“3rd time-still love it!”
Review of Oceans One Resort

Oceans One Resort
Ranked #30 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Chillicothe, Ohio
“3rd time-still love it!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We spent a week at Oceans One from June 3-8, 2013. Have nothing but good to say about Oceans One. I don't find it to be an issue at all with the parking being across the street. It is easy to get across and plenty of parking. Check in is always fast and hassle free. The overall cleanliness was excellent. We only had the housekeeping in a few of the days, as we didn't feel we needed it everyday. Plenty of towels and toiletries. Beds were plenty comfortable. We all slept in later than normal because of that. I love the wonderful view from the Type 14 condo with 2 bedrooms. Awesome view to wake up to. We were on the 11th floor. The kitchen was equipped with most everything you could need. We did not cook often, but we could have if we desired to do so. Any resort staff members we encountered were extremely friendly. Pool area seemed well maintained. It was nice and quiet during the week. The area in general has much more weekend traffic. This was our third stay and we will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Type 14 is awesome!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed a week at Ocean's one with family and friends in multiple rooms. We had a Type 7 room for three of us. It was a bit snug with three people. I couldn't see trying to fit 6 people in this room. Kitchen was small but we were able to cook a few meals. Fridge was normal size. Condos provide dish washing soap. Maid service came daily to switch towels, provide more soap, take trash out, and make beds. Some days we declined the service but just switched out the towels. Maid service doesn't wear uniforms, which was surprising. Also, mid week the resort changed a rule about wearing wrist bands at the pool. This was no big deal but we were not aware of this change and were questioned at the pool about this. We had to go to the lobby and get wristbands. The biggest complaint I have are the bums sitting in the corridor areas at night smoking. We would get home from dinner at night and there were always a few bums, or scary looking people in this area. You have to use your key to get into the door so waiting on the door to open was concerning. Location of condo is FABULOUS and watching the fireworks off the balcony is the best. Also, every Wednesday night in the summer fireworks are shot off the 2nd Ave pier which is next to condos.

