“Don't Say Here Pictures are What the Rooms Look Like”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Horizon at 77th

Horizon at 77th
Ranked #66 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Cincinnati
“Don't Say Here Pictures are What the Rooms Look Like”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

I would not recommend this resort to anyone. They do not look like they have been just remodeled in 2008. We stayed in a 2 bedrooms. Both indoor & outdoor pools not very clean. The hot tubs were disgusting. They had scrum around the edges, that left marks on my grandson's shirt. We told them about it & they did nothing. On the sofa we had to flip the cushions over because it looked disgusting & was afraid to sit on the sofa. We were told it was oceanfron it is not. It is about a block & half to walk to the beach. There sister resort is in front which also looks dirty & that is the one that is oceanfront. I have gone to Myrtle Beach for years I would recommend never to stay here. I have stayed in many condo's there & they were oceanfront & awesome for alot less money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Bchoneys
gmgrandeshores, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, July 23, 2009
The comment that The Horizon does not look like it was remodeled last year has me confused. The Horizon is only one year old. We openned this condo resort one year ago in July. We also have a genleman hired to just clean our pools and decks daily, so I am confused about this guests comments. One of the things I do each morning is walk our decks and inspect our pools. I am sorry this guest was not happy but I feel our photos on the website do not do the building justice. The units are new and very lovely.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Matthews, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

Ok, I used the comments from this site to help assist on whether or not to use this hotel for our 8 day spring break trip. I booked this sight unseen and made lots of calls. If you go to their website and go to the "send a postcard: you can see a very good picture of how the hotel is situated! The Sister hotel in front (Grand Shores) and to the side is much older and looks run down, but you do get to use their pool right there at the beach too. We used that pool 90% of the time. I'd never attempt to stay at the Grand Shores (sister hotel), but would stay at this one again.

The layout here at Horizon was well designed inside the units. The linens were clean, the pillows were not so great VERY LUMPY chunks of foam (suggest you bring your own if you are picky).

We had my 5 year old and 2 teens in the back room (with bathroom attached) and we were in the room with balcony. The View was lovely... GREAT to sit on the balcony at night. You can't hear the water, but you can sure see it. You don't have ANY high rises to block your view.

One drawback was the fact that the pool gets shaded by noon. The walk is not more than a football field, and it's worth it, (my guess) rather than staying at the sister hotel (which seems MUCH older, run down with smaller rooms).

We are usually quite spoiled when we stay at resorts, but here in Myrtle, we try to save a little and stay someplace clean and nice on the water with a nice balcony view without spending a bunch... we live close enough to come often. So, yes, I would recommend...

By the way... The City Bar (Walking distance) was also a great place for a nice dinner for two! There are just a few walkable placed to eat and drink. The Starbucks was about 3-4 blocks and River City Cafe was right there too!

There is a tradeoff with the hotel... walking 2-3 min to the beach VS cleanliness of MB properties... so I'd take this one over MANY other places we've stayed!

We had issues with the Internet access... maybe just us (?)

It was clean, no bugs, quiet and everything was is GREAT working condition. The staff on the phone were VERY helpful prior to our stay... and believe me, I asked a million questions! Just be prepared to wait at check in and check out... and grab a luggage cart when you find one! (good luck).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FlanFam
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed a few days for our honeymoon and it was amazing! The room was like a mini condo. Washer/dryer, dishwasher, stove/oven, microwave, stainless steel sink, marble countertops, full-size refrigerator/freezer, full shower/bath with jets, kingsize bed, 2 wall/mounted flat-screen tvs, etc. The balcony and every window had an ocean view which was great because I had never seen an ocean! They have many pool options-indoor and out-even a hot tub. The only problem was that all the pools were 3ft deep or less! We could see other hotel pools from our balcony and they were just as shallow, though. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff was polite and helpful as were everyone we met. The front desk was always occupied. The attendants gave us maps and directions and were more helpful than I expected. When we got there the room wasn't ready, and my phone wasn't working, so the guy at the desk sent a text to my family on his personal phone to let them know we had arrived safely! We went for lunch and came back and the room was ready. The hotel is about 1 block (sidewalk-no cars) from the beach and a few minutes from downtown and Broadway at the Beach (also very cool-like and outdoor mall). Another amazing feature is the 4 level parking garage that begins at street level. The hotel is on top of this, so the first floor is actually the fifth floor! I could tell that the majority of the rooms were oceanviews. I loved the city and people. It is a tourist area so I guess people are afraid to break the law due to seriouis consequences, which is great for tourists! Everyone was polite and friendly and helpful. We are planning to take our children in the near future for a family vacation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Nice, new, modern hotel with short walk to the beach. Quieter location in north area of Myrtle Beach near residental neighborhood. Close to good shopping and restaurants. Would definitely return. Only complaint is that the bedroom needs more lighting.

Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

My husband, two sons and I was looking so forward to our stay. When drove over seven hours and arrived around 2:45pm on Sunday, July 5, 2009. We were early, so I completed the registration and was told the room would be available at normal check-in time, which was 4:00. We returned about 4:30, room still not ready. While waiting, other people would walk up, stated they called and wanted to see a room, etc (which was available), there were walk-ins, seeking a room and they were available, but our room which was booked and paid for in advance was not ready. I asked for management, they stated she was in another location and we would just have to wait, they would work on our room. Needless to say, it was another 30 minutes before our room was ready, and after expressing my concern/disappointment, I asked that they call the manager back and she states she will give us breakfast, wow what a gesture, I don't know what to say.
We were exhausted and went to the room,
I must say for the price we paid, the size was exceptional and overall it was OK. the pillows I believe were from many, many years ago, they were terrible, so bring your own.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank DimplesGeirgia
gmgrandeshores, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
I am very sorry this guest was not checked into their unit as quickly as they would want and need. I would like to mention that when standing at the front desk and observing others checking in, please understand that at any given moment we may have 10 one bedroom condos ready to be occupied. If the guest checking in has reserved a 3 bedroom condo all the one bedroom units that are clean do not help us get our guest checked in earlier. Just wanted to explain how hotel check in work so this guest and others can understand the process.
MARYLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

Staff was nice, but nothing to rave about. We rented a 3 Bdrm Suite, and the 3 Rms within the suite had there own personal FULL baths & balcony entrances. The views were breathtaking and serene. Great location...close to beach, grocery store, shops, restaurants...and STARBUCKS!!! The indoor/outdoor pools were kid friendly (only went to 4 feet). The lazy river pool could become a little crowded at times & was rather small compared to others I saw in hotels down the street. If I had to mention a negative, it would be that they needed more luggage carts.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

I stayed with my family last year. It was nice. Clean rooms and pretty good service. The pool was just okay but one good thing was that it was a new hotel so there weren't many people and we had the pool all to ourselves.We were even allowed to go to there sister hotel's (the Grande Shores; located directly in front of the horizon) pool if we wanted a more kid friendly pool. The only thing i didn't like was that the view of the ocean was from the side. We've stayed at the Monterey Bay Hotel for five years prior to visiting the Horizon. We were used to oceanfront views. We stayed on the sixth floor and could hardly see the ocean. I guess if we were higher up we would have had a better view. Overall it was a nice hotel and we're going back in August

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family