“Has gone downhill since last visit”
Review of Horizon at 77th

Horizon at 77th
Ranked #53 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Chose to stay here again because our last visit was very nice. Unfortunately that was not the case this time. We arrived and were given a room on the second floor even though the room was booked months in advance and a high floor was requested, but that wasn't a big deal until we went in the room. Upon entering the floor felt sticky, like it was cleaned with dirty water. We then went into the living room to find everything had smear marks all over it and the TV had dirty finger prints on it, not just marks but looked like a kid grabbed it with sticky food on their fingers. The last straw was the bedroom. I always pull off blankets and sheets to check for bedbugs. Didn't find bugs, but found hairs all over the sheets and under the pillows. Gross! They didn't change the sheets!
So we went down and I requested another room and was given another room promptly. I can say the girl at the desk seemed truly sorry and offered right away for me to check out a different room. I pulled down the sheets and saw no hairs and the room seemed cleaner, but later when we were going to bed my boyfriend picked up the pillow and there were 3 dark hairs under the pillow there too! Upon closer inspection there were a few more hairs in this bed as well. It was so late we checked the extra bedroom and found no hairs so we slept in there. I did call down the next morning and requested the sheets changed and they were and there were no hairs, but after finding 2 beds with hair, it makes me wonder if they change the sheets after every guest. Also the carpets are gross and worn. It was stained in a few places and you could see where it was separated from the wall and around the baseboards like they ripped it up or something. Not at all what I remembered from my last visit.
Other than this I found the hotel average. They don't have food onsite or an atm. You have to go to the sister property in front of the building if you want food. I will say that the kitchen is nice, so if you want to bring food or shop you can make your own meals and that will solve the problem of no restaurant onsite. They really just need to get the cleaning under control and if they did some updates the place could be nice again. So disappointing...Next time we visit Myrtle beach we will be trying somewhere else.

Room Tip: You do not want a room on the first floor unless you want people outside your room and noise as the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Crystal L
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

It was certainly an embarrassment seeing this comment. Housekeeping certainly was a disappointment based on your review. Since you have stayed with us in the past, you must know this is not our standard and I am embarassed this happen to you. When an issue is discovered, we certainly want to move that guest and take every corrective action possible. Thank you for your comments. Housekeeping will certainly see this comment and use it to see this does not happen again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We have stayed there before and were happy with the hotel so we decided to come back. Got to the hotel at noon, but they let we check in with no problem. It really helped because my parents who are in 90 need a room to lay down after the trip. We had a 2 bedrooms, ocean view. The room is big, clean with full kitchen. We couldn't ask for more. Thank you so much. My parents love the hotel so much, so we plan to come back next month. Since you stayed in Horizon 77, you don't want to stay any where else.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tofu2008
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

I am so happy to hear the Horizon was a hit for your family vacation, and especially happy to know your parents enjoyed themselves. I means so much knowing we make a difference and helped contribute to great memories. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for the great comment.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The place was perfect for our honeymoon and got a good deal booked through hotel site would definitely go back had a ocean view room could ssee the ocean clearly the staff treated me good the room was ready when we got there would definitely go again

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank TERESA G
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Wow, you just made my day with such a great review. We love hearing we contributed to a great honeymoon! We appreicate you choosing The Horizon for such an important occasion. We hope you will return to celebrate you anniversaries year after year. Thank you for the great review and the opportunity of serving you.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is very clean and the staff is very friendly! We have stayed there before and last year we decided to stay at another hotel, well we came back to the horizon this year because we have found them to be the best. It has a lot of things to do and is very close to the beach, When we had to call the front desk for anything they were right there with what we needed. The housekeeping staff did a great job for us as we needed things to be done while we were out, due to my nephews health issues he can not be in the room when it needs to be cleaned. They were happy to work with us. when we needed extra towels and pans they were right there to give them to us, not like another hotel when we asked for a pan we never even got it. when we needed housekeeping the other hotel never came. This hotel is fantastic and i would recommend it to anyone i know!! I am a very happy customer and will always go back there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank staci g
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Staci, it made my day to read your comments. It really means a lot to have a guest return and have such a positive experience at The Horizon. I will make sure our housekeeping staff reads this great comment. It will make them happy to see their service made a difference. Thank you for being a repeat guest at Horizon and thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

At check in I was wondering if this was a place we wanted to stay. Once we got to the 1 bedroom condo we were more than satisfied. Clean spacious nicely equiped rooms. The bedroom was very comfortable. Kitchen had a stove, microwave, dishwasher and a full size refrigerator with an ice maker that worked. The hotel is not water front but is water views with a very nice angled water view from the living room. On check in all amenities such as toilet tissue, hand soap, shampoo, coffee, dish soap were in the room. The next day beds were made and condo cleaned but amenities were not refreshed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WEL29229
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

I was very pleased to see you enjoyed Horizon and found the condo to be clean. Having a clean vacation spot is very important we know. It means a lot ot know our guests vacations went well and hopefully you left eager to return. Thank you for your review and your business.

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 19-22 Sept 2010 and this place was a hit, so much so that we thought a second visit would be a repeat. I thought we had found a hidden gem in Horizon 77 in 2010; however, 2013 proved to be quite different a experience. Check in employee was less than professional, the room had issues that were never addressed after I called and spoke to Jennifer to complain. Kitchen cabinets broken off the hinges, bathroom had a unpleasant odor, and no toilet paper holder in the bathroom; yeah we had to just roll it with our hands! And to top it off the room wreaked of a mildew smell. It was neat, but smelly. We had to go to WalMart and purchase a candle, but didn't help much. I will not return to this resort upon my next visit to myrtle beach. I do find that parking is ample, and the resort is pretty quiet, but this is off season.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Val M

I am so sorry to read your review and see there were issues in your condo. We do miss items and certainly do not want our guests to be effected badly by our errors. Please accept our apology for that and know we will address these concerns to our engineering department. We never want to have our guests leave not wanting to return. Thank you for your review and constructive comments.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My friends and I spent a girl's weekend at Horizon at 77th in one of their ocean view 2 bdrm condos. The condo was clean except the carpet was stained in several places and so was the chair in the living room. The condo was very spacious and the beds were surpisingly comfortable. Location was excellent right on the beach and near shopping and eating. The staff was helpful and friendly. The parking is onsite and while it is a tight fit for larger vehicles was very plentiful. Overall i enjoyed my stay and would come back. The one con was there was family reunion on site so the noise level on the balconies got a little loud late at night. Not necessarily the hotel's fault but it did impact our stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jessica H

Thank you for choosing Horizon for your ladies weekend. I am happy to see you enjoyed your time away. That special kind of time is very important, we know, and it makes all the difference to us knowing you enjoyed your time with us. We do hope you will return soon and again, thank you for your review and kind words. I will make sure your comment on the carpeting is relayed to housekeeping. Sorry for those issues.