“Be careful! Did not stay here. Experience from dealings with this hotel.”
Review of Yachtsman Resort

Yachtsman Resort
Reviewed October 14, 2013

In 2011 in front of The Yachtsman hotel ( walking up from The Breaker's) my husband& I saw sign on the sidewalk side in front of The Yachtsman Club that says ( & still does as of this past Aug) Pier 14 with an arrow pointing to the back of their hotel.Wanting to go see the then new boardwalk we walked down between the hotel. I passed by then heard an awful sound like someone pushed my husband( who is 6 ft tall& then about 220 lbs) do the ground hard. I turn around to find him flat out on the ground. Here he tripped over a long-skinny wall that protruds out from The Yachtsman's clubs retaining wall( that is & was as of Aug of this year all crumbled all across the back of their property), but this one long-skinny piece laid crossway close to the boarwalk& was sliced& that is what he fell over. His foot hit the sliced part of the unusal wall addition. He finally got up. No one was behind us& the customers in the Yachtsman's property that shoild of seen us ignored us. So my husband got up& walked a little as I was afraid an elderly person or young child would hit that broken piece of odd little wall & get hurt worse. As I didn't know what injuries my husband had yet as he was stunned. So I walked to the front of their hotel to ask someone to fix it. It took awhile to find a security guard who was more interested in telling me his life story. He said he would put something on the wall right then to protect others. So my husband& I went back to our hotel where we called the police due to his breathing problems& pains he started to have. So I had to fiqure out where the Grand-Strand hospital was. He broke his wrist& 2- ribs from the fall.
I spent that friday( Labor day weekend speaking with a nice women from The City of Myrtlebeach. She had to send men out to decide who's property the broken wall was on due as you walked by it you were on the boardwalk. She decided it was the Yachtsman's Club property& advised me to make a report with them. So my husband& I walked back up there. After having to move rooms( we were suppose to be home after our 8 days stay& we had to pay for 2 more days of our rental car, room, food, etc.) as we get back up to the Yachtsman club 3 days after the accident the defective wall was still not fixed in anyway. No business people would speak to us for the accident report or anything so we had to talk to 3 security guards to which I had to leave their office once due to they would not write defective-wall( even though they all saw it& agreedit was, finally they did write that& I had them sign it.
We didn't do anything to get any of our monies back from being inconvienced, etc as attorneies I called down there didn't seem to care. Could'nt get our hotel to cut us a break on the extra days we stayed, etc.
i did get pictures of the wall& the whole wall across the whole back of the yachtsman's club's property is crumbled even as of this past Aug
& the piece that sticks out& is broken is duck tapped with grey tape.
I would never have gone back to Myrtle after the way No one sypathized or tried to help or didn't care when you have an accident due to a sign saying to go that way( I had to prove to the security guards the sign is in front of their property I have pictures of everything).
We did return this past summer. I hope the Yachtsman's club has new owners, but I doubt it due to the comdition of the wall. Oh well I would' nt stay there. Wish we could of sued them even just to get our out of pocket money back for those 2 days& the pain& suffering my husband endured. Also I almost forgot when he fell he hit my foot& leg. I spent 6 months of money out of pocket & going to the chiropractor( he even tried to give me an attorney )thank God that is all that happend.
Glad we went back this past summer, but we be very careful& stay close to our hotel at dusk.
Should of written this then, but just been bothering me ever since.

Room Tip: We did not stay here this is our experience with this hotel, but not as customers.also had to put th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SusieTig

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed in a Cutter unit in the South Tower on the 6th floor in the beginning of October.

The hotel is somewhat dated, but is clean and comfortable over all. We had more than enough space in our room for two people. A small kitchen and dining area, living room space, and a comfortable bed next to a large sliding glass door. The balcony could definitely be better, as it is standing room only. There's no room for a chair at all.

The pool area is decent. There's an outdoor pool, a kiddie pool, and a small Jacuzzi. There are a few propane grills for cooking and patio furniture as well.

The location is great. The boardwalk is right outside, and restaurants and shops are within walking distance. Pier 14 is literally right outside of the hotel. You don't really need a car to get anywhere, which is nice, since the parking garage for the building is a block away. Not really a huge issue though unless you're doing a lot of driving. (Broadway at the Beach is only about 5 minutes away.)

