“$700/week oceanfront and boardwalk. No pampering needed”
Review of The Diplomat Motel

The Diplomat Motel
Ranked #127 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We just got back from the Diplomat and Myrtle Beach, SC June 22-28, 2013. The MOTEL was a motel. I refuse to pick apart every problem stated in previous posts. We were there for the beach. It is outdated but clean, no bugs or break ins! It is also $700 for a week with free wifi, flatscreen tv, a continental breakfast, sweet people that own it, and great help that cleaned our constant sand and shells we tracked in (and provided clean towels and room each day). Any other hotel on the ocean was $2000+ with no location! And parking is included.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. We were central to everything (restaurants, Family Kingdom, Iggy's ice cream, the Boardwalk, oh and let's not forget the ocean!).

We stayed in room 110 (first floor small balcony, oceanfront view). It was perfect for a small family. Beds were super comfy. The fridge worked as did the shower, toilet, and anything that mattered. It was perfect to rest our sun kissed heads after a day at the beach. By staying here, we had enough money to do all the other extravagant things such as helicopter rides, alligator adventures, dinners out, etc!

If you want pampered spas, lazy rivers, or anything fancy, you won't find it here. This is a MOTEL on the oceanfront. I would recommend it for anyone that needs a place to sleep, shower, and keep your things while you enjoy Myrtle Beach!

Room Tip: Be realistic about what $700/week on the ocean gets you. Don't complain about a great deal!
3  Thank lmphotos

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was a great little getaway motel. The room was clean, and had a great view of the ocean. We stayed June 21-23. The room was a little small for the price, as well as outdated, but it was quaint. I didn't expect Top of the Line, and we had a very nice time. Without a patio, the view from the window was great. The only eye-sore was the a/c unit had a lot of buildup on the outside of the room. We also had the room directly next to the Elevator, which was VERY loud. Every time it was ridden, it made loud noises throughout the whole room, and even woke us up at night. Other than that, I would recommend this motel if you are looking for cheap, clean, and right on the beach.

Room Tip: Don't get room 221.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I tried unsuccessfully from June 30 - July 2, 2013 securing rooms in MB. Either hotel(s) was sold out, or a 4 night minimum or overpriced! Finally when I called the Diplomat, I was able to secure reservations on rooms 344 and 350 @ a good price. I was expecting the worse, but when we checked in, we were pleasantly surprised. We got oceanfront (no balconies, single rooms, with an awesome view of the ocean. Our rooms were clean, staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay again, and definitely recommend this hotel. It didn't have a lot of amenities like some hotels, but you receive great value. Only complaint was maybe an upgrade on the ice machine and elevator!

Room Tip: Hotel is on the boardwalk and has easy access to the ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for 4 nights. Lets start with the good since that's a very short list:
Room was big
Convenient location on the boardwalk
Now for the bad. Let's begin with the fact that we walk in to the room and none of the lights will come on, we are literally sticking to the floor and there are gnats and fruit flies literally everywhere. We immediately go down to the office. A maid came up with a dirty mop to "clean" the floor and a maintenance person comes back up and plugs in the lights. Every light in the room was for whatever purpose unplugged and the cords to everything ran halfway across the room. Some lights could only be turned on and off by plugging and unplugging. I almost wish that we had just left the lights alone because now we can see the exact state of the room. Every surface of the room is filthy and disgusting, there are holes in the walls, the walls were yellowing from age or general uncleanliness, shotty wiring everywhere, and old mismatched furniture. Oh, and we were still sticking to the floor. In the kitchenette, the fridge barely cooled and the joke of a freezer was encased in dirty gray ice. We were provided one small pot and three lids to cook with. Not that we wanted to cook in that filth anyways. The bathroom floor which is supposed to be pink was stained with dirt. While I'm mentioning the bathroom I should also state that we never had any hot water the entire time we were there. We informed the office of this but we never saw anyone attempt to come fix it. Despite being advertised as a boulevard view room, we had no view whatsoever. Only some small windows in the bedroom with broken blinds that were so high you would have to stand on the bed to see out of and only looked out at the rest of the hotel anyways. If we wanted to see the boulevard we had to step outside of our room into the hallway and even that was blocked by a giant blue awning. Outside of the room was no better. The elevators were so scary that we dared not use them and at the landings of all of the stairs were piles of trash. The pool was disgusting and was green and covered in algae. It had so many safety hazards and code violations that we actually felt it necessary to call the county health department and report it. One of the most dangerous being that the gate did not self close or latch which meant any small child could wander in unsupervised and drown.

To sum it all up, this hotel is a disaster. While it was cheap for its location on the boardwalk, there are much nicer hotels not far away that offer cheaper prices than this one. Even my 8 year old realized and remarked on how dirty and disgusting everything in this hotel was.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We went from 6-14-13 to 6-17-13 and our room was not as promised. The room wasn't clean at all. The noise level was unbearable. The parking was super tight and if you didn't get in early enough you had to park a block away. They allow people to smoke in their elevator which is super tiny and disgusting. The elevator didn't even have it's certification paper in it like it was suppose to. Housekeeping wasn't friendly at all. I had to hunt them down just for towels. They allowed people to drink alcohol in the pools. On our first night there when we went down to the kiddie pool there was an empty vodka bottle laying next to the pool. We have 3 small children and we don't want them around this sort of thing. The housekeeping staff was in the pool with all of their kids in regular clothes and splashing my 6 month old in the face. They were eating food in the pool too. When I talked to the owner about my concerns she told me that there was nothing she could do and that drinking is legal. Yes I know drinking is legal but no other hotel that we have ever been to has let it be a problem like it was here. We had a drunk woman that kept swimming over to us wanting to hold my 6 month old. WE WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!

Room Tip: We stayed at crown reef a couple of years ago. It is away from the strip and a whole lot less noise...
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I booked my room via Internet. When we got to the room it smelled horrible . The kitchen was disgusting, refrigerator didn't work. They sent us to another room , which smelled better but refrigerator had mold around the seal of door. Mold under sink, the drip pans on stove burners were so disgusting that they lined them with aluminum foil. When I went to open freezer the door fell off in my hand. Went to front desk and told them they said oh we know about freezer door but it still works just set it back up there. We were suppose to stay there for a week needless to say we did not. I did lose my deposit but I would have rather of slept in my car. The pool was green. DO NOT STAY HERE. We were lucky to find another place which was much better and a $100.00 cheaper.

Room Tip: Atlantica Palmetto Shores 1702 Ocean Blvd. They were awesome and gave us a room for the week at las...
1  Thank BLS1962
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at the Diplomat last week and I absolutely loved it! I have stayed in resort hotels that were more expensive but would choose this motel over any of the others. The motel is family owned and they, as well as their staff, are very friendly and helpful, in helping your trip to be an enjoyable one. The rooms are exceptionally clean and updated. I stayed in room 114 and enjoyed walking right out to the balcony with a close up view of the ocean as well as the boardwalk. I hated to leave and my next visit to MB I will definitely be making my reservations with The Diplomat! I forgot to mention that the beds are sooooo comfortable!

Room Tip: Room 114....Perfect!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo