“It was "OK" but not fabulous”

Sands Beach Club Resort
Ranked #124 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
VA
“It was "OK" but not fabulous”
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed at the Sands beach club July 23-27th 2008. Upon check-in the staff was very nice and accomodating. When we got to our room 721 it was not the most modern room you have ever been in. In the smaller bedroom one of the lights didn't work, the doors to the balcony wouldn't lock, one of the door handles were broken, the hairdryer didn't work, and the couches looked 100 years old.
The room was clean and i inspected the beds very well after finding a cock roach in the drawer by the bed. After calling the front desk they sent up someone who was awesome and killed the roach after letting the thing run around the room a few times. There weren't any other rooms available (not even at another motel) for us to move to but they were all very helpful and wanted to do everything they could to make sure we were happy. We ended up seeing 2 roaches in our 4 nights stay at the motel.

The breakfast buffet was very good and the staff was very friendly.
There were always people cleaning and mopping floors etc.

This hotel is ok if you are not going to be in the room that much. Someone on the staff told us that all the motels have bugs due to the environment. They have the most problems with bugs on the first and second floors. So if you have bug issues this is not the place for you.

I would stay here again, but it wouldn't be for longer than a few days. Also we received a nice discount by just asking when we made reservations so it doesn't hurt to ask when you call if they are running any specials.

• Liked — I liked the location to the tanger outlet mall
  • Disliked — the roaches
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Nice clean room. Maid service daily. I really like having the safe in the room to lock up wallets and etc. before going down to the beach.We had the ocean front room. Staff was very friendly. Now for the bad part the elevators. One was stuck open the other were slow. There are elevators at the end of each floor and all were slow. I took the stairs was afraid of getting stuck.

Stayed November 2007
Southern California
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My family and I have been coming to the beach club for many many years (25 in total now) and we love it. I have read almost all the reviews and hope I can shed some light onto your issues:

-If you book a timeshared condo (i.e. privately owned, may book through coldwell banker, etc), Sands DOES NOT provide maid service unless you request it and pay for it

-If you choose this type of accomodation, the rooms WILL vary from one to another, as they have been decorated according to the full time owner's tastes.

-Yes, the Ocean Club is more 'happening." But had you ever stayed there, you would know the rooms are sub-par, and Ocean Annie's beach bar music can be heard, through closed doors, until 1am.

-The kids club (Sandy the Seagull) which I participated in many many years ago is great, and they do excursions, etc. A great option for parents to get out for a round of golf. But yes, this is centrally located at the Ocean Club.

-Sands owns 5 properties. The amenties listed may be at other locations (i.e. the water park, golf, etc).

-The back building is A BUDGET ACCOMODATION. It is not meant, in any way, to be similar in accomodation type to the front building. If you look at www.sandsbeachclubresort.com, you could have seen the layouts and variation in price, and this would be your fault, not Sands.

-There have been bugs, mosquitos, and geckos from time to time. YOU ARE AT THE BEACH NEAR AN INLET, what do you expect?

Signed,
A Sands Beach Club Expert.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank Melbel811
Southern Maryland
Reviewed June 22, 2008

The website for the Sands Beach Resort is VERY MISLEADING! If you click on "amenities" while on the Beach website, it shows the water park, but we didn't find out until we were checking in that the waterpark is actually located 5 miles south at another Sands Resort -- this kind of FALSE ADVERTISING should be illegal!
Other complaints:
Rude staff at the front desk
TERRIBLE service at the onsite restaurant (we had 5 people eating lunch, and we were each served at separate times!)
THE WIRELESS DOES NOT WORK IN THE ROOMS!!!! When I was checking in, I inquired whether there was wireless throughout the bldg., Rude Employee James informed me that it didn't work very well above the 7th floor (we were on the 5th) and that if it didn't work, we could come to the lobby to use it (gee, thanks, James.)
Once in the room, we discovered that the icemaker was apparently not working. When my adult son called Rude Employee James to ask whether there was an ice machine available, James said, "It's in the freezer" -- duh! Did he think we were so stupid that we didn't look in there first? Then he told us to come down to the restaurant to get some (gee, thanks again James).
Then when we needed more than the 4 towels supplied, Rude Employee James informed us that housekeeping was no longer available, so we could ... you guessed it ... come downstairs and get it ourselves! Rude Employee James was so helpful, huh?
The unit itself was nicely decorated and relatively clean. But that didn't stop the ants from marching around the kitchen counters!
I don't know what was going on with one of the toilets, but it stopped flushing 3 times.
I had all of the above complaints ready to file when I was checking out, but Rude Employee Whatever didn't ask "how was your stay" ... so I told her anyway. She just looked at me blankly. No apologies.
I would strongly advise against staying at this place ... I never will again!

