“Just average.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
South Wind On The Ocean
Ranked #79 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I can only rate as average. I was expecting it to be a little more high end. I booked online. I think the price was fair. I had requested an early check in and a high floor. We were granted the early check in however there was not a one bedroom oceanfront available except the second floor. We did find it nice to park on the same level as the condo. Outside grounds attractive. Location is great. I don't like the busy areas in MB. Parking was easy even with a full size Yukon but it was end of the season. Not sure how that would be during busy times. The lady who checked us in was very nice. Upon walking into condo there is a small musty smell. I know beach property's are hard to keep fresh due to dampness. The area in the condo with the tile flooring was very clean. The kitchen was very clean with the exception of the drawer in the stove when I was looking for pans. The kitchen was well stocked with anything you needed to cook with, coffee maker, toaster, mixer, coffee, dish clothes, and dishwash. The bathroom tile floor was clean however the walls need a good cleaning. There was evidence of spots of something all over it. The vanity was nice and clean. The shower was extremely small. I don't like it to be so tight that the shower curtain used by previous renters is touching me while bathing. Would have liked for it to be a lil larger. Bedroom was okay. Nothing to really be excited over. Beds slept fair. Carpet in the bedroom was okay. However the carpet in the living room was sub par. It needs a good shampoo or even replacement. It just felt yucky to my bare feet and had lots of stains. The kitchen table was also a murphy bed. The chairs to the table were nasty and stained. They also need cleaning or replaced. The living room couch looked new however it was of low quality. The rest of the furniture was not very new. I like a lil more plush comfortable furniture than we had. Plastic chairs on balcony were clean and in good repair. Being on the second floor gave us a poor oceanfront view. Just not the same as a higher floor. It was also directly over the pool and you felt as though there was no privacy when on balcony. For us and the ones laying in the chairs with their legs facing us... Also lights at the pool stayed on all night, I am sure for safety reasons but would have liked it a lil less bright at night. The balcony door did not latch so therefore it was not locked at anytime during our stay. There is no one at a desk to report this too after we found it but I really don't care for housekeeping or staff to be in my room once I have checked in. However a gentleman did knock on our door twice and ring the doorbell while we had the do not disturb sign out. He was maintenance and wanted to change the a/c filter. I was uncomfortable opening the door to a stranger. Would like to have been called ahead and told someone was coming in. But I do understand maintenance has to be done. We told him about the door. He looked at it and said a new lock would have to be ordered. There is no detail cleaning on the balcony or in the hallways. I know it is hard to do everything tip top but I was just expecting more than this condo offered. Pool area was nice as was the beach area in front of resort. Upon checkout again there was no one to leave the key with. I called over to the sister hotel next door and he wanted me to bring the key over there. I asked could I just leave it in the room. He said yes the maid would get it and bring it over. I do realize these are owned by individuals and the condos may vary. I would probably not stay here again unless I asked a lot of questions and inspected the unit at check in. I can therefore only rate this experience average.

Room Tip: Ask questions. Do not book online.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicole H, Guest Service Supervisor at South Wind On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear ladybenson,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review and share your thorough comments regarding your recent stay with us. While it disappoints me that you felt your experience was just average, I appreciate your thoughts and will use this information to bring this resort up to the standard that you and I expect. I hope that you reconsider a stay with us here at South Wind on the Ocean so that we can give you the great experience that you deserve.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We recently stayed 7 days at South winds and overall it was a pleasant stay. It rained for 4 days but still had plenty to do. We had only 2 issues during our stay. First ..it rained so hard one day that the parking lot drains could not handle the rain and the water filled our shoes (4" of water in parking lot) but the water eventually went down when the rain stopped and really not a big deal. The 2nd which was very disturbing was the ignorant young lady that was sitting with her feet in the hot tub. She was smoking and flicking her ashes right where everyone including the children walk, sit , and swim. She then rudely proceeded to extinguish her cigarettes right on the pool side concrete. THIS WAS JUST WRONG!!!!!! Smoking should not be allowed while around the hot tubs , pool , and lazy river! There are plenty of smoking areas in the grass. Other than those everything was very nice!

Room Tip: Pool and hot tub close at 9 must use beach colony pool and hot tubs till 11pm
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joseph D
Nicole H, Guest Service Supervisor at South Wind On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear JosephD,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay but it saddens me to hear that we did not succeed in all areas. This is a non smoking property, so I would like to encourage you on your next stay to please make us aware when someone is smoking in the public areas and we will make sure to put a stop to any inappropriate behavior. We look forward to hosting you and yours soon and wish you a fantastic rest of the year.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

After years of staying at Beach Colony we finally got an opening at South Wind. There was no one at the front desk so we had to walk back over to Beach Colony only to find the owners decided to stay in their condo and we were switched to the second floor in South Wind which would be over the pool and disappointing. The front desk was very nice and we were given a room back at the poor Beach Colony. The folks are nice as is the location. It is the management that is the issue in that the rooms are in such a horrible condition that I don't think the owners are required to keep up with the inside. The couches are ripped, the rugs are wet, the TV didn't work, the bedroom furniture was broken and so many babies in the pool. I regret this is our last stay as we don't risk making a reservation at South Wind in February to slip back to Beach Colony in August.

