“Away from the crowds!”
Review of Serendipity Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Serendipity Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Myrtle Beach B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Away from the crowds!”
Reviewed August 1, 2006

The Serendipity Inn is a great place to get away from it all. It's very quiet and not in the middle of all the big hotels yet close enough to everything you need or want. You do feel like you're getting away from it all.

If you're looking for the 1800's old home converted to a B & B, then this is not the place for you. This is a 1960's or '70's small motel that has been re-decorated to look more like B & B rooms. I'm not a fussy guest so it was fine for me. Phil, the owner, does everything possible to make your stay comfortable.

A couple of areas that you should be aware of if you are a more discerning traveler. 1) There was a musty odor in the room. This was taken care of by a scented candle I purchased so problem solved. 2) The individual a/c unit in the window is very noisey so if you have trouble getting to sleep, this could be a problem. 3) The door to the bathroom was rotted at the bottom and splintered. Again, not a problem but not very attractive, either. 4) My second night there, the maid service consisted of throwing the bedspread over the pillows (not tucked in and the rest of the pillows were left off) and the towels changed out. The empty TP roll was not replaced, however, there was another under the sink, so, again, no problem but not what you would expect. **I wondered if this had something to do with not leaving a tip in the "Housekeeping Envelope" left on the dresser my first night there.** 5) The walls are paper thin.

None of the things mentioned above would prevent me from returning to The Serendipity. I only mentioned them so that those planning on staying there are aware of what it's really like. Afterall, that's why we come to this website...to find out the little things that aren't mentioned in the brochures.

• Liked — The privacy from the crowds
  • Disliked — The condition of the room
  • Tips/Secrets — Great place to get away from it all. Just don't expect 5star quality
6 Thank AH-64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
nc
Reviewed July 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Serendipity July 27-30. It was a delightful stay. It is a small place that feels very homey and safe. The owners are very nice and always available. It is very close to several restraurants and just a few blocks from the ocean. The building has a spanish flare to it. It is a little dated but very pleasing and comfortable to be around. The gardens, grounds, sitting areas are very comfortable and peaceful. The pool and hot tub are fenced in & secluded so you feel as though you have some privacy. There is security lighting all over the grounds. The pool area is delightful and most of the time you could have the pool to yourself. Oversized new, soft beach towels provided for the guests. A great place for you morning coffee, to read a book, or play with your young kids in the pool. We had the king room called Kabuki. The bed was wonderful. New matress with very fine bed sheets that slept well. The bedroom furniture was very up to date, clean, and like new conditions. The bathroom was a little small and dated but was clean. The towels were soft and clean, and replaced daily by housekeeping. The kitchen was a little dated as well but very clean and stocked. We did not cook but could have if wanted to. The living room couch was not very comfortable and could stand an upgrade as well as the carpet.
The room was spacious and had a comfortable feel with touches like books, pillows etc. Check out the web site- the room looked just like the pictures. Saw a few other rooms through the windows and they looked pleasing. The breakfast area was very pleasing and comfortable with fresh coffee cakes, muffins, fruit, bagels, etc. It was nice meeting other who were staying there and talking with the owner. We would say this was a great experience. We intend to stay here in the near future again. The location to the area is great. The inn itself is peaceful, safe, private and inviting. It is a good place for couples-young and older, girls weekends out, get away trips by yourself, trips with young child, or even business traveler. It is nice to avoid elevators, kids spitting off balconies, drunks, noise, etc. It is not 5 star but is quite a hidden secret of MB that was a very pleasant experience.

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank ladybenson
Cole, OK
Reviewed July 29, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at the inn July 18-20, 2006 and thought that it was a wonderful place. The Lotus Blossom room was perfect for two people with light baggage. It didn't have a bunch of useless amenities that we didn't need and the decorations were perfect.
The inn itself is pleasingly decorated with a good pool and a very friendly innkeeper. Breakfast was different the two mornings that we were there, but it continued to have the good old standbys like bagels and cereal. The coffee was perfect and the coffee cake was outstanding.
The walk to the beach isn't far, it takes about 8 minutes, and the inn had bicycles that they let us use to go for a nice ride. The inn is away from the oppressing rush that surrounds the big hotels and all of the resturants and attractions are still pretty close. The big advantage is that you don't have to fight traffic and waste your vacation time searching for parking near the hotel.
The only issue I had (and a very minor one at that) was the toilet lid and seat would not stay up on their own due to a newly installed counter on top of the toilet tank. Ladies, it's not a problem. Guys, you just have to use one hand to hold the seat up.
Everything was clean, pretty and comfortable. All for half the price of the big hotels. I would strongly recommend this to couples or a small family looking for a relaxing getaway.

• Liked — The Value, cleanliness and beauty.
  • Disliked — The trick toilet seat. Read my review.
  • Tips/Secrets — The Lotus Blossom room is perfect for two and don't miss breakfast, you'll regret it.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ihcnut77
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed July 26, 2006

We just returned from our 2nd visit to the Serendipity. Both visits were well above our expectations. It is hard to believe that there is a B&B in Myrtle Beach that is near all the restaurants, entertainment, shopping, yet it still provides a quiet escape. For my first visit last summer I went with my teenage daughter and her friend. We stayed in adjoining rooms which was perfect. Close by each other, but still private. This trip (this past week) my husband joined us and my daughter came with two friends. We rented the same adjoining rooms and everyone was comfortable. The beach is a doable 2-3 block walk. Even the teenagers did not complain! The breakfast is terrific with fresh baked items every morning. Always fresh and yummy in the comfortable dining area. As with B&B's we met terrific people which is what always makes these types of accomodations terrific. But the key to a successful B&B is the host. Phil treated us like family and he is around and always working to keep everything in tip-top shape. We never had a problem but it is clear to anyone who stays at the Serendipity that Phil takes pride in his Inn and would never hesitate to do something to make you more comfortable. We would recommend the Serendipity to anyone looking for a nice getaway.

• Liked — Quiet, clean, comfortable
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank GreensboroTraveler
North Carolina
Reviewed July 26, 2006

My mother and I stayed at Serendipity July 21-23. It was a very serene and peaceful place. The courtyard was beautiful and was secluded so that no one could see in.
I must take this time to say that they have the most comfortable beds that I have ever been in away from home. I have back problems and have a hard time sleeping on mattresses other than my own. I woke up every morning feeling great! FYI: Owner said all mattresses were brand new Sertas.
The inn was within "walking distance" to the beach but was about four blocks away.
I have read all the other reviews about this inn. I was very surprised to hear the negative comments. No, it is not the Hilton, but it is still very nice. Yes, the decorations inside the room are old and not the prettiest, but that's part of staying in a bed and breakfast. You expect things like that in a B&B because the actual establishments are older. The linens were clean, although the actual comforter needed bleaching. Trust me....name brand hotels never wash their comforters.
For the guest who said it was not in North Myrtle as advertised and was actually in Myrtle, I suggest you get a map. You must not be from this area. 71st Avenue is as North Myrtle as you can get. "Myrtle" is about 20 to 30 miles away.
I thought it was a wonderful place to stay. This is a great place to stay for a girl's weekend out.
Hats off.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Decorations
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sadler
Ohio
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My husband and I just returned from the Serendipity Inn. Phil the owner was extremely rude, and falsely accused me of throwing cigarette butts in the courtyard! He came to our door the last day we were there with a handful of cigarette butts, claiming that I was throwing them in the courtyard, and that he had picked them up already one time that morning. (first of all he had at least 30 cigarette butts in his hand, and we had been at the beach all day! Someone would have to be a major chain smoker to go through all of those in less then 2 hours of us being back) Not only was the pool area packed with people, but he was not quiet about his accusation! I was terribly embarrased, and hurt that he was treating me so terrible! When we checked out the next morning, he never so much as said two words to me. I handed him the key to our room, never heard a thank you from him or anything! We also did not appreciate him coming into our room everyday and rearranging things. We could understand opening the door and placing clean towels inside, but he threw stuff away that we were wanting to keep. Every other B & B we have stayed at has emptied the trash, placed clean towels in the room and left. We always stay at bed and breakfasts, but this was the worst experience we have ever had!!! We will not go back there, and we will not recommend it to our family or friends! I have honestly never been treated so terrible! I could have stayed at a Motel 6 that had more courteous people working there! I am sure that by now he is aware that I was not the one doing it since we checked out on Wednesday, but I am also sure I will not receive an appology from him either!

13 Thank jodell35
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My husband is now sold on Bed and Breakfasts. Our room was ideal and always spotless. The pool and hot tub were delightful. A quiet oasis in the middle of Myrtle Beach was a real treasure. Only two walkable blocks to the ocean and eateries and entertainment only a short distance. We especially enjoyed antiquing.

Phil is a master host and makes the Inn. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is par excellence. I especially liked plush towells.

We intend to continue coming back and would reccommend The Seredipity to anyone who wants to get away to relax and enjoy the ambiance.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member