“What happened to this place”

Sands Beach Club Resort
Ranked #107 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Bedford, Indiana
“What happened to this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Was here 2 years ago and everything was great. Now went again this year, the week before memorial day and everything was horrible. Our room was better than what most people have said on here and everything worked fine, but room service could have been a lot better. They came by to see if we needed anything the second day of our visit and didn't return again until the day before we were leaving. We could tell the condos needed work badly, plus there wasn't hardly any people staying there. The parking lot was pretty empty which it wasn't that way last time. Definitely will be looking for a new place to stay night time I return to Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank brinie2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

My family and I travelled to Myrtle Beach every year for about two decades, and this is the place where we always stayed. It was affordable, had a wonderful view of the ocean, had a pier not too far away from it, and an inlet nearby. The beach itself is definitely pretty, and it’s fun to play around in the water. The beach isn’t crowded at all, so you can expect a relaxing stay without having to keep your eyes on your kids every single second. There’s a nice pool downstairs; part of it’s inside, part of it outside—no lifeguard. There’s also a hot tub that isn’t too hot but still soothing.

However, the hotel itself is no longer anything to brag about. Every year, my dad would request a corner room to get a good view of the inlet. For a while, they always complied with his request. But in later years, they would tell him, “Yes, we’ll get you a corner room!” but then give us something else. This always led to a frustrating beginning to our vacations since he had to argue with the management about keeping promises to long-time patrons.

The rooms themselves have sometimes been horrible. Not long ago, we had a refrigerator that wasn’t working, so we had to get tons of ice and put our food in coolers—not a fun thing to do on vacation. We’ve occasionally seen furniture cushions missing, and the sliding doors leading to the balconies are sometimes tough to get working. The beds are almost always uncomfortable. On a similar note, getting the card key to open your door to the room can sometimes be tricky. In short, expect various parts of your room not to work, and expect to make at least one call to the front desk about it.

There are other flaws, too. Some of the rooms show great wear and tear in cosmetics, such as peeling or chipping paint. I’m also not a fan of how, if you have a room whose door leads to a hallway inside the building, you can expect lots of noise as people push luggage carts around. The tiled floors make the wheels incredibly noisy, which is lovely when you’re trying to sleep. Also, the Wi-Fi is ridiculously slow (when it’s actually working). One year, it took nearly an hour just to fully load a seven-minute YouTube video in standard definition. At home, that only takes me a minute or two.

As for the beach itself, the amount of litter seems to have increased as years have gone by. Definitely watch out for broken bottles near the inlet. I should also warn you that the lifeguards can be annoying. Some years, they constantly blow their whistle at me and my dad to tell us to come in closer to the shore—even if we’re not beyond where the waves are breaking! We sometimes had to ignore them. It’s especially irritating if there are surfers out much farther than we are. (By the way, the waves here don’t break in such a way that they’re good to surf on.) On the other hand, the lifeguards sometimes spend their days texting, totally ignoring people. And some of them no speak English good. Keep an eye out for jellyfish and manta rays in the water; usually, they aren’t too bad, but there are some years when they’ve been everywhere.

The nearby Apache Pier costs money to walk on, which is a shame since there’s nothing but poor musical entertainment and fishing.

Don’t get me wrong: the club’s a livable place. After a rough first day, everything tended to be in working order. And in spite of the beach’s flaws, we’ve enjoyed ourselves there. It’s just that there are probably better hotels out there, perhaps right nearby.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room on the side of the building closest to the inlet: that way, you can see it...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AmuRima
Millersport, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for a week in room 617, the place is showing its age. Some of the windows have broken seals and are difficult to see through, the drapes are in very bad condition, all of the cabinets show signs of wear, the beds are not comfortable, missed matched dishes and flatware, and an overall grungy appearance. The one good point...it was functional and it had a great view of the ocean

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrG43046

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Urbana, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at the sands beach club, condo. The room # was 517, it was terrible. They r very dated. We had 4 people in our room and had to take cold showers 4 out of the 7 days we were there. The worst part though was the sliding doors in the room above us. Every time they were opened and closed, it sounded like rolling thunder in our room. We called to report the problem and was told it would be taken care of. It wasn't and no one ever came to our room to check on us. Also the beds were only full size(never had that before). I will never go back! They should be ashamed to take hard earned vacation money. Hopefully people will see this and not be taken like we were!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank drupert
Goose Creek, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I arrived at the resort at 3:54pm and left at 10:33pm on the same date. The ocean view is the second best I have ever seen however the rooms were problematic.
When we arrived in room 1118 we were greated by two dead roaches and a strong chemical odor. Two hours in the room as we walked on the carpet the green carpet started to look black. We called the front desk and the Manager was not available but his wife was covering for him. (hmmm) but she offered us another room. Room 519 was missing carpet in the living area (very stained carpet pad) but was much cleaner and did not have the chemical smell. We turned on the water to take a shower and we got rust colored water. Maintenance came to the room and suggested we run the water for two hours. Two hours later the water was still rust colored. This rust colored water also came from the kitchen faucets as well. We were then asked to inspect 315 and this room had the original carpet issue from our first room. We got a refund and could not find another resort in Myrtle Beach. We drove back to Charleston with a crying five year old in the car. I believe we would have been better off in Hotel 6. We were informed by the staff that 1118 leaked for months and may be filled with mold. The maintenance staff infomed us they did not know how maintenance was done at the Beach Club resort because most of the other rooms were time shares which are taken care of by another company and the Beach Club in not a priority of the sands. DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT. I REPEAT DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this resort. I am calling DHEC regarding the mold and pest issue Monday morning
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Travelerbeaches
Monroe, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Loved the room with the ocean view. Will be staying there again. Beach wasn't crowded at all. Which was good. Would have loved to had washer/dryer in the room but could deal without it. Staff was very friendly. Kids loved it. Close to shopping and attractions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

First off, I have only written ONE bad review of anyplace that I have stayed. I am easily pleased with accommodations as long as rooms are livable. I normally stay at the Sands Ocean Dunes Resort in the 2-bedroom villa. I LOVE those rooms and recommend them to everyone.

My fiance' and I wanted to go to the beach for a couple of nights for Valentines Day. We wanted to mostly go shopping and enjoy dinner at Chuck's Steakhouse (also HIGHLY recommended) so we booked a place closer to N. Myrtle Beach (Sands Beach Club). We arrived at the hotel around 5pm Friday Feb. 15, 2012. We walked around for about 5 mins looking for the office. Once we found the office there was a sign telling us we had to go to Sands Ocean Club (about 2 blocks up the road) to get the room. When we entered the room we were okay with it. It had a decent bedroom and another tiny bedroom and 2 bathrooms. it was nowhere near as spacious as we are use to but it was fine for a couple of nights. At this point our trip was going just fine. After we settled in the room we started getting ready to go out to dinner. We each used a bathroom to shower and get ready. The next thing you know I smell an AWFUL odor. I knew I had smelled the odor before but couldn't think of it. As the whole room filled with this retched smell it came to me....IT WAS SULFUR. I mean it was STRONG too. My first thought was to let the water run and maybe the sulfur would filter out. Well, it did not. The smell in the room was so awful that I was literally gagging with every breath. So I call the front desk. I was told that the person that authorizes room changes would not be in until the next morning. We had to get ready for dinner so we cleaned up the best we could and went to eat. The next morning the front desk gave us the run around for 3 hours before they would offer us a different room. This is not tolerable! I will NEVER go back to this resort and suggest you take my advice.....unless you do not like to bathe on your vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple