“Well presented, but small”
Review of Ripley's Aquarium

$11.99*
Ripley's Haunted Adventure in Myrtle Beach
Ranked #8 of 123 things to do in Myrtle Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Glide on 330ft moving path beneath the Dangerous Reef! TOUCH sharks, stingrays, hermit crabs & jellies! Experience a world of eels, colorful fish, mermaids & poisonous predators! NOW OPEN - Glass Bottom Boat Adventure! Ripley's Myrtle Beach offers 5 unique attractions open 365 days a year. Don't miss all the fun!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've been twice to this aquarium - once many years ago and again Nov. 2012. I will say that it's well presented, and the moving walkway is unique among the many aquarium's I've visited. But it is small and it doesn't take a long time to see everything. I read most every plaque, looked carefully at the animals, saw some sections twice, went to both shows and still only spent about 2 hours there and was done. So for 20-some dollars, it's a bit pricey for 2 hours. However, compared to many other MB attractions, it's reasonably priced. It is worth seeing if you haven't been to many aquariums, but definitely try to find discounted tickets if possible.

Bethany M, Public Relations Manager at Ripley's Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2016

Thank you for visiting Ripley's... I'm so glad you had a good time. We appreciate your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to review us!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,316)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our family has visited Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach 2 years in a row. Our first visit was last year(November 2011) with our 2 kids (7&5yrs old).

There is no shortage of marine life in this small, densely packed building. It teems with sharks, rays, and hundreds of other sea creatures, all under one roof.

I will suggest that you may not find it as interesting the 2nd time around, and our kids lasted about 2 hours the 2nd visit vs 4 hours the first time. I think they will find it appealing again when they are a little older, when the science has more appeal. It is fairly expensive, but it's quite memorable. We were not able to see the Mermaid Show, as it only runs on weekends(at least during the office season...), but the Aquarium has other informative and lightly entertaining sessions with divers in some of their tank areas.

One note to the operators or Ripley's Aquarium: the eerie music in some of the display areas is quite loud, and droning. Some variety or change would be appreciated(or turn it down a notch :)
There were many ways to acquire "discount" tickets, and save a few dollars on admission. Our hotel offered tickets at the front desk, and some other area attractions/restaurants did the same.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

fun for young and old alike. Small enough to get around easily but experience was big
The kids will really enjoy the shows and the interactions with the hands on feel tank

Bethany M, Public Relations Manager at Ripley's Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2016

Thank you for visiting Ripley's... I'm so glad you had a good time. Thanks for taking the time to review us! We hope you will visit again soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was my second visit here, but my husband's first. It is a great place to spend a few hours and have some fun. Family friendly. Beware of the stingrays...they splash you! Would visit again.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I went to Myrtle Beach for our 4 year anniversary. I have been to Myrtle Beach numerous times, but the last time was probably 18 years ago.

The Ripley's Aquarium was one of the things that we had on our list of attractions to see when we first started looking into things to check out.

We ended up going on a day when it was slightly cloudy out, which was perfect for doing something inside. The aquarium didn't let us down, though.

The exhibits were well laid out, easy to get to, and fun to look at. I felt that all of the exhibits were very clean and well maintained, and the variety of animals and plants in the aquarium was well varied.

Exhibits ranged from a South American pond, complete with some very large piranhas, to a fairly large walk though tube that is typical of modern aquariums which allows you to go right into the world of the sea creatures. One nice thing about the tube was that there was actually a moving walkway that would allow you to slowly cruise through the exhibit. I chose to walk, because it was easier to get pictures, but for someone that had a mobility condition this would be a really welcome feature.

The staff was very courteous and easy to find, the cafe was exceptionally nice for an exhibit like this, and the gift shop was also pretty nice. My wife and I had lunch at the cafe, and the food was good, fairly priced, and quickly served.

Overall, I really enjoyed the aquarium.

The ONLY downside might be the size of the entire thing. If you've been to other large aquariums, you may be slightly disappointed with the size of Ripley's, however, I feel that it still packed a lot of fun things to see despite it's size.