“Expensive for what you get”

Ripley's Aquarium of Myrtle Beach
Ranked #19 of 73 things to do in Myrtle Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Glide on 330ft moving path beneath the Dangerous Reef! TOUCH sharks, stingrays, hermit crabs & jellies! Experience a world of eels, colorful fish, mermaids & poisonous predators! NOW OPEN - PEARL HARBOR EXHIBIT! Ripley's Myrtle Beach offers 5 unique attractions open 365 days a year. Don't miss all the fun!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed December 8, 2014

This is a wonderful aquarium, very well done. When we bought our tickets, which are very expensive (over 20 dollars each), the sales rep said it takes about an hour and a half to see everything. Our group did the entire aquarium in about 45 minutes, and that included posing for pictures, looking at the trees, oohing and ahhing over the shark tunnel, looking at the gift shop, and so on. So, yes, if money is no object, do this, but I think that is slightly pricey especially for families with young children.

1  Thank ELexington
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Ripley's Aquarium of Myrtle Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2014

Thank you for visiting Ripley's Aquarium! Our visitor experience is self-guided, and some groups definitely make it through the tour in less than the usual hour and a half. We aim to provide an outstanding experience for all our visitors, and we take your comments seriously. Thank you for your feedback. We have new and exciting plans for the future, and hope you will come back and visit us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,200)
All reviews
in 84 reviews
"whole family"
in 100 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014 via mobile

As a kid, my dad took me here quite a few times. I loved it so much and I vividly remember the shark tunnel and the sting ray petting pool. My boyfriend has never been, so I decided to plan a surprise weekend.

I'm giving this 4 stars because of its sentimental value, but as an adult it was slightly disappointing. It was much smaller than I remember and when we arrived at the ray petting pool (the biggest reason I brought him there) there were mermaids entertaining a bunch of kids. Im not sure if the petting pool is totally gone or if we were just there at a bad time, but I was sad.

The shark tunnel was still really cool but it looked like it needed a little TLC. Our favorite part was when we got to stick our hands in a pool of water filled with doctor fish. That, and the jellyfish made the trip totally worth it.

As an adult, if you're curious its worth at least one visit.

If you have young kids, the aquarium is a MUST! They have a lot of hands-on stuff and live shows. I loved it when my dad and I went every summer.

Thank you for visiting Ripley's Aquarium! You touched on some of our most popular features - our underwater tunnel through Dangerous Reef is a great place to see sharks, stingrays, sawfish and even a huge green sea turtle! Our Friendship Flats area is still a great place to touch stingrays, but mermaids are occasionally seen in this area, and they like to spend time meeting all the eager children after their shows. The doctor fish exhibit is another great touchpool, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed that! We take your comments seriously and appreciate your feedback. We have more fun and exciting things planned for the future, and I hope you will come back and see again soon!

Reviewed December 7, 2014 via mobile

My family's visit to Ripley's Aquarium was great! We purchased tickets from this young lady Emma who told us to review! When inside it was a lot bigger than expected! My kids loved the hands on activities. All the sting rays, fish that come to your hands, sharks; it's amazing! I think my husband loved the sharks more than my kids! Love love love it here! It's a little pricey but definitely worth it for a fun family experience!

Thank you for visiting Ripley's Aquarium! We are fortunate to have three different touch areas, and it sounds like you enjoyed all of them! We appreciate your feedback and are so glad you had a great time! Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed December 7, 2014

I found myself saying aloud the words that I would have as a child: "wow," "cool" and so on! I became fascinated by a stingray as it gently glided and circled around the tank in a way that reminded me of the gentle sway of an orchestra conductor's baton. One is never too old to be reminded that there is so much else to the world that we haven't seen that exists underwater. It was fun to watch a group of children on a field trip interact with a diver dressed in a Santa Clause costume. Ginger at the gift shop provided friendly, helpful customer service.

Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Ripley's Aquarium of Myrtle Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2014

Thank you for visiting Ripley's Aquarium! We are always happy to hear when visitors have a wonderful time - that is always our focus! December is a great time to catch Scuba St. Nick diving in our Ray Bay exhibits, and if you are lucky, you just might see one of his elves in Rainbow Rock! We appreciate your feedback and hope you will stop by to see us again sometime soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed December 7, 2014 via mobile

I've been to the aquarium many times...it's a fun place to kill an hour or so. There's a tunnel you go through on a conveyer belt which is neat, a petting of horseshoe crabs for kids, and a new addition called swarm which is cool. But that's really all- unless you want to pay another $20-$30 for a show or something extra. The aquarium is pricey off season at 24$ for adults. The lady at the box office was gracious and gave my family and I a discount for my father being a retired police officer, but even then it was still a crazy bill. All in all its a cool place for kids and a time killer for adults.

Thank you for visiting Ripley's Aquarium! Our prices are competitive with other Myrtle Beach area attractions, and we aim to deliver an outstanding visitor experience for all our guests! Our interactive exhibits include touch pools with sharks, stingrays and horseshoe crabs, and we have daily on-the-hour dive shows in our Rainbow Rock and Ray Bay exhibits that are all included with the price of admission. On the weekends, our Mermaid dive shows are also included with the price of admission. We take your comments seriously, and appreciate your feedback. We hope you will come back and visit us again soon!