“Great hotel on the beach”
Review of Horizon at 77th

Horizon at 77th
Ranked #57 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Willoughby, Ohio
“Great hotel on the beach”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here with a friend and our 3 kids. Chose to stay at this hotel because of location. Hotel has nice views of the beach and has great access to the beach. We liked it as it is a little north of the busy part of the beach but within a short drive. There were a lot of shops and restaurants within walking distance. Our room was super nice, we had a 2 bedroom with 1 king and 2 queen beds, a full kitchen, huge balcony with a good view of the beach and ocean, tv's in every room, and 2 full bathrooms. The price was good for the amount of space and comfort. Will definitely stay here again on my next trip to Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Crystal L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This property is very pleasing to the eye upon arrival, things get a little tricky after that. The layout of this hotel is crazy, it's almost like a labyrinth of some sort. You can easily get lost just trying to get from parking to check in. Once in the room it is a very nice layout, I was in a 2 BR/2 BA. Very spacious, nice view of the ocean (this is not a oceanfront property). The kitchen was very nice except for huge dent in the refrigerator door, the living room had a pull out sofa that smelled and looked like it had not been cleaned in decades. The bedrooms were spacious but also had a very dank and dirty smell. I questioned the cleanliness of the room several times as there is no housekeeping during the time that you are checked in. The staff however are some of the nicest people around and they do anything in their power to make your stay pleasurable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeeBose
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
I was pleased to see you enjoyed the staff at the resort and I will be sure to let them know. I am sorry you found the building difficult to navigate. We have added signage to help our guests find our lobby and elevators and will certainly look at this again based on your observation. I do hope you will allow us the privilege of serving you again in the future.
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Every year about this time me and my friends take a 5 day vacation to myrtle . Last year we stayed in bay view this year we tried the horizon . It had wonderfull view . We were able to see the sunset even. I recommend the horizon to everyone it was on of the best places I ever been

• Stayed February 2013
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We are so pleased you chose to stay at Horizon during your last visit to Myrtle Beach. You are so right that our view is second to none and appreicate you sharing on Trip Advisor. We will look forward to serving you again soon. Again, thank you for being a part of the Horizon family of vacationers.
Anaheim, California
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I was very surprised at the value of this hotel. I arrived and for me the location was great. I don't like being in the heart of the strip. The location was quiet and a plus for me no traffic!!!! Lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. I will definitely stay at the Horizon at 77th again. Oh the parking deck was very nice and spacious parks no door dings. The rooms were clean and spacious.... I wish they offered ocean front rooms but ocean view wasn't bad considering the other pluses.

• Stayed February 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit with a beautiful view of the beach. It was very clean and up to date. The maid service was very good, The indoor heated pool was very warm and easy to access. The rooms were very large. We had 4 adults and 2 children with plenty of room.

Room Tip: Room 601 was a great room with nice views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wadsworth, Ohio, United States
Reviewed February 19, 2013

First, I have been to Grand Shore Resort with my family for over 8 years with no problems or issues. The Grand Shore is the sister resort to the Horizon. Since the Grand Shore was booked, I opted to try this property. I booked the room for a three night stay in a 2 bedroom condo with a beach view. When I booked, I was not informed I would need to relocate after staying just one night. Upon check in I was informed of this information and was asked if the hotel could move our luggage or if we wanted to do this ourselves. I stated we did not want anyone touching our belongings and would handle the move ourselves. I provided my cell phone number to be contacted when our new room was ready. We waited a better portion of the morning waiting to be notified however did not hear. We decided to go to the boardwalk around 1:30 pm. Still not having heard anything I phoned the hotel to inquire at 3:00 pm. The receptionist stated the new room was not ready and did not have any time of when it would be. I asked to be contacted in 30 minutes.We returned to the hotel around 3:30 pm wet from being got in a rain/wind storm walking to our vehicle. I went to the front desk to get towels for the kids to swim and also again inquire about our new room. The receptionist again did not have any information. Within a few minutes, my family came to the lobby to inform me the room had been cleaned out however they found items left by housekeeping in the dryer and drawers. Again the response was we do not know where your luggage is and your new room is still not ready. We asked to speak to the property manager after receiving no assistance from the lobby help. After waiting 20 minutes with soaked cold kids, a gentlemen came into the lobby, walked straight to the office where he spent another 10 minutes 'working'.
We finally asked if he was the manager and he responded yes to come inside so he can 'hear what we have to say'. He did not shake our hands, introduce himself other than first name, did not make eye contact and insisted this was standard procedure and couldn't understand why we were so upset. He insisted we authorized the luggage to be moved and Iris who checked us in does not make mistakes. I insisted we would never allow anyone to move our luggage as we have several electronics, jewelry and moreover, the ashes of a family member.
The manager again stated 'procedure' however offered a 20% discount. I responded I was not satisfied with his apology or offer of restitution. I asked for someone higher who could satisfy and understand our concerns. He provided the name of the district GM who would be at the property the next day and said she would contact us to further discuss.
Finally after nearly an hour of waiting we were able to get into our new room. Where we spent another 20 minutes sorting how they threw our luggage, food and computers together in the bedroom.
The next day, I waited again all morning and still no call. Finally, we went to the lobby and asked for her.
She was very kind, apologetic and understanding. While she was not sure where the miss-communication came in, she did state housekeeping was not to move items such as this and it only should be handled by a supervisor. She said she had a meeting with the housekeeping staff later that day and would address the concern. She also conceded what we experienced was a 'cluster' and should not have occurred. She also offered a 50% room discount for the night, not for the entire stay.
While I did appreciate the room upgrades such as granite and stainless steel appliances, I was sorely disappointed in the waiting, lack of information and customer service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We do sincerely apologize for the confusion concerning your room move. We have met with our housekeeping supervisors, front desk and desk managers to discuss this and we do feel our procedures will improve in all departments as a result of your experience. Thank you for sharing your feelings with us. We do value you as a repeat guest and hope to be given the opportunity to serve you again at the Horizon.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel had fresh paint and looked new (nice restoration job). Rooms look just like the website photos. Staff (Iris at checkin and Michelle at checkout) were very pleasant and competent. Rooms were good size and very well sound proofed.

Only criticism I had was the lack of a soap dish for the shower and the hall bathroom sink.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple