“5-Stars Based on 'Value' for the Buck!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Twilight Surf Motel
Ranked #133 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
College Park, MD
“5-Stars Based on 'Value' for the Buck!”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Seldom stay in older motels, due to musty,dank smells, but inspection found no bad odors, even from the Surf's window air-handler unit! The IrishRover review was submitted a couple weeks before our '1st of Apr.' arrival,on our way to MD frm FL, & I believe all their complaints have been remedied! A few guests of this approx. 50-unit motel, stayed on the balcony quite late, but they were either extremely quiet, or with the din of the fan, we didnt notice! It felt like home with the slightly faded, soft, clean, all cotton bedspread, that will never contaminate, & was appreciated during our two cool nights! The pool was warm, and MUCH cleaner than the identical one at the nextdoor motel. Was tickled to be able to preserve our FL citrus in a crisper drawer of our fridge, & to be able to chill & reheat our doggie-bag goodies, late at night, while watching tv, was a real bonus for our $32! Tho a wkday, didnt notice any noise frm airport, & unless one desired full seclusion, no more quiet or convenient location was observed by this retired pair! With stagnant income, & helping family members, this place was a treasure to us, including the few flecks of wear in the still effective dark drapes! We watched guests arriving, being greeted like family, & assumed they were! After speaking to several however, we found most were just regular 'regulars,' whom had vacationed here for 10 or more years, & just feel like family!! Like them, we plan to return again; well worth the minor flaws that age brings! My ONLY wish would have been for a small window to open, to hear the ocean, & feel the heavenly breeze! But Alas, 'progress' has 'sealed us in,' I suppose, as guests became negligent in performing the simple act of closing windows, when appropriate! Be sure to whistle at the two friendly parrots across the street, at the large, yet quaint breakfast/lunch cafe!

Room Tip: View frm 1st or lower floors ocean front, may not clear the dunes, but well worth the few dollars mo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Having stayed here for many years, I am still a "generally satisfied" customer. But after our visit mid-March this year, I surely noticed a lot more wear & tear than previous visits. While the place is still a decent value for the money (we paid $32 per nite for a side-view), there are lot's of areas that could be updated without making a big investment. For one thing, the heavy, ancient bedspreads should be retired, and replaced with a duvet or similar top sheet that can be laundered frequently. The exterior walkways and doors need a good cleaning and painting. Our room door was delaminating, and literally falling apart. The neighbors two doors down had a pile of lawn chairs and coolers blocking the walkway every day so that we had to use the stairs at the opposite end of the building when coming or going ... the walkway was nearly impassible. Surely this would be a problem in an emergency or fire. The neighbors sat outside drinking and smoking until after midnight almost every day, and were pretty loud! Understanding that they were on vacation, and wanted to enjoy themselves, but we would have enjoyed a little bit of consideration too!

There were lots of rooms advertised along the boulevard with similar low rates, so next year, we'll try a different property for comparison.

Personally, I'd recommend that Twilight Surf upgrade the cosmetics a bit, even if it means increasing rates by a few bucks per night. A little investment and modernizing now could help to keep the place an attractive, viable, low-cost option, as it has been for so many years previously.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank IrishRover999
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I have been staying here for almost 27 yrs and have only missed a couple of years in that time.But everytime I'm here it is a very good vacation.The staff is very helpful and the rooms are great for the price,remember your not at the Hilton.I love it here and don't want to stay anywhere else!!! We enjoy it every year!!! THANKS FOR THE GREAT MEMORIES!!! Tammy Moore and Family!!

Room Tip: It doesn't matter they are all good
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tammy M
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Just returned from a 3 day stay @ MB ... and can't say enough about this wonderful, older motel. The rooms are clean, and the location is perfect ... all at a very good price! Convenient to Murrel's Inlet & Surfside Beach. Although I drove down, the airport is within a mile or so, as is the shopping mall and many excellent restaurants. A great breakfast and lunch spot is directly across the street! We've stayed here for years, and hope to return for many years to come.

Room Tip: Side view rooms can be a bit noisy (facing the parking lot), Ocean View are only a few bucks more &a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank IrishRover999
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Last year we stayed and the room didn't have a kitchen and it was very small, so we tried a different room with a kitchen this year and It was great! It was a good size room. The bathroom was great ( I hate nasty, old bathrooms). The air conditioning ran great. TV was missing a power button, but it had a remote so it was fine. The fridge didn't stay very cold so my meat spoiled but it was ok because food lion gave me a new one! It was quiet, the pool was ok. Its on the beach so of course I love the convience. Our houskeeping lady was great! She was very very nice. Her name was Wanda, If I go back I am going to request her. She made sure we had everything and always had a smile, a personality that makes you feel comfortable. This hotel is very affordable and if you are ok with a decent hotel, this one is right for you! We have previously stayed at the Landmark ( a bigger hotel) but I feel like I over paid after staying here. I dont stay in the room too much anyway so this suits me fine. We have also stayed at the wave rider and they are very very rude and the hotel needs work!

Twilight is great and I will be back!

Jessica, Jose & Alexxa

1 Thank JessicaC09
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This was the second summer in a row we've stayed here at Twilight Surf. It's cheap, and for an OF hotel, can't be beat for the price. It's old, and worn around the edges, but clean, so that's good enough for us. It's an OF hotel, but not all the rooms are OF. Because it's an L-shaped hotel, SOME of the side view rooms have a (duh) side view of the ocean, but some definitely do not, b/c the view is blocked from the leg of the L that is comprised of completely OF rooms. You do get what you pay for here. Even the OF rooms here are still less expensive than most of the cheapest non-view rooms at other fancier, more expensive hotels.
DO NOT come here expecting a continental b-fast, room service, or any other typical amenities that are the norm for chain hotels. It's not a chain, it's a mom-and-pop establishment, that's clean, quiet and budget friendly. I realize everyone's opinion of what is clean and good service is different, and can sometimes be hit or miss, but both last year and this year, we were not disappointed with either the cleanliness or the service. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the cleaning ladies did not come into our room each day to clean, etc, but the ladies we encountered each day were pleasant and nice, and seemed to all be working hard. We did have to stop one of them and ask for our trash to be changed, and for some extra towels and washcloths, but she was nice, polite, and prompt. (I suppose everyone's opinions, again, are different)
Yes, the outside carpet on the outdoor walkways is dirty, damp and covered in sand. But, guess what, IT'S OUTSIDE, ON THE BEACH. It's acceptable to us. (Again, everyone's standards are different) And, yes, some of the furniture (the chairs, specifically) is older and a bit stained in some places from normal use, wear and tear (could use a good steam cleaning once in a while) but it's not the Hilton, and the rest of the room was clean. There was plenty of tp and soap in the bathroom; the shower, sink and toilet were clean, as was the entire kitchenette area. We did not see any bugs, nowhere, not even outside. And bugs are a deal breaker for me. So, trust me, if we had seen any, we'd have been outta there.
There is a pool, it's OF, and was clean as well. There's a little blocked off area at the shallow end, that's just for the kiddos, and our little one enjoyed it immensely.
I absolutely would recommend staying here to anyone who's just looking for the basic place to stay, and is on a budget. It's clean, and to me, that's the most important part. I would NOT recommend staying here to anyone who enjoys the amenities of a larger chain hotel, with conveniences and more one-on-one service.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so ask for ground or 2nd floor level if stairs bother you. OF rooms will be no...
1 Thank DianaPrince217
Coeburn, Virginia
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were forced to stay here because it was all we could find, we went down the week of the July 4th, 2011! It's totally NASTY, run down and we were told ocean front when booking, NOT instead parking lot view!! Upon check in I noticed my bed had pubs in it and sand! We complained but they wouldn't even give us clean sheets. I had to sleep on my blanket. They never clean your room and be sure and bring your own towels, trash bags, sheets and anything else because they provide NOTHING! The lamps in the room didn't even have shades on them, none of the plugs ins work!! It needs to be torn down!!! Or condemned!!! Our room had cockroaches hang gliding from Doritos! I am the type person that doesn't care where I stay as long as it's clean I aways say! But YUK, Total Trash If you are planning on staying here U better think again!!! NASTY
s

4 Thank lgr_10
TwilightSurfMotel, Front Office Manager at Twilight Surf Motel, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
1. We never "force" anyone to say here. IF you had requested ocean front that is what you would have received. Most people request the cheapest room, so we offer side views.
2. We offer "daily" maid service for all rooms unless the guest refuse this service.
3. We have trash cans (with bags) in all rooms and offer as many as the guest need.
4. Sheets are changed daily and we can offer more sheets if you need them.
5. Some of our electrical outlets are connected to switches on the wall to make turning on lamps easy (so you most likely didn't flip those switches.
6. Did you report the missing lamp shades? Maintenance would have replaced them immediately.
5. We have a routine pest control plan and we take pride in how our rooms are bug free.

If you look at our other reviews people may complain because it is an older property but we do offer extremely affordable rates, we are located directly on the ocean and keep the rooms clean and we do not get any complaints to the magnitude that you have posted. After reading your review it honestly sounds like a practical joke or a review from someone we had a problem with and had to ask to leave and this is your way of getting even.

"Cockroaches hang-gliding on Doritos's?" You can't be serious!

I hope you did not expect anyone to take your review serious!

To anyone one else interested in staying with us please read the "majority" of our reviews or come by in person and ask to take a look at one of our rooms for yourself. I assure you that you will not see anything to the magnitude of the things posted in this review.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels