“Big let down”

Driftwood at the Boardwalk
Ranked #161 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Upon arriving we were "greeted" by a not so friendly desk person, it was 2:55 check in states 3pm I asked about my room and was told it wouldn't be ready for awhile (6 yr old 4 hrs in the car was ready to unpack and enjoy her first vacation to the beach) I asked if she could at least tell me where my room would be, she said very rudely "I can't give that information" I said well my reservation states ocean front, she snickered and rolled her eyes at me..that did it, I asked about my deposit she said she would keep it if I cancelled, at this point I really didn't care I wanted to have a good time and wasn't going to let her ruin it..I walked to the next motel the Roxanne got an oceanfront suite for almost the same price I would have paid at driftwood for a smaller room., I am glad I did my family had the best vacation!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Meme425

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed last year and was very pleasantly surprised. So, when time to come back we didn't hesitate booking. We had the same room type "Jr. Suite", however I learned from last year to ask to be higher up in the floors not to have so much street noise. Even though these rooms are ocean view they had street noise. Anyway, the room was flip flopped which meant you walked in to the bedroom not liv. room and the sun shine in the room was awful. Then, the elevator was very scary, stopped 2 times a little before being to the floor so we opted for stairs. They were painting the exterior the whole week so we had tons of flaking paint being sprayed everywhere all day. Then, they decided to trim trees during the busiest pool time 11a so the pools were full of limbs, leaves, branches etc. Maint. had little regard to patrons! When I told the desk I understood doing maint. to a hotel but couldn't they find better times or off season, he just said "we gotta do it sometime". The BIGGEST issue which WE DID NOT have last year was BUGS!!!! I always check beds first when staying in hotel and no sign of bed bugs, however, I did see a "roach" in the stairwell. My husband said it wasn't a "cock roach" so to not worry likely a water bug but then my kids woke us up in the AM due to a HUGE roach that ran over ceiling behind the fridge! We were down to the night before we left so we said we would stay til the AM and then in the AM I seen another ROACH run across the ceiling in the bedroom!!! I WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN!!!! Bugs are NOT ok for me!!!! I am done, too bad too, location great, price reasonable, big rooms, but was overall dirtier this year and not pleasant!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank msditty
Reviewed April 17, 2013

First of all it was hard to get across the street to it, then we checked in and went to our room it was not the room i requested, i wanted a room with an ocean view and ts on balcony we got one on the side facing the street, microwave was old, worked but it was all rusted, coffee maker but they don't provide coffee for it so i had to find a store to get some. Refrig didn't work that well and the shower made an aweful noise when we used it and the one handle didnt work.. I wont be staying there next time they didn't tell the truth about their hotel yes everyone but the guy in office was nice and i think they only have 2 maids, which they take all day to do just one room, i now they were in the one by me at least for 6 hours and still didnt have the bed made when i walked by, i know it should only take about 30 minutes to 45 minutes to clean and remake the bed. the picture they show on the web is the back of their one building with the pool not the main one. Will check all my reviews next time i go back there before booking again.

Room Tip: always check your reviews before booking to make sure you are getting what you paid for
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Patricia W
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First let me just say that the cleaning staff are so awesome! But the rooms are not like they look in the pictures. First we were staying in the 3 bedroom so called Penthouse which is 3 rooms with adjoining doors to connect you to the rooms. The room that the boys were to stay in smelled so bad to pot that they couldn't stay in there the first night. Your feet stuck to the floors in some spots yuk! I told them not to lay anything on the floors & to were their slippers or shoes at all times. In the bathrooms we had hot for the one marked cold & cold for the one marked hot, toilets would not flush. So believe me I will never go back

Room Tip: Don't choose this place!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jojo G
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place is bare bones but right in the middle of everything! Do NOT plan to sleep on the "pull out" couch as it is about 50 yrs old and not usable! Lumpy sagging thin mattress type thing inside the pull out that was laughable! It is right on the beach and right near the boardwalk. We were there spring break and it was 2 a.m. every night before it was quiet enough to actually try to sleep. The kids cruising the main drag can be heard from your bed even though we were only one room back from oceanfront so I can't imagine what the boulevard rooms are like!! There were 5 of us in a 2 room suite and only 3 towels provided. We NEVER got anything more than those 3 towels from the maids we had to flag down every day! They never came to our room much less cleaned the room not even once even when we called the front desk on the 3rd day! We had to take out the trash ourselves everyday! There is a coffee maker in the room but the pot doesn't fit the maker so wouldn't work correctly! So either schlep to the front desk every morning for coffee or bring your own maker! The best thing about this place is the location and price!

Room Tip: Don't get a boulevard room you will never sleep!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank rebahgn
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My friend & I have stayed in Myrtle Beach before & did a lot of surfing before picking the Driftwood. It has 3 buildings & we were in the oldest one. The room was clean and a good size--had a small fridge, microwave & coffee maker ( without coffee or filters) and NO hair dryers. An iron & ironing board were available by calling housekeeping. Overall, it was good for the price. If you are going to stay there, ask to have a room in the newer buildings.

Room Tip: Ask for room in newer buildingd
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cloudy9717
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel has 3 separate buildings. We stayed in the oldest one. Rooms are not fancy, but very clean---included small fridge, microwave & regular coffee maker (with no coffee). Hair dryers are not included. Staff is very friendly--but not very many of them. If you book there, ask for a room in one of the newer buildings!

Room Tip: Ask for room in newer building
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Sandpebble Beach Club, a Festiva Destination
Sea Mystique, a Festiva Resort
Sea Mystique, a Festiva Resort
#5 of 9 in Garden City Beach

Been to Driftwood at the Boardwalk? Share your experiences!