for yourself :
Pros : No mosquitoes
decent amount of activities for the kids to do

Cons: No FIRE RING (even though fires are permitted, nothing is noted on the website that they don't provide them. Complained and was told very condescendingly that this is the south and i was like I live in south georgia and they looked at me like i was stupid),
Close enough to my neighbors I felt i was in a sardine can
No breeze (due to being so packed but as park cleared out breeze picked up)
GOLF CARTS - my 3 yo was almost hit by a teeny bopper driving one
Price - $67.00 a night + an additional $3.00 per car per night is ridiculous
Amenity fee of $10.00 a night per site especially considering the price (they give you a rubber bracelet you have to sign for to use amenities and if you lose it is a $50.00 replacement fee)
Dog poop on the road and sidewalks leading into the bathouse
Some of the bath houses have nothing to put shower items on so it is take a beach chair or set it on the floor

Room Tip: The breezes on the block 1 ocean front sites are awesome but then you have to deal with the idiots c...
2 Thank RedneckPrincess2003
Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Do not stay here what ever you do. They advertise themselves as a Christian based resort, but they are really greed based. We stayed there from June 20 to June 30 2013. We made our reservations in December 2012 for block 2. If you are familiar with the campground this is the section away from ocean and with plenty of mature trees for shade. When we got to Lakewood on June 20 we were placed on site 1405. If you look on their map this is in block 1 just beside the pool, with no trees for shade, and the worst part was it was right beside the construction site for the new water slide.
I went straight back to the office to get moved to another site as soon as I saw where they placed us. I was told that nothing was available and that they were sorry that I was not happy with my site, but there was not another site I could move to unless I was willing to move three times during a 10 day stay. In hind site I should have done this, but I did not want to waste half a day of my vacation each time I had to move. I asked for a full refund so I could just turn around and drive the 350 miles back home, but was told by the reservations manager that they could not give me my money back so I decided to try to make the most of it and stay.
The 10 days I spent on that site is the worst vacation I have had in 12 years of camping. I was woke up by heavy equipment and back up beepers at 7 am. I could not sit under my awing for the noise and the dust coming from the construction site. Pallets of material were swung across my truck on an hourly basis as deliveries were being made. The final straw was that they would not let us into or out of our campsite when trucks were dropping of material because security said it was not safe to be there. If it is not safe WHY WERE WE PLACED THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I understand that Lakewood had to make a mess with the construction to build the new water slide, but why on earth did they not just close off the sites directly beside the construction. Like I said before, though Lakewood is based on greed, not taking care of there customers. Also, we were not the only campers who were placed in the wrong site by lake wood. There were two more campers on our row who had booked in Block 2 but were put in another section by Lakewood.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Andrew M
Annette S, Public Relations Manager at Lakewood Camping Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We are very sorry that you have such negative feelings about your recent family vacation at Lakewood. It is important that we point out some inconsistencies in your review. When you made your reservation in December 2012, you requested 1400 Block South and your friends requested the same area and to be side by side with you. This is the area in which you were placed – some of this area is in the shade, but that was not mentioned in the reservation. After the decision was made to build the water park this year, a team was assembled to telephone every person that had a reservation near the construction area and offer to move them to another location. Often messages were left and perhaps you did not receive the information.
We did offer to move you after your arrival, but it was important to you and your friends that you continue to camp side by side and the only two sites we had together were not in 1400 Block South. You made the decision not to move and management credited both you and your friends with TWO FREE NIGHTS. As to your comments about the construction area, we are very careful to adhere to and be compliant with all DHEC regulations making the area as safe as possible. This did necessitate some streets around the construction area being closed temporarily while equipment or supplies were being unloaded. At Lakewood Camping Resort, we strive to make each guest’s vacation a wonderful, fun-filled experience and we apologize that you were displeased with your stay. Should you decide to make a return visit to our resort, we trust that it will be all that you dreamed it to be.
Asheville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was the worst camping ever! The campsites are TOO close together - all 1100 of them!!! Looked like a parking lot for RVs. Forget about privacy! Their advertisements were very misleading-the lazy river and water slide park aren't open, yet it is being advertised as though they are. We did not realize this was a "Christian" campground until we arrived and saw the scripture all over the place - no mention of this during all of the commercials we listened to while waiting on hold to ask about availability. Also, 1100 + campsites means an overcrowded beach - we ended up driving to a less crowded beach. Myrtle Beach State Park is half the price and 100 times better!!!! Felt totally ripped off.

Room Tip: Ask for trees!
3 Thank CarverFamof6
Annette S, Public Relations Manager at Lakewood Camping Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for visiting our campground and we are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. We are a resort campground with lots of activities for families and children and at this time of year, the resort is completely full. It seems you would have been happier at a campground that was more nature oriented such as Myrtle Beach State Park, which you did find. There is another state park in the area, Huntington Beach State Park, with nature trails and more secluded beach very near Brookgreen Gardens. Should you return to our area, you might enjoy that campground. Yes, our park is owned and managed by Christian, but our park is for everyone. Again, thank you for visiting us.
Brunswick Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

This place advertises as a safe family orientated campground. While we were there, teenagers easily entered the facility without security stopping them (easily) and of course disrupted our trip. When i attempted to have the administrators at lest o something about what occurred, they said I was "crazy". Not surprisingly, they did eventually discover that I was correct about this situation, but of course, they never did even apologize for what happened. Stay away, not a safe nor classy environment. As a writer, I will be making an effort to educate the public on the inadequacies of the individuals that run this vacation spot.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank George S
Lakewood Camping Resort takes the safety of our guest very seriously with 24-hour security. We remember very clearly the incident you wrote about and we made every effort to clear the matter up. We carefully looked at all the facts and interviewed those involved. Appropriate steps were taken and we are sorry that you did not agree with the outcome.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,333 reviews
Myrtle Beach Resort
Myrtle Beach Resort
#64 of 207 in Myrtle Beach

Been to Lakewood Camping Resort? Share your experiences!