• Liked — Nicely decorated and relatively clean condo
  • Disliked — Rude staff, misleading advertising on website
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Columbia, MD
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We are repeat customers. This is a family-friendly resort at a reasonable price. Our kids loved the irregularly shaped pool that snakes from the indoors to the outdoors. We enjoyed having the California Pizza place right on property. Tennis and basketball were another attraction. When the kids were little we stayed in the ocean view units and could keep an eye on them in the pool below from the balcony. They loved the kids club (free) and the daycare people worked hard to keep the kids entertained.
The location is excellent You are away from the crowded, cramped older areas of downtown. You're also cut off from a lot of beach foot traffic by the inlet, which also may be the single best place to play in the water in all Myrtle.
My main criticism is the restaurant which closes early and is not really worth patronizing. No great loss. Your unit has a kitchen and there are no end of restaurants in driving range.

• Liked — Large, quiet beach and swimming area
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
Southeastern US
Reviewed December 6, 2007

I have read where other people have written with problems when they booked the 1-bedroom condos. These are the oldest, not as well kept of
the 2 buildings. They are behind the oceanfront condos. We had a beautiful view of the marsh & ocean. My children enjoyed sitting on the balcony watching planes approach the airport over the ocean. The balcony was the perfect size for 2 people to sit and enjoy the picturesque scenery.

There were a few things that were more bothersome than problematic. We didn’t have power in either bedroom, bathroom or kitchen. The kitchen especially looked as if it hadn’t been cleaned in years. We spent several hours disinfecting. The bathrooms needed a lot of work too. In case you haven't stayed in a rental this isn't a problem unique to this property. I have found most condos need to be cleaned at check in. My children missed a day of swimming because the indoor pool was dirty. The elevator left a lot to be desired. It was slow, loud, jerky, old and scared my children.

I had been a little concerned because of prior reviews discussing the Front Desk staff’s lack of concern when problems were addressed. Everyone we spoke to went far beyond the call of duty to help us. Maintenance was extremely obliging. They worked swiftly to fix the lighting problems. I can’t say enough about the wonderful Customer Service we received. All complaints were remedied in a timely manner.
I would grade their efforts an A+.

The biggest plus was that even though they were working at full capacity there was little noise. We were never disturbed by racket from the surrounding units. I think the layout helps in cutting down on noise. I never heard voices or footsteps except for children playing in the halls. It was much better than hotels where you can hear every breath the people around you take.

I would absolutely stay at the Sands Beach Club Resort again. Hopefully, in the same area of the building. The office and 2 bedroom units were in a much nicer building. But I think the view, quietness, and cost make the smaller building worth renting again. The rental fees were low so we knew we weren't getting 4 star luxuries prior to checking in. Just don’t rent expecting perfection and you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Views. Property Staff.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Sight_2_C2007
PA
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We stayed at the Sands Beach Club from 8/24 thru 8/28.
Our room was #917 - located in the ocean front building. The room had everything we needed and was clean. Everything worked from the TV to the hair dryer in the bathroom to the dishwasher in the kitchen. The maid service cleaned the room every day and replaced all linen. The 2 employees we were in contact with at the front desk were efficient and friendly. The only thing that was slightly unpleasant was the odor in the elevators. But they were trying to correct this with a cinnamon room deodizer/atomizer. But with so many people using them, with wet feet/bathing suits/etc.... it would be difficult to keep them sweet smelling. The location of the room was great. The beach was clean
We will stay at this resort in the future.

• Liked — It was spacious and clean. Had everything we needed.
  • Disliked — There was nothing we disliked.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family