“dirty”

Sands Beach Club Resort
Ranked #120 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I was very disappointed with this hotel. It was dirty. The day we checked in, the door locks did not work. We only stayed one night, and will never return.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed June 9, 2009

My family and I have been visiting Myrtle Beach every Independence Day for nearly two decades now and we have always stayed at the Sands Beach Club Resort. We love the family-friendly atmosphere and the helpful staff. The bar located inside the Sands Beach Club leaves alot to be desired, but the Sands Ocean Club, which is just a short walk away, has a nice outdoor beach bar (Ocean Annie's).

The rooms at the Sands Beach Club are always well-maintained and clean and the pool/jacuzzi area is always neat. There was an earlier reviewer that mentioned finding a bug in his room and suggested that the resort may have a bug problem on the first and second floors, but in all the twenty plus years that my family and I have stayed at this resort, we have yet to ever encounter a single bug and we usually stay on the first floor.

My family and I also visit Myrtle Beach around the Labor Day holiday and we usually try out different resorts during this time. However, the Sands Beach Club Resort is one of the places that we continue to look forward to visiting each and every year.

Reviewed January 28, 2009

I liked the room it was nice,but the tile floor was dangerous and the glass stuff that was sitting around. That is not good to have glass things sitting around with kids there. I also liked Sands Beach Club because of this one boy named (Terry)

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed at the Sands beach club July 23-27th 2008. Upon check-in the staff was very nice and accomodating. When we got to our room 721 it was not the most modern room you have ever been in. In the smaller bedroom one of the lights didn't work, the doors to the balcony wouldn't lock, one of the door handles were broken, the hairdryer didn't work, and the couches looked 100 years old.
The room was clean and i inspected the beds very well after finding a cock roach in the drawer by the bed. After calling the front desk they sent up someone who was awesome and killed the roach after letting the thing run around the room a few times. There weren't any other rooms available (not even at another motel) for us to move to but they were all very helpful and wanted to do everything they could to make sure we were happy. We ended up seeing 2 roaches in our 4 nights stay at the motel.

The breakfast buffet was very good and the staff was very friendly.
There were always people cleaning and mopping floors etc.

This hotel is ok if you are not going to be in the room that much. Someone on the staff told us that all the motels have bugs due to the environment. They have the most problems with bugs on the first and second floors. So if you have bug issues this is not the place for you.

I would stay here again, but it wouldn't be for longer than a few days. Also we received a nice discount by just asking when we made reservations so it doesn't hurt to ask when you call if they are running any specials.

Reviewed July 19, 2008

Nice clean room. Maid service daily. I really like having the safe in the room to lock up wallets and etc. before going down to the beach.We had the ocean front room. Staff was very friendly. Now for the bad part the elevators. One was stuck open the other were slow. There are elevators at the end of each floor and all were slow. I took the stairs was afraid of getting stuck.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My family and I have been coming to the beach club for many many years (25 in total now) and we love it. I have read almost all the reviews and hope I can shed some light onto your issues:

-If you book a timeshared condo (i.e. privately owned, may book through coldwell banker, etc), Sands DOES NOT provide maid service unless you request it and pay for it

-If you choose this type of accomodation, the rooms WILL vary from one to another, as they have been decorated according to the full time owner's tastes.

-Yes, the Ocean Club is more 'happening." But had you ever stayed there, you would know the rooms are sub-par, and Ocean Annie's beach bar music can be heard, through closed doors, until 1am.

-The kids club (Sandy the Seagull) which I participated in many many years ago is great, and they do excursions, etc. A great option for parents to get out for a round of golf. But yes, this is centrally located at the Ocean Club.

-Sands owns 5 properties. The amenties listed may be at other locations (i.e. the water park, golf, etc).

-The back building is A BUDGET ACCOMODATION. It is not meant, in any way, to be similar in accomodation type to the front building. If you look at www.sandsbeachclubresort.com, you could have seen the layouts and variation in price, and this would be your fault, not Sands.

-There have been bugs, mosquitos, and geckos from time to time. YOU ARE AT THE BEACH NEAR AN INLET, what do you expect?

Signed,
A Sands Beach Club Expert.

6  Thank Melbel811
Reviewed June 22, 2008

The website for the Sands Beach Resort is VERY MISLEADING! If you click on "amenities" while on the Beach website, it shows the water park, but we didn't find out until we were checking in that the waterpark is actually located 5 miles south at another Sands Resort -- this kind of FALSE ADVERTISING should be illegal!
Other complaints:
Rude staff at the front desk
TERRIBLE service at the onsite restaurant (we had 5 people eating lunch, and we were each served at separate times!)
THE WIRELESS DOES NOT WORK IN THE ROOMS!!!! When I was checking in, I inquired whether there was wireless throughout the bldg., Rude Employee James informed me that it didn't work very well above the 7th floor (we were on the 5th) and that if it didn't work, we could come to the lobby to use it (gee, thanks, James.)
Once in the room, we discovered that the icemaker was apparently not working. When my adult son called Rude Employee James to ask whether there was an ice machine available, James said, "It's in the freezer" -- duh! Did he think we were so stupid that we didn't look in there first? Then he told us to come down to the restaurant to get some (gee, thanks again James).
Then when we needed more than the 4 towels supplied, Rude Employee James informed us that housekeeping was no longer available, so we could ... you guessed it ... come downstairs and get it ourselves! Rude Employee James was so helpful, huh?
The unit itself was nicely decorated and relatively clean. But that didn't stop the ants from marching around the kitchen counters!
I don't know what was going on with one of the toilets, but it stopped flushing 3 times.
I had all of the above complaints ready to file when I was checking out, but Rude Employee Whatever didn't ask "how was your stay" ... so I told her anyway. She just looked at me blankly. No apologies.
I would strongly advise against staying at this place ... I never will again!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family