Room Tip: There is no confirmation you will get the room you made reservations for months in advance
Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jo514

Dear jo514,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our properties, I would like to apologize that we were unable to provide you the room you requested at Southwind and that you choose to stay at the Beach Colony resort. As I am sure you know, each of our units at both properties are individually owned and we do use comments such as yours to continually push our owners to bring their units up to the standards our customers have come to expect. I would like to speak to you further regarding your experience so that we continue to improve our customer service techniques and I would also like to encourage you to please give us another chance to meet your expectations and book you the room you want at South Wind.

843.449.4010 ext 7106
nhadad@beachcolony.com

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our second year staying at South Wind.The accomadations are phenomenal! Ten family members arrived and we were taken care of from the very start. At check-in by Lori (I hope I got her name right) who was very plesant and helpful to Deborah, who made sure our condo stayed clean and shiny. All in all a great time had by all. See you next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank E M
Nicole H, Guest Service Supervisor at South Wind On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear E M,

Thank you so much for sharing your review of your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that your second year has been a success and will be sure to pass along your wonderful compliments to the staff. We look forward to hosting to you and yours next year.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was our 2nd year at South Wind in a 3 bedroom condo with the whole family. Very clean and well furnished condo. The front desk staff (Laurie) could not be a better first impression for your facility. She greeted us last year and again this year. She is friendly, helpful and just gives you good feeling about staying there. Great family environment without all the loud outside noise we had experienced at another location. Would definitely recommend :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elaine H
Nicole H, Guest Service Supervisor at South Wind On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Elaine H,

Thank you so much for your review of South Winds as well as your continued support and patronage. I am very happy that you had a great time and will be sure to let Laurie know that she did a great job. We look forward to having you back with us again and hope you and your family have a great rest of your summer.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at South Wind with a few friends for a long Memorial Day weekend. I was a bit worried when we arrived at 5:30 pm and found the office closed, but we were directed to the neighboring Beach Colony resort to check in without any issues. The accommodations were excellent. Our two bedroom, two bath condo was very clean and well appointed. The kitchen was stocked with everything we needed (although some of the cooking utensils were a little flimsy). The kitchen and bathrooms had beautiful granite countertops, and the master bath had a large whirlpool tub. There were three flat screen TVs with cable, although we didn't use them much since the weather was so nice (upper 70s and mostly sunny). The large balcony overlooked the ocean and, despite the noise of bike week, was very nice for relaxing in the evening. The location is slightly out of the way (not on the main boardwalk), but the beaches were less crowded which easily made up for this.

There was a very large outdoor pool (slightly chilly this early in the season), a lazy river, and two hot tubs plus an "indoor" pool, kiddie pool, and hot tub. (The indoor pool was really enclosed inside, but the large wall/windows were open-air instead of glass.) There weren't any towels at the pool, so make sure to bring your own. The washer/dryer in the condo helped keep our towels fresh. The oceanfront views were great, and beach access was easy. Housekeeping came daily to tidy up. Parking was convenient, although we chose to do our grocery shopping beforehand and didn't go out once we arrived.

I was slightly concerned given the website and lack of reviews on this property in comparison to some of the other places I considered, but I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at South Wind and would certainly return again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank onlineguy
Nicole H, Guest Service Supervisor at South Wind On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear onlineguy,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful views and easy beach access that this oceanfront property has to offer. It can be nice to be a short distance away from all of the hustle and bustle of the central Myrtle Beach area (especially during bike week), and I am glad that you found South Wind able to offer you that experience. We look forward to hosting you and yours again in the future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed in room 1406 (5 bedroom) in mid January 2013. This was our first visit to Southwind, so I was a little unsure of what to expect. We visit Myrtle Beach at least 6 times a year, and have now found our new favorite place to stay. This condo was amazing! It was super clean, had tons of cook ware for cooking, and all the amenities of home. There seemed to be enough towels, but I always bring my own anyway, so that is never an issue. There is a full sized washer and dryer within the unit for doing laundry and drying towels that may be taken to the pool area. I cannot say enough good things about this place. The facility overall was wonderful as well. The pool area was clean, the water was not over chlorinated, and the hot tub was hot enough. The elevators were not slow, which can be a problem in some resorts. The common areas were well maintained, and there was plenty of parking. I am a very picky person when it comes to places to stay, and I can say with certainity that we will DEFINITELY be staying here again, and hopefully we will be able to get unit 1406 again. Awesome trip!!

Room Tip: Room 1406, which is an end unit, has a wonderful balcony and excellent view!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mlgmom1
Darby D, General Manager at South Wind On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2016

Thank you for such a wonderful 5 review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us- We aim to provide nothing but the best experience to our guests. Thank you for giving us the chance to make your stay pleasant and memorable.

Your feedback is very important and helps us to continually improve our service. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards