“Overall happy”

Ranked #68 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Overall happy”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My friends and I spent a girl's weekend at Horizon at 77th in one of their ocean view 2 bdrm condos. The condo was clean except the carpet was stained in several places and so was the chair in the living room. The condo was very spacious and the beds were surpisingly comfortable. Location was excellent right on the beach and near shopping and eating. The staff was helpful and friendly. The parking is onsite and while it is a tight fit for larger vehicles was very plentiful. Overall i enjoyed my stay and would come back. The one con was there was family reunion on site so the noise level on the balconies got a little loud late at night. Not necessarily the hotel's fault but it did impact our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jessica H
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for choosing Horizon for your ladies weekend. I am happy to see you enjoyed your time away. That special kind of time is very important, we know, and it makes all the difference to us knowing you enjoyed your time with us. We do hope you will return soon and again, thank you for your review and kind words. I will make sure your comment on the carpeting is relayed to housekeeping. Sorry for those issues.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Virginia
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at Horizon in a 1BR/1BA condo. The condo was clean. The couch was very uncomfortable. It should be replaced. The cushions were flat, felt like you were sitting on a hard board. The only mirror in the unit was in the bathroom. Makes it hard for getting ready while someone else is showering.

There are two sets of elevators, one for east units and one for west units. Luggage carts are only located at the west elevator, if you are staying in the east units you must drag a cart all the way to the other end of building.

When we checked in a gentleman gave us a "welcome" package. (It turns out it was a pre-timeshare package.) Never had this happen before. It had brochures about the area. Next morning received a call on my cellphone from someone saying they could send us to Captain George's seafood buffet or Rioz. Was I married, etc. Placed me on hold after I told her I was single, she came back and said she didn't have any offers for me. I asked was this a timeshare offer and she finally admitted it was. I don't think you should call people on vacation about timeshare. Who wants to be bothered with that. When the gentleman in the lobby gave us the packet, he should ask these questions then and set up the timeshare meeting.

Morning of departure found a roach (?) on bathroom floor. Glad we were leaving.

We stayed here because it's a good location. Beach is not as crowded as most parts. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I was very sorry to see your experience with us was not up to standards. Horizon is not a time share building but tours are offered to those who want to accept that offer. I am sorry their phone call disrupted your vacation time but please know our guests are not obligated to take any type tour. I will definitely pass along your concerns. I do hope you will choose to allow us the privilege of serving you again in the future. Thank you for taking the time to view Horizon.
Saint Louis
Reviewed September 8, 2013

When I saw the pics of this hotel/resort, I was a little leary, But..when we got there, it was a little different. It's clean and right near the beach...just a small sidewalk between you and the beautiful ocean. My husband and I went for our 7th anniversary trip. The staff was very accommodating. We had a 1 bdrm condo which was clean; however, the couch did have a few stains on it and several light bulbs were out when we got the room after check in. They did tend to the lightbulbs quickly. (I just sprayed the couch with my disinfectant). We had to go back several times to re-program our room keys. The pools were quite tiny and the lazy river...THAT WAS A JOKE...but for kids, it's probably fine. I did like the fully furnished kitchen and the private balcony. CONS: The housekeepers need to learn how to make tight beds. I have been in lesser hotels where the bed was made much better, also, the TV did not have all the channels listed on their program guide. The washer/dryer in the unit was also a nice touch. Plenty of garage parking. If ever returning to Myrtle Beach...probably would stay again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for OCEANFRONT if you want a good ocean view/beach view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Happy Anniversary. We are pleased to see you spent your special time at Horizon. I do appreicate your comments on the condo. I will pass your concerns along to housekeeping as well. We are beginning this week what we call our general cleaning and all areas of the condos will have extra special attention paid to it and that would include our couches. I am pleased to see you would return to the Horizon on your next trip to Myrtle Beach. That means a lot of us!
Stokesdale, North Carolina
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here in June 2013. We loved it! We had the 2 bedroom/2 bath condo. The view of the ocean was prefect from the balcony. The staff was super friendly and always ready to help in anyway that they could. The room was very comfortable and clean. The only thing that I didn't like about the resort was the outdoor pool was small and smelled very heavy of chemical. But other then that we would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. Our staff will be especially pleased to see you appreicated their service. It means a lot to them knowing they made a difference to a guest. Safe traveling until you return. We look forward to serving you and your family the next time you are in our city.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for a weekend in July 2013 and had a good stay. 1BA/1BR condo was clean and updated. Washer and Dryer in unit. Ample parking. Friendly Staff. Only complaint was stains on common area hallway carpet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
It's always a pleasure reading a comment from a satisfied guest. Thank you for choosing Horizon. I will also take a close look at the carpeting in our public areas based on your comment. Thank you for the constructive observations. Have a great fall and thank you again for staying with us at the Horizon.
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family and I stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath here for 4 days and 3 nights. The room amenities were nice. The pools were great. The kitchen and bathrooms were pretty clean except for the floors. The grout between the tiles to be exact...they were FILTHY, and absolutely disgusting. I spread towels out on the bathroom floors so my bare feet would not have to touch them. The floors had been mopped, but the grout looked like it had not been cleaned in years, and it was so gross we kept socks on the entire time in the room. We had to flip the cushions on the couch due to stains, and there were faint stains on the other side as well. I just laid towels on the couch before sitting down. This did not make for a relaxing stay for me. I had the heebie-jeebies the whole time. I will be staying elsewhere our next trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim P
Your comment was a difficult one to read. I am so sorry you found issues like this in your condo. This is not our standard and please know based on your comment we will take a close look at this condo. Please know these issues are not found in the majority of our condos. As you can see from other past guests, we have many happy return guests. We do have several sister hotels in the area and would be pleased to find a right fit for you. We would appreicate being able to serve you again in the future and hope you will allow us that priviliege. Thank you for your comment.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Vacationers beware, Our room was infested with mold around all the A/C vents and in the ceiling/wall borders. The staff was not very accomodating and had little interest in the health hazard. The room we were moved to smelled like garbage the next am. The 3rd room we were moved to (because the second was just a bridge room) had dirty splatters on kitchen ceiling, & the closet door was broken. Also, I was at the front desk when the staff was calling the police to report "another" stolen item as there had been multiple that week per her convo with them in front of me.

Room Tip: Dont go here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mfsv01
I do see from your photo our housekeeping staff missed this area prior to releasing the condo for your reservation. Please know we do take guest issues very seriously and in this case happily moved you to a different condo. On any day we have over 60 housekeeping staff in our two resorts that sit side by side and we are more than happy to address any concern a guest might have without any hesitation. I am personally sorry we disappointed you.