1 Thank jolly12
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

So let me start this by saying Ocean’s One used to be one of the best places to stay in central Myrtle Beach. With some maintenance and a little push from management they could be once again.. I regret having to write this review about Oceans One but I am and honest person and I feel my experience needs to be shared. I have mixed feelings after my stay at Oceans One! I started my vacation on June 29th! I rented a 3 bedroom condo and my parents rented the 2 bedroom. 4 couples were in my room and 2 in my parents.. Check in was a breeze very friendly staff. We arrived at 11:30 a.m. well before check in. My room was ready while my parents were not. Not a problem at all they don’t allow check in until 4 but still let us in our room!! Very nice and might I add that every time I have stayed with them I have been able to check in early! Upon entering the room we were please, the room was very clean but some things including the rip in the chair and the wooden slats in the table on the balcony that were missing needed attention but other than that the rooms and the views are beautiful.. My parents were not able to check into their room until well after 4 p.m. Normally I wouldn’t be to picky about this because it was 4th of July weekend and I know they are very busy but when we did go to the room it was still not clean the maids were just standing around laughing and giggling doing nothing the table in the living room was broke. No one really moved until my aunt spoke up and told them they needed the room cleaned now! Day one done not really too much that we could complain about. We settled in and started enjoying our vacation! Day 2!!!!!! This is when things took a turn for the worse. All the condo’s come with housekeeping you have the option of not getting housekeeping and after reading the reviews on here about theft I was hesitant but believing that there are still honest hard working people out there I did not request NO HOUSEKEEPING!! BIG MISTAKE! We woke up to head to the beach I always tip well on vacation so we left a 30.00 tip in the envelope for the housekeeper! When we returned we discovered that she had went through some of the couples bags! My Sister in Law left her wallet under her suit case when we returned the wallet was on top with 50.00 gone! The other couple put their suit case in the corner behind the chair in their room and arranged the stuff on top of the suitcase in a certain way so we would know if anyone had bothered it. Everything was pushed from the top of the suitcase and his IPhone ear phones that were wrapped around his phone were gone!!! My sister in law actually walked in on the maid as she was on her way out as soon as she seen her wallet on top of her suitcase and realized the 50.00 was gone she walked out to the hallway to confront the maid. The housekeeper kept trying to avoid her saying she was the only one in there and she new nothing about anything missing maybe we misplaced it!! I honest believe she waited until the 2nd day so that we would think we spent more money that we did and think that we misplaced the ear phones!!! We immediately went to the front office and asked to speak with the manager. He came out and was very nice! We explained what had happen and he sent maintenance up to the room to read the key card on the door to make sure that it was the maid and not a member of our own party and sure enough it was the maid! So he explained that he didn’t want this to ruin our vacation so he gave us 100.00 in cash for the missing money and head sets. He requested that we didn’t say anything so that they could start baiting that particular maid rooms so he could make sure it was her! We said nothing and requested that she say out of our room! We where suppose to check out July 5th! Anyone who was there that week knows it rained the whole time this first part of the week so on the 4th we decided to stay and extra night so we could get more sunshine! I called down to the front desk and spoke with Dennis and very nice young man who got us in the room right next to us and added the 7 night discount to it! We were very pleased! So the day came for us to switch rooms!! I woke up early called the front desk to see if we would be able to go to the beach and wait until our room was done. They said that it wouldn’t be a problem at all! They said we could stay in our room until the other room was done! We didn’t know how long it would take housekeeper to clean the other room so I stepped outside the hallway to see what housekeeper it was and where they were cleaning on the floor to get and ideal of how much time we had to go to the beach.. When I stepped into the hallway I saw that the maid that was cleaning was the THEIF! I still politely asked her when she thought the room next to us would be cleaned! She refused to look at me or speak! I politely asked again she then turned to me and screamed they will call you when I’m done!!! I walked back into the room and called the front desk again to inform them that I flat out did not want that woman near my stuff or in my room!!! I was then transferred to Matt a very nice gentleman who told me that she would not be allowed in our room until we personally moved our stuff and that he would meet us in our room with our new room keys! Matt shortly came up with three maintenance men. We let them in our room and they began looking through the room and one maintenance man began reading the door keypad again.. I thought nothing of this at the time being which I was distracted by us moving all our things next door. The maintenance men and Matt began to help us which I thought was very nice! After everything was removed Matt then approached me to let me know that they had accidentally charge my credit card without my knowledge 250.00 for a smoking fee! NONE OF US SMOKE!! He apologized and said he would take card of this immediately! Apparently the housekeep was mad that she got caught and that she wasn’t allowed in our room! She didn’t realized we where just switching rooms and not checking out so she thought she could get even with us and turn us in for smoking that backfired because she was not allowed in our room all week so when they read the keypad it showed that she had never been in our room to see if we even did smoke which we did not!!! After Matt left, me and my cousin who was staying in the room was trying to get things organized from the move we left the door open! I assume either Matt or one of the maintenance men told the housekeeper what had happen and that her plan backfired so she start screaming that we were the worst guest she had every had and that we need to take our Sh** and keep moving instead of staying and extra day! Check out day came the money has still not been refunded to my account I have to wait 7-10 days for it to transfer back! The only thing that caused me not to have a total meltdown in the lobby checking out was the fact they informed me that they FIRED HER that day! Thank GOD! I know this was long but people need to be informed and I know for sure the manager reads all these Tripadvisor reviews. In his office is a computer screen with continuous feed from this site so they do get theses! I am sorry to say that my family will probably not be back to Oceans One I hate to say that because I loved this hotel and the front desk staff was great along with the security guard who roamed the pool and who helped us park on the 4th of July! Like I said this place could be great but some things need to change. Safes in to rooms would help out a lot!!!

Room Tip: The type 10 and 12 two bedrooms are beautiful!!!
8 Thank morganbritt2003
Kansas City
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Oceans One should be relieved that most everyone books their hotel reservations online because if hotel reservations were based on first impressions of the office or elevator lobby, everyone should run for the hills. It is hard to believe this hotel is only 5 years old. I would have guessed the age of the hotel to be at least 15 years based on the wear and tear of the place.