Overall, the Yachtsman was a great value. It's not a 5 star hotel by any means, but for the price, we were very satisfied.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hailey626
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've stayed at the Yachtsman 3 times now; it's getting old, but when we were there the last time they were doing updates. What we like most is that the rooms are clean & comfortable, while you've got beach on one side & all the attractions in town on the other side. It's not fancy, but it's not bad, just dated. That doesn't bother us since we feel safe, secure, clean & comfortable. I'm not sure which tower is which, but this was the first time we stayed in the tower on the left facing the resort, & the Bandido Bar & Restaurant on that side was loud & rowdy until the wee hours of the morning. I won't stay in that tower again; the one on the right is fine. Prices are reasonable, & the staff is friendly & helpful. I'll go back, as long as I was in the tower on the right.

Room Tip: Go for the tower on the right! The left one is too noisy. We prefer a little higher up due to the no...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LaineESI
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We have stayed here multiple times over the years and we've always made jokes about the security guards and what they do. I wanted to ask one of them this year if his sole job was to stand at the edge of the pool deck and look for smokers. I realize smoking is a stupid habit but really??? We are outdoors...One of them actually stopped by our table when he saw cigarettes laying on top of our bag and warned us not to smoke...We always follow the rules and smoke in the designated areas so I was amused by this...There were many other things to do like getting people out of the 15 minute parking areas after an hour,checking with people wandering around the property that clearly weren't staying there,and telling the kids running around with fireworks to move along...Just saying....Get some priorities!!!!

3  Thank vacationhal
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been a Yachtsman interval owner for quite a few years. . Yes the place is in need of major repair, which they are in the process of doing. The units need updating, but are kept clean. new mattresses in the units. The air conditioning works fine. i stay in the North Tower, and the music from the new restaurant did not disturb us at all. The outside grounds are kept clean, always. The people in the activities area are always nice, and can help you with discounts on area attractions, loaning out pool towels, and general daily activities.
The location is in the heart of Myrtle Beach. You can walk to restaurants and shops. Kings Hwy., you can find just about anything you may want. I can only hope, once the repairs are finished, and the units are finally updated, this place will be back on top again. I enjoy The Yachtsman, and look forward to coming back next year..

Room Tip: North Tower has a better view of the ocean, and the laundry is in this building.
2  Thank Susan W
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Ok, well 1st off this was an exchange & I already knew from other reviews not to expect the Hilton. I was expecting the worst but this was the only place we could get on the beach anywhere on a interval exchange (which is the real problem). Anyway we walked in and both of us said this place looks fine. We are not high maintenance people. We were only able to get the sloop unit which is a 1 bedroom and the smallest unit. It had a full kitchen, large screen TV in the living room and a small TV in the 1 bedroom. The bathroom has a whirlpool and was very clean. All units are ocean view but the North bldg has the better view and we were asked if we wanted south or north and from other reviews I took the North. The south Bldg. looks over the ocean as well but has a pier in front of it with a gift shop and restaurant. You could not ask for a better location on the strip. The sky wheel is right there by you and so are gift shops. We ate at restaurants not on the beach but there are plenty right there if you prefer not to drive. I was surprised but Kings Hwy which is like 2 to 3 blocks over has anything and everything you need. We could have walked to Olivie Garden or K-Mart if you didn't mind a stroll. The north and south both have outside pools, hot tub and a shuffle board which was fun. They even had a movie night outside by the pool with a concession stand which was also fun. Now what I will advice to everyone is do not go to Myrtle Beach in August if possible because we found out after my mom getting stung that this is the worst month that Jelly fish are around . When we went up to the life guard informed us that 40 people that he knew of had already been stung that day. We will come back but not in August. As for as this place they are updating in a major way and even changing the outside balconies to be larger. Right now you can only step out but we could sit on the couch and see the ocean and pier. People that are owners and guests were all friendly and informed us that they are getting ready to put in new beds , and appliances as well. Anyway I am skipping around but the unit was clean and there is a safe in the room as well, free internet and parking. The north unit also has the laundry room and vending machines. Another note they did not pressure us to take a tour and they did hold on my credit card $100 until I checked out and then it fell off when I checked out. We didn't go next door to the glass tower which has a indoor pool but you can use it. They also come in and clean once during your stay and change out your towels. Anyway it was clean and met our needs.

Room Tip: The restaurant next door with music does not keep you up and the rooms have central air not room uni...
1  Thank Cathy K
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Traded for a week at this hotel through Interval. A total disappointment. Aside from the beach there is nothing nice about this place. Spend more money for a better place. The beds are uncomfortable, there is a restaurant with an outdoor stage that had LOUD bands every night, it smells, there were broken things in the unit and I checked out two days early because it was the worst place I have ever stayed!!!

Room Tip: Choose another resort!
Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family