“Decent Place”

Ranked #11 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Albany, New York
“Decent Place”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed here with a family member who has a timeshare through Sheraton Broadway Plantation. There were 9 adults and three babies in three different units. My husband and I had our own one bedroom lock-off unit adjacent to my sister in laws bigger unit. We were in one of the newer buildings and the rooms were nice and very clean.

I only have a couple of complaints, first being that our unit smelled like cigarettes. The units are supposed to be non-smoking but clearly someone had smoked in there. We called housekeeping and they came with a can of spray that smelled like bubble gum. After they left I looked at the can and it was actually something you were supposed to set off and then not enter the room before airing it out. I wasn't too happy about now breathing in those chemicals in addition to the smoke smell. But I guess they get points for trying to address the problem.
Another thing I took issue with was the noise from the unit above. You could clearly hear whoever was up there walking around and opening and closing dresser drawers. As someone who enjoys the quiet I found this to be annoying.
But overall the resort is clean and the people were friendly. There were a lot of people at the pool but it didn't seem crowded. Neither me or my husband were pressured into attending a timeshare presentation but other family members with us did go to get free tickets. It ended up taking a lot of their time so I don't think it was worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Overall, this is not a bad resort. Rooms in building 7 needs upgrading. Felt like I was at my grandmother's house in Florida during the Golden Girls era. This resort is close to everything around so that is a good part. The bad part is that the areta is very crowded since there is only 1 main pool and 2 kiddie pools.

Now, if you are an owner with Starwood, this is where the annoying part begins. The will give you free or reduce price tickets so you can attend their presentation on the pretenses of "reviewing your ownership benefits and going over the upgrades that's occurred in Starwood." After telling them numerous times at least 6x in total, the sales person would keep coming back to you telling you that they have a better offer and that they have never offered rates like this or given that away in history anymore. My sales rep even went as far as telling me "what's $150 a month? You live in NY and if I don't go out to eat 2x a month, I can make this payment!" Are you insane? After telling him no 6x, they tried one last approach to lock in your rates for 2 yrs for $119 a month until you can afford it and if I decide not to buy after 2 years, they can convert all the money to points I can use in a hotel. Yea, they pulled everything short or giving me his grandchild to try to make me buy a bigger unit such as my teenager is getting older and you will go on vacation more when's he's off to college, don't you want to lock in your rates now? I'm thinking to myself, don't you get it, when they go off to college, they wouldn't want to go on vacation with you anyways, so I won't need any additional space or weeks? Leave me alone when I tell you no!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Czarina2083
scotland
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We recently spent a week at Sheraton Broadway Plantation. We stayed in a privately rented Premium One-Bedroom villa (my husband, two sons aged 4 and 2 and I).We were so impressed with this resort as it met all the needs of our family.

The accommodation was excellent- a spacious villa with fully equipped kitchen, dining area and living area. It also had a large bedrrom with an extremely comfortable king size bed, whirlpool bath and dressing area and a separate bathroom. Small things such as having a washer and dryer within the villa made a huge difference when travelling with young children. We stayed in Building 13 which overlooked one of several lakes within the complex.

The amenities on the complex were also great. There were several swimming pools (indoor, outdoor, children's splash pool and a lazy river).... but what really excited my children was 'Splash Cove', which was a children's fun pool with slides, fountains, climbing nets etc. They happily played in this everyday for a week!!

There was also an adventure playground, volleyball court, basketball court, tennis courts, crazy golf, fitness centre and a games room. All equipment was provided free of charge to guests. These activities also kept my children amused for endless hours!!

There was also a comprehensive activities programme with lots of events organised ranging from day trips to local towns to cinema nights to hair braiding to Guitar Hero competitions to watermelon seed spitting competitions. There really was somehting for everyone.

Location was also a major plus of this resort. It was a 5 minute walk away from 'Broadway at the Beach', which is an entertainment area with endless restaurants, shops, bars, clubs and other activities such as crazy golf, cinema, zip slide, inflatables, fairgrounds. We spent nearly every night here. The beach was a short drive away- you probably could walk it in about 15 minutes but we tended to take the car, having young children.

The only slight 'negative' would be that the gift shop could be slightly better stocked with necessities such as basic foods, washing powder etc, however, this is me just being picky as there is a large supermarket a 2 minute drive away.

I can't recommend this resort enough, particularly if you are travelling with family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank lumpyloo
Michigan
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed in building 3 and had no problems - This is one of the older buildings but very clean and no problems what so ever. We love this resort and if you want to stay in the newer buildings just make sure when you book to do so. So much to do here and away from the crowds but so close to everything you could want to do. I highly recommend this resort

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ma1723
Stafford
Reviewed May 31, 2010

This was our first visit to Myrtle Beach, and I do feel that it will not be our last. We never go back to the same place as there is so much to see in the world, but we enjoyed it so much. The Sheraton is ideally situated for everything, not too far to walk over to Broadway, and nicely situated for driving to the other attractions and places to see. The staff at the bar were great and made you feel so welcome, so thanks to Jason, Keith and Misty. The room was lovely and overlooked a lake with a fountain, it was always lovely and quiet so you could enjoy sitting on your balcony. There are plenty of facilities on site for the whole family to enjoy here too e.g. pitch and putt, and a lovely swimming pool. We would definately go again even though it was a long journey, it was well worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Titusville, New Jersey
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I am always a little skeptical about the pictures of hotels you find online, but this was a great place. It is about a mile off the beach, but if you want to drive it is close to the free parking area.

The room was great, it was very large, nice kitchen, laundry, comfortable bed and large bathroom. The balcony was screened in and great for outdoor dining. The pool area was very nice with a comfortable lazy river. Lots of activities for kids with a great waterpark like area. There was even a small miniature golf area.

Myrtle Beach is a great destination, this was our first time and we had a blast. We found come excellent food, the beach was very clean and nice, and the weather cooperated.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Jersey Shore
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We booked through Interval International timeshare, and loved our room. We shared a unit with a king sized bed, full kitchen and laundry facilities and a screened in patio. The place was immaculate. While we were there crews were upgrading the landscaping; cleaning crews were everywhere, even vacuuming the ceilings of the outdoor "hallways". We had plenty of clean towels. The pools were fantastic; we were there 6out 7 days. The snack bar poolside actually had some healthy eating choices. The guest services people were helpful in booking tickets for local shows and coming up with some interesting ideas. We took a day trip to Charleston, and a helicopter ride over Myrtle Beach. I enjoyed it so much I want to go again next spring; I'll book the Jeep tour of the low country, visit the sculpture gardens and drive up to Calabash for some seafood. The ONLY complaint I could find with this resort was that the king sized bed did not have a fitted bottom sheet. No big deal.

• Stayed May 2010