“Rooms and hallways stink; horrible air quality; if you have allergies, don't stay here”

Courtyard Myrtle Beach Barefoot Landing
Ranked #44 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I attend an event that's held at this hotel and that's the only reason I ever stay here. The first year, the room had a horrible, strong mildew/mold smell. In subsequent years, it was still strong and horrible. I just got back from a trip there and this year, they've used a heavy, heavy fragrance -- to hide the horrible mold/mildew smell. It's overpowering - in both the hallways and in the room. I have bad allergies - and had to open the window (which only opens about 4 inches) and run the fan the whole time, which didn't completely get rid of the smell. I had a headache most of the time I was in the room. When I came in the building and stepped off the elevator on my floor, each time there was an extremely strong scent that just about knocked me over.
Every year, I tell the front desk staff about this problem and every year when I return, it's not fixed. One year, they set up an air filtration unit in my room, which was noisy but helped somewhat. Should've done that again this year.
If you have allergies or a problem with strong scents (or just want to protect your health from mold/mildew), don't choose this hotel. I've never stayed in another hotel that smelled this bad.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diane O

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This property is located really center for Atlantic Coastal Beach as well as North Myrtle beach, SC.
Nice location and they have renovated the Lobby-looks awesome.
It is really damn close to Barefoot Landing, Alabama Theater, Pirates Voyage.
I stayed in the Fifth Floor-really nice scenic room. Breakfast Staff- especially Cecilia is quick, sharp and can manage multiple things in no time. She can get anything on Vegetarian and she also suggests on the complimentary breakfast and guides customers. Room was a King size-really well managed with super and nice bed. Lot of places to eat around.
Jane in the front desk is amazingly courteous, really polite, looks like really fit for Hospitality industry. Scott -front desk supervisor is awesome and good person. Deb or Debra who goes out of the way to make the rooms really clean. She is a great clean and role model for the cleaning Crew team.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Fifth floor on odd number series have a great scenic views. I was in Room 515. Higher f...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here overnight before checking into resort. Courtyard was clean & comfortable, close to everything. Great place for a stopover. Lobby is updated to typical Coutyard standards, breakfast was fast and tasty. Friendly welcoming front desk reception.

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on our drive back home to NEPA from a week stay in Florida. Slept in too late and missed breakfast but beds were comfortable. Not much to do since it is raining outside. The lobby's decor is nice and relaxing. Close to many places to eat.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Barefoot Landing this past weekend and really enjoyed our stay!

Pros: Very friendly staff at the front desk, housekeeping and at The Bistro. The housekeepers went out of their way to speak to me and my family and helped us find our room. We had a king size room with sleeper sofa. The room was the perfect size as once we pulled out the sleeper sofa, there was still plenty of room for us to set-up our pack-n-play for our baby. We really enjoyed having a small balcony as well. The location was great!! Really loved that we were within 5 minutes of the Tanger Outlets as well as Barefoot Landing.

Cons: While the front desk staff was friendly, it didn't seem like any of them had a real uniform on and I thought they could have looked a little more professional if they were all coordinating. Also, when I went to The Bistro to purchase milk for my baby, the waiter didn't charge me and he said that he didn't charge because the milk is getting ready to expire. What I didn't realize until I got up to my room is that it was actually expiring that day so it did have a bit of a funny taste already. Maybe next time if the gentleman could offer me the option to purchase newer milk or take the free 'almost expiring' milk, I think that would be better as I would have purchased newer milk. I also thought that since some of the rooms offered balconies that there would be chairs to actually sit on the balcony but I was wrong. I could see that some balconies had chairs so maybe mine was just missing them. Still loved the fact that we had a balcony however.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights as this was the location for a destination wedding we were attending. The pros: Value was good as we got a "wedding rate". The Cafe in the lobby was pleasant and the staff very accommodating. The location was good as the wedding was at the North Beach Plantation just a few minutes away, the beds and pillows were incredible. Best night's sleep!
The cons: Found the staff apethetic. The newly renovated room was done without any thought. For example, there is only ONE mirror in the room and bathroom. This mirror was over the sink. Therefore had to share it with my husband while he shaved and I tried to put on make-up. There was NO full length mirror in the room. If you wanted to use the room safe you literally had to get on the floor. The toilets were unusually LOW. Poorly lit (explain the metal square on the side of the closet that turned on the lights over the desk?) The sink faucet literally came off and my husband had to turn off the valves under the sink to stop the water. I do not know who designed this room, but their license should be revoked. Maybe this would be ok for a businessman traveling alone, but for a couple (or family) this just will not do.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank a5lson
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night here before checking into a condo for a week of golf. Typical Courtyard by Marriott and that is a good thing. Being an Elite member I stay in many Marriott hotels. This one was what I've come to expect. Efficient check in at the front desk, room was clean and seemed new or newly renovated, had a fridge and coffee maker in the room. Lobby, halls and elevator were clean and orderly. Outside the hotel was also clean.

There was a Fudruckers right in front of the hotel and a Mexican place next door.

Overall I would recommend this hotel.