“Absolutely Supurb, Anything Else Would Be Uncivilized!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Horizon at 77th

Horizon at 77th
Ranked #68 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
“Absolutely Supurb, Anything Else Would Be Uncivilized!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

The rooms were absolutely gorgeous! The kitchen ware was stainless steel and very updated! The customer service was wonderful and the view was emaculate. I washed my clothes there in the washer and dryer inside the room before returning home, so no dirty clothes going down the road and no waiting to use a facility washer and dryer. ( A major plus!) Everything and I do mean everything was just wonderful. I plan on taking another trip to the beach in September and I feel so confident in this hotel that I have most definitely decided to make this hotel my place of relaxation once again! Thank You to everyone at Horizon for making my stay a wonderful one!

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank Piggy26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
wellston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

Wonderful get away for our honeymoon. It was such a nice hotel, it was like having your own apartment on the beach. We will be back next summer and every summer to come. We have been telling everyone if they go to the beach to stay here! We only booked 3 nights because it was all my husband could get off from work, and we wanted to stay longer but the rates had went up a lot, but its understandable since it was peak of summer. Thank u so much horizen at the 77th staff and owner for such a wonderful stay!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband and I were vacationing with our 15 month old. We booked online, basing our decision to stay at Horizon on their website photos and so called amenities. When we arrived, they were not accomodating at all for an early check in. No one seemed to care or offer any consolation. Upon finally checking in, we were unable to unlock our door, and had to wait in line with all of the other people who had waited all day to check in. I had to go back to the 'lobby' with my son to get 2 new keys reprogramed. When we finally got into the room, we were happy with the cleanliness and layout. The veiw was nice, but the hotel itself is a far walk to the beach for a family with a toddler. If this hotel was directly on the ocean, I would come back, but instead, the sister property, The Grande Shores, sits in front. The pool for the Grand Shores is dirty, and crowded, with loud music. It was a party atmosphere and not a place for young children. As far as baby pools, The Grande Shores has one, in the indoor pool area. There are not any outdoor baby pools (1 if you count the one connected to the Grande Shores dirty party pool). I would not stay at this hotel again, due to accessibility and lack of family friendly amenities. The online pictures are not what they seem.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Cincinnati
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

I would not recommend this resort to anyone. They do not look like they have been just remodeled in 2008. We stayed in a 2 bedrooms. Both indoor & outdoor pools not very clean. The hot tubs were disgusting. They had scrum around the edges, that left marks on my grandson's shirt. We told them about it & they did nothing. On the sofa we had to flip the cushions over because it looked disgusting & was afraid to sit on the sofa. We were told it was oceanfron it is not. It is about a block & half to walk to the beach. There sister resort is in front which also looks dirty & that is the one that is oceanfront. I have gone to Myrtle Beach for years I would recommend never to stay here. I have stayed in many condo's there & they were oceanfront & awesome for alot less money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Bchoneys
gmgrandeshores, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, July 23, 2009
The comment that The Horizon does not look like it was remodeled last year has me confused. The Horizon is only one year old. We openned this condo resort one year ago in July. We also have a genleman hired to just clean our pools and decks daily, so I am confused about this guests comments. One of the things I do each morning is walk our decks and inspect our pools. I am sorry this guest was not happy but I feel our photos on the website do not do the building justice. The units are new and very lovely.
Matthews, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

Ok, I used the comments from this site to help assist on whether or not to use this hotel for our 8 day spring break trip. I booked this sight unseen and made lots of calls. If you go to their website and go to the "send a postcard: you can see a very good picture of how the hotel is situated! The Sister hotel in front (Grand Shores) and to the side is much older and looks run down, but you do get to use their pool right there at the beach too. We used that pool 90% of the time. I'd never attempt to stay at the Grand Shores (sister hotel), but would stay at this one again.

The layout here at Horizon was well designed inside the units. The linens were clean, the pillows were not so great VERY LUMPY chunks of foam (suggest you bring your own if you are picky).

We had my 5 year old and 2 teens in the back room (with bathroom attached) and we were in the room with balcony. The View was lovely... GREAT to sit on the balcony at night. You can't hear the water, but you can sure see it. You don't have ANY high rises to block your view.

One drawback was the fact that the pool gets shaded by noon. The walk is not more than a football field, and it's worth it, (my guess) rather than staying at the sister hotel (which seems MUCH older, run down with smaller rooms).

We are usually quite spoiled when we stay at resorts, but here in Myrtle, we try to save a little and stay someplace clean and nice on the water with a nice balcony view without spending a bunch... we live close enough to come often. So, yes, I would recommend...

By the way... The City Bar (Walking distance) was also a great place for a nice dinner for two! There are just a few walkable placed to eat and drink. The Starbucks was about 3-4 blocks and River City Cafe was right there too!

There is a tradeoff with the hotel... walking 2-3 min to the beach VS cleanliness of MB properties... so I'd take this one over MANY other places we've stayed!

We had issues with the Internet access... maybe just us (?)

It was clean, no bugs, quiet and everything was is GREAT working condition. The staff on the phone were VERY helpful prior to our stay... and believe me, I asked a million questions! Just be prepared to wait at check in and check out... and grab a luggage cart when you find one! (good luck).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FlanFam
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed a few days for our honeymoon and it was amazing! The room was like a mini condo. Washer/dryer, dishwasher, stove/oven, microwave, stainless steel sink, marble countertops, full-size refrigerator/freezer, full shower/bath with jets, kingsize bed, 2 wall/mounted flat-screen tvs, etc. The balcony and every window had an ocean view which was great because I had never seen an ocean! They have many pool options-indoor and out-even a hot tub. The only problem was that all the pools were 3ft deep or less! We could see other hotel pools from our balcony and they were just as shallow, though. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff was polite and helpful as were everyone we met. The front desk was always occupied. The attendants gave us maps and directions and were more helpful than I expected. When we got there the room wasn't ready, and my phone wasn't working, so the guy at the desk sent a text to my family on his personal phone to let them know we had arrived safely! We went for lunch and came back and the room was ready. The hotel is about 1 block (sidewalk-no cars) from the beach and a few minutes from downtown and Broadway at the Beach (also very cool-like and outdoor mall). Another amazing feature is the 4 level parking garage that begins at street level. The hotel is on top of this, so the first floor is actually the fifth floor! I could tell that the majority of the rooms were oceanviews. I loved the city and people. It is a tourist area so I guess people are afraid to break the law due to seriouis consequences, which is great for tourists! Everyone was polite and friendly and helpful. We are planning to take our children in the near future for a family vacation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Nice, new, modern hotel with short walk to the beach. Quieter location in north area of Myrtle Beach near residental neighborhood. Close to good shopping and restaurants. Would definitely return. Only complaint is that the bedroom needs more lighting.