“Run from this resort hotel”
Review of Horizon at 77th

Horizon at 77th
Ranked #59 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Run from this resort hotel”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

1.)I booked my reservation and asked for an upgraded room at time of reservation and was given a room on the 2nd floor when i arrived, and when I asked to be moved to a higher floor, and i was made to feel like i was a bother for asking for a higher floor room when i was told loudly at the front desk that I should have asked for a higher floor room instead of an upgraded room and that there is no such thing as an upgraded room-
2.)I was told that all potential guest are informed that a higher floor room isn't guaranteed so this hotel had higher floor rooms at the time that i arrived,they just didn't want to accommodate me especially when the manager then proceeded to ask me if i were going or staying and then tells me that if i decide not to stay, she would be keeping my deposit of 149.00 dollars!!!
3.) One morning i returned to this hotel at about 4am and was stopped at the parking deck entrance and told, that there are NO MORE PARKING SPACES and i would need to find some other means to park my vehicle!!!!
4.) The housekeeping staff doesn't know the English language as I clearly had the DO NOT DISTURB SIGN hanging on my door and the cleaning lady opens the door yelling housekeeping while i am stark naked in the shower!!!!!
5.)At all times at night and early morning, I could hear people having sex from my bedroom vent!!!!
6.) There was no one to help me with my trailer which had to be parked in back of the hotel even though i was promised that there would be someone coming around the corner to assist me with getting the trailer in and out and there would be security watching the trailers-
7.) My SUV, Trailer were in 2 separate locations from each other so this creates a potential security breach as security wasn't always able to be in all places all the time, an expensive customized motorcycle was stolen from the hotel 2 doors down because of the split parking layout and the lack of adequate security coverage-
I saved up my money for almost a year to take this vacation and this is how I was treated-

I HATE HATE HATE THIS RESORT HOTEL-
Even a Courtyard Marriott I stayed in 3 years ago provided 5 star customer service in comparison to this place-

Room Tip: The best advice I could any potential guest is.............DON'T STAY HERE! YOU'VE BEEN WAR...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Noniya B
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Noniya, it is obvious you came during the Memorial Bike Festival. Just as a note to future guests, requests for floors are taken by our reservationists as a request and unfortunately we are unable to guarantee these requests for all guests. I am sorry this was the case for your visit. When bringing bikes, trailers and an SUV to the resort it is impossible to park in one place. We do the very best we can to park all the vehicles that come along with this festival but since everyone brings a bike, trailer and car it is very difficult to guarantee there will be room for everything. Other than this huge event, The Horizon never runs out of parking. We are very fortunate in this regard. Thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at this property when it was new and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it seems the place is slowly going downhill. My last two stays have both been poor experiences. I stayed here last 5/16 - 5/20 and was quite disappointed in my stay. The carpet in the condo was dirty and worn, the lines are of the poorest quality and very dingy and the towels aren't even fit to wash a car with. I had a horrible problem getting my room serviced. The first day I had to call for service and the room was cleaned after 4pm. The second day the room wasn't serviced at all--I called to get towels that day and after waiting 45 minutes still no towels!! I called yet again and spoke with a manager and finally received towels. Well on the final day of my stay my room was FINALLY serviced by housekeeping and by service I mean the bed was made, towels replenished and trash emptied. There was no vacuuming--sand in the carpet from the beach, we were out of Kleenex, dish detergent and kitchen towels but these were not replenished. I will not stay here again....found a better place a little further down the road. This place needs to do some updating to the rooms, linens, towels and housekeeping staff. You can't beat the price though, but sometimes you get what you pay for!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
I was really disappointed to see your last stay with us was not up to standards. I have passed your comment on to our housekeeping director and upper management. We value our guests and always want to improve our resort through all the comments we receive from them. Also, please know we have excellent managers that stand ready to respond to any guest issue duirng their stay so we can take corrective action immeidately so the stay can be the best possible.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Thank you for your comment.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We booked this trip somewhat last minute via a deal found on Travelzoo. The price was right ($100 including tax/fees in mid May) and the reviews seemed okay so we went for it.

The condo was pretty big and was reasonably well appointed. 1 flatscreen tv in each bedroom and 1 in living room. I thought the condo was actually nicer than the online pictures made them look. Some other reviewers complained about the towels and linens, they were not exactly opulent but they weren't bad. Definitely serviceable. The kitchen is decent but the pots/pans are minimal. I had plans to cook dinner a few nights, but abandoned them after 1 attempt. Its fine for breakfast/lunch/snacks though. The in room washer/dryer was wonderful to have and was a nice surprise.

The condo was advertised as oceanfront, its not. Oceanview would be accurate though. The property isn't exactly on the ocean, there is another hotel behind the Horizon that is actually on the ocean. Getting to the ocean is about a 2 minute walk, but its not entirely obvious how to get there. The location is pretty good, its in a quieter section of Myrtle Beach but is pretty close to everything. There is a Dunkin Donuts, Food Lion, and some other shopping at the end of the street within walking distance.

