“Great location”

Ranked #114 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Chardon, Ohio
“Great location”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Fantastic location for the price. Definitely could use some updating, but it was clean and the view from 3rd floor balcony was great. Staff that we encountered was very friendly, the maid didn't even take the tip we left for her the first day. We stayed from 7/28/13 to 8/1/13 and the parking was fine. We probably left at least once a day and always found spot when we came back. I saw some bad reviews about the pool but it was wonderful when we were in it. I was concerned we would have issues with noise, but seemed like just a lot of families were there when we stayed, so there were no problems with that either. I would definitely recommend to anyone not looking for a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patty C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 29, 2013

i had never stayed at The Diplomat before and booked a last minute stay for this past weekend 7/26 to 7/28. Due to such high occupancy everywhere the only way i could stay was to use one room 1st night and move to a 2nd room the following night. This was more than fine as I just need a getaway. I drove from Tennessee friday night and arrived about 10pm. When i arrived the night staff Bob informed me that we had a problem, my room had been double booked somehow but for me not to worry they were finding me something. I immediately was worried as I had traveled by myself and based on how many calls it took me to find something on Wednesday I knew that very little was available. I am also in the vacation rental business as I work for a cabin rental company in Pigeon Forge, so i know mix ups can happen so i did my best to stay calm and wait. After over an hour he had still not been able to find anything. He called place after place with no luck. At one point he locked the office up and walked to 2 different hotels because they would not answer the phone. Still nothing. He finally found a place with a room but was over $100 more for the one night than what i was paying. He told me they felt so bad and wanted to make sure that i had a place to go so they gave me the difference in rates to go pay the other hotel for the night. I was so thankful and went to the next hotel knowing I at least had my room for Saturday there. Upon arrival at the hotel with the room, I checked in at the El Dorado. The check in office smelled horrible but they seemed busy so i thought it would be ok. I went to my room to see it 1st. When i opened the door i almost gagged it smelled so bad, Nasty, mildew, cigarette, urine smelling dump. I am not overly picky, old or not i can stay places if they are clean. Knowing i didn't have many choices i at least thought if the bed was clean i could force myself to stay. I pulled back the comforter and there were 3 separate urine stains on the sheets. I left the room and want back to the front desk. While this was happening Bob from The Diplomat called just to check on me. I explained how bad it was but the clerk was going to show me another room. He told me to keep in touch if nothing changed. The 2nd room i was shown was worse than the 1st! I called Bob back almost in tears asking him to please help me find something else. I got my money back from that dump el dorado and called Bob. He had finally found me one room at another place, slightly more but nice and clean. He had them hold it for me until i could get there. It was much better and i checked in for the night after 1am. So Bob did everything possible for me and went out of his way to help me from 10pm until after 1am in the morning! Upon arrival the next day The Diplomat for my true stay for Saturday night, I was greeted warmly, the 2 ladies at the desk were wonderful. They were apologetic and kind. That means a lot to someone traveling after such a bad night. I checked in and almost cried i was so happy with my room! It was perfect- exactly what i wanted when i think of a beach room. It was very clean, the tv was a flat screen, had a mini fridge, bed was comfortable, 3 pillows instead of only 2, smelled great, ocean front balcony- room 217. The descriptions say that all rooms are smoking rooms and i am a non-smoker. My room was so clean and smelled so good that I didn't even need the air freshner I brought just in case. I didn't want to leave, i was so comfortable there. It is an older motel but for what they offer and the price and the great staff, I will choose them again 1st for my next trip. Great location, ample parking, everything you need for a vacation. Thank you again to Bob and the other wonderful ladies! I will be in touch soon and you can plan on seeing me again at the Diplomat. Save my 217 for me :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Andrea H
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Room was clean and in a great location. It is a good room for a great price with an oceanfront view. Parking could be a challenge but we always found a spot. If you want perfection, stay elsewhere this is not for you. If you want a clean room for a great price within walking distance of the strip this is for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dawggonepanic
Williamson, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We just returned home from a week at the diplomat and I have to say, I really enjoyed my vacation. The motel is dated and needs upgrades, but the upgrades were pretty minor. There is an issue with parking, but there is a huge free parking lot provided by the motel across the street behind the pea palms motel. If you're not at the motel by five in the evening you will lose your spot and have to park across the street. We had no incidents with theft and management was super nice and very helpful to me. The maids were great! They need better phones in the room, but I used my cell the whole time anyway. The ocean front deluxe does provide a small fridge, the same as any other hotel and it does take a day to cool your beverages but I put milk in there and had problems with it spoiling, they also have a flat screen tv, microwave and coffee maker, but you better bring a hair dryer and a extension cord because outlets are very few. Of course there were some loud obnoxious guest staying there but you can't control the guest list in any motel/hotel, we just decided not to let it interfere with our vacation. The part that really impressed me was the view from the boardwalk. We had room 107 and absolutely loved it. Really good size balcony, and excellent view of pier 14 and the fireworks every Wednesday. Loved staying on the boardwalk despite the parking, walked it every night for great food, entertainment and ice cream at Iggy's. I would choose to stay in a hotel next time, we had one booked but, but had to change our plans, and by the time we booked something else this was the only one we could find available for under 700.00 for the week so for a motel on the boardwalk this place wasn't what the other reviews imply you will be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Room 107 close to beach access and away from noisy pool area
Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2013