Oceans One should retrain their "housekeepers" on how to clean a hotel room ... or hire capable staff. After our terrible first impression of the place, when exiting the elevator - we were pleasantly surprised by the look and smell of the 3rd floor. Our delight was short lived when we entered our one bedroom condo and immediately smelled a musty mildew odor. The entire condo was worn out and dirty - burnt out light bulbs, non-functioning stove burners, finger prints had not been wiped from dishwasher, fridge, coffee table, or dining room table for a long time. Furniture was dirty and in need of repair or replacement.

Parking and unloading/loading was a nightmare due to small unloading zone in front of the hotel and parking lot located across the street.

Pool layouts were great - but not surprisingly, unclean and worn out. Towel service was nice - but clean towels never stayed in stock very long.

Balcony view of fireworks could not be beat - definitely the highlight of the trip.

Limited contact with staff was pleasant. We booked our room early and noticed online that their were discounts available months after we booked our reservation. Our bill was discounted accordingly without hassle and after only one quick phone call.

Unfortunately, Oceans One seems to be the lesser of 50+ evils as most ocean front hotels near Oceans One appears to be in far worse shape than this place.

We will be checking out other hotels for future stays but are not totally against the thought of returning here ...unfortunately, with load of cleaning supplies next time.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This visit was our second time staying at Ocean One. First visit was fantastic. My family and I stayed a week this trip, after the 3rd day we didn't get no type of house keeping. The maid knocked on door to hand us towels and told us she was gonna change our bedding while we was out, we came back to our room and the sheets was laying on the bed for us to change. Everyday I had to call and ask for towels, and trash bags. The room didn't have a pan, (no big deal) but it took 2hrs to get one brought up. We ran out of toilet paper. Would have to call to ask can someone come pick the trash bags up and the dirty towels up. The maid even went as far as giving my daughter the vacuum to vac the floor. (Of course I wasn't in the room) over all house keeping really is awful. The rooms in the middle of the building are no where near as nice as the rooms on the sides of the building. Drop the price of the stay if the guest are gonna have to clean the room.

• Stayed June 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just returned from a family trip to Myrtle Beach and a great stay at Oceans One. The location was great...3/4 mile walk from the main boardwalk area, and a block from Family Kingdom. We had a room on the 19th floor (1908), and the view was fantastic....2 bedrooms, both with floor to ceiling windows and on opposite sides of the condo so the kids had their space....faced southeast, so the morning sun was not shining in. Two balconies, both good sized. Beds...very comfortable, and good linens.

Check-in is across the street, but you can pull your car around and unload your stuff easily. Lots of carts available to take your stuff up to the room. Card access just to get in he building.

We had read the reviews about things being stolen, and we just asked for no maid service. We had a little cleaning up after ourselves, but it worked out great. TIP: bring your own "Do Not Disturb" sign, because they do not supply them AND bring your own dish detergent and a sponge to wash dishes too, though they do provide some dishwasher detergent.

Pool was great. You can access the beach irrigation behind the hotel, and rent chairs and an umbrella from the lifeguard stand....and you can reserve the same ones for multiple days.

Great view if the fireworks shot from the Pier on Wednesday night.

Pricey during the summer, but worth it. We highly recommend Oceans One.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank krutec
Abingdon
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We were on 15th floor and our unit was clean upon arrival. Housekeeping was very nice to us and came everyday, but I mainly just had them vacuum and swap out bath linens. I too had read the theft reviews and therefore i made sure i was in the unit each morning they knocked on our door. There was no broom or vacuum in our unit, which would have been nice to have. The furniture had dings and didn't look new, but it was clean. The views from up there was the best thing ever!! My children loved watching the amusement park rides and ocean from all the windows surrounding us. The only other thing I can think of that would have been nice is a good skillet and more cookware. I tried fixing an egg-n-cheese omelet one morning for breakfast and there was a large circle area of egg in that pan that wouldn't get done and stayed liquid so finally I had to just scramble them. Due to the lack of cookware to prepare dinner, we ended up eating out everynight(which I didn't mind:). The pool was very large and wasn't overly crowded, and the beach was real wide. My 3year old loved the glass elevators, and refused to ride the one without the glass. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2013