The pool and lazy river were nice, albeit small and without any shade. There were no towels provided (we brought beach towels, no big deal). They are heated and were very pleasant even when the outside temp was "only" in the 70's. The indoor pool was closed when we were there, you were able to use the neighboring hotel's indoor pool though. It created a bit of a hassle getting to the outdoor pool since you normally cut through the indoor pool but that shouldn't be an issue normally. Our room was on the first floor and was like right on the pool which was initially a bit concerning for noise issues, but was actually fine.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Housekeeping lacked a bit to be desired, we were gone every morning until about 1pm, the room was never cleaned before we returned for the kids naps. End result was the room only got full maid service 1 of the 5 days we stayed. When I called for towels and trash service, the response was prompt. I also had to call regarding a dishwasher problem, it was also fixed almost immediately.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I was happy to see that you enjoyed quite a number of our resorts features. Our building is ocean view. It views the ocean and the tree topped residential area in what is considered one of the most prestigious areas in Myrlte Beach. We do not want to imply Horizon is directly on the ocean but is only 500 yards from the sandy beach. We do appreciate your compliments as well as your constructive criticism. When taking care of hotel guests we need to hear from our guests on the good and sometimes the less than good, so we can continue to improve. We never want to stop working toward that perfect vacation spot for our guests. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feelings with us.
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My Wife and two of our friends spent 4 nights/5 days at the resort via Club Wyndham Vacation Resorts from Monday 5/13/13 (check in) through Friday 5/17/13 (checkout). I picked this resort since it was rated 4 stars verse the other selection which had terrible reviews.

The resort was clean, however we were put into a 1 bdrm & my guest were on a different floor (some restriction on the plan, must be stacked!). We had to ask for light bulb replacements, the towels were horribly thin and scratchy, glad we brought our own beach towels, doors squeaked, toilet sounded like a jet taking off. We noticed a really annoying smell on Tuesday which affected my Wife bad enough that we had to ask to be moved from the room, which they agreed to. We found out that the smell was coming from the floor below which was the indoor pool that was be refurbished. Keep in mind that I had gone to the front desk the day before and was told they didn’t know what the smell was. We were moved to the 9th floor which was a much better room (same towels…).

I’m most disappointed with Wyndham Vacation Resorts for their selection of resorts/hotels for their vacation packages (dissatisfied Wyndham property owner). When I return to vacation at Myrtle Beach in the future I will avoid this resort, and will never attend another Wyndham Vacation Resort Package. I hope this helps other in their decision on resort selections. Please note, that whenever we have stayed at a Wyndham Managed Resort we have been extremely satisfied.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are slightly larger & have windows.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

First of all we had a wonderful stay here. We absolutely loved the location you are right in the middle of the Myrtle beach area in between North and South Myrtle about a 7 min drive to each and a 1 min walk to the beach. When we checked in the front desk lady was coldly receptive, not necessarily rude but close. There are two banks of elevators so when you get there it would be nice of the front desk staff to have a map of the rooms and direct you to which bank is closer to your room so it is easier to unload your luggage. The linens were inconsistently bad some worse than others, the towels were very scratchy and almost see through sometimes. The pool towels that you have to go to the front desk for ( which is an inconvenience) were the size of tea towels, so ask for two per person). When I asked the front desk staff why pool towels weren't located by the pool she said the usually are but not all the time "so basically never then" I replied and she said "yes" and they never were there during our 5 day stay, so I don't know why they don't have a towel shelf there it makes no sense. The bedding was old and worn out with some old stains, it was clean but stained. The pull out couches why? they are uncomfortable to sit on and even more uncomfortable to sleep on and stain easily and were stained. Why don't hotels but leather or faux leather couches they are easily cleaned don't stain and are cheap and comfortable and last longer than those cheap pull outs. They could rent out blow up mattresses which are more comfortable, hygienic and easy to store and set up with a pump, instead of the pull out makes perfect sense to me. The flooring was partially carpeted which I'm not a fan of, we recently stayed at a hotel with engineered wood flooring which is much easier to clean lasts longer and is better for people with allergies. The rooms were well stocked and appointed, we found the washer and dryer to be convenient. They do have laundry detergent for $1 at the front desk. The two front desk ladies one of them was the manager were refreshingly friendly as we checked out, I did mention a couple of the issues I had and she did encourage me to write the review on TripAdvisor. Overall I would definitely recommend staying here, I look forward to staying here again and hope that they consider implementing my suggestions. Adios amigos!

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room on the second floor or higher since the first floor is the same flo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Senior_V
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
So sorry you did not enjoy the quality of towels. I will certainly pass this comment along and take action where needed. I was a little concerned when I first started reading the review but was so very pleased to see you would return and recommend to others. I do appreciate your comment and look forward to serving you again soon.
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were very pleased with Horizon at 77th. The staff was friendly and quick to respond when needed. The room was beautiful and spacious. The weather wasn't great but the heated pools and lazy river were a welcome substitute since it was a little too cool and rainy to enjoy the beach. I can't wait until my next trip. I plan to make Horizon at 77th my go-to place at the beach!

Room Tip: The ocean-view room also looks over the outside pool and lazy river.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AmyWrenn
Yorkville, Illinois
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Thank you to the entire staff at Horizon at 77th for making our weekend fantastic!! We were able to check in early, which was great!! The Staff had surprised us with decorating our room for our daughter's Birthday... I had only mentioned we were visiting for her Birthday on Horizon at 77th's Facebook Wall. Folks, that goes far beyond attention to detail and customer satisfaction. It brought tears to my eyes. Fabulous views from the room, heated pools inside and outside, everywhere in the rooms and the resort are so clean!! We have stayed here quite a few times, and every trip always gets better! I cannot say enough about this place! I tell everyone I know that this is the only place to stay in Myrtle Beach and if you are going to another beach... stay at MB instead so that you can stay here...lol.. We will be there again in a month! Can't wait :D

Room Tip: We stayed on the penthouse floor, but every view from this place is amazing!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family