For the price we paid for the room you would have thought that it would have been a little better, but it was clean and in a great location. Now for the bad...The fridge that is stated to be in the room is a very small one inside a TV/dresser combo and it took a full day to get a can drink cold. A big issue we had was with parking. There are not enough parking spots for rooms available and when we were told we could park in the beach access parking nothing was mentioned that only certain spots were for The Diplomat, we were told anywhere in beach access area. Needless to say when we woke up the next morning we had a parking ticket on the windshield. We were not very happy. The next night when we came in I wanted to be sure of the parking areas we could park in since the two small ones were already full and the office was closed with no one around (this was about 11pm) I had to walk around to the beach access parking and hold a spot when it came open so we could have somewhere to park to go to our room. Did not like that one bit. I have read the reviews about theft and didn't have anything stolen from inside the room but did have a good plush beach towel stolen off the balcony rail during the night (we were on the first floor). We will try to find a different motel next trip.

1 Thank mamabae
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We also were robbed. They don't tell you that they can enter your room by screw driver or credit card.. We got there after 4:00 pm no staff should have been the room so we felt we could leave our belongings in the room safely. WRONG!!!!!!!!!! went to beach just a few minutes and came back to no money or jewlery... Would not stay here if it was last motel in county or state. The owner was rude and said you sign a paper that she is not responsible.
But she didnt tell us that someone could open my room with a screwdriver or credit card. Also the pictures are decieving. The rooms are very out dated and the sliding doors on the back side are rigged. Looks like someone didnt know how to fix them properly. They also had survalance cameras on parking lot but because there was a wall in front of the room they say you cant see anyone going into the room but why cant you see anyone walking around the wall. Best advice dont stay if you wont your belonging stolen. I had my rings for 36 years and now there all gone. Also this trip was given to me by my work for employee of the year.

2 Thank jerri m

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Greers Ferry, Arkansas
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family just returned from their vacation and had a terrible experience from a short stay at this location. There room was robbed of all personal belongings such as money and jewerly. The experience was made worse by lack of cooperation of the manager and employees of this motel. The police stated that it was from inside peolpe at motel. The police had to be involved to get a refund because the feeling that it was not safe to stay at this motel. The manager made things worse by making statement that since jewerly was stolen that this would make a good christmas present.....

Room Tip: it is my opinion that this motel if a unsafe place for anyone to stay until they can make it safer f...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family