“Great stay, great service”

Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach
Ranked #1 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Great stay, great service”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We are locals, but try to do a staycation or two over the winter months to help out the local businesses and enjoy our beautiful area. The hotel was remodeling their lobby, but it was not a big problem, everything was still clean and the service was what we expect from a Hampton Inn. We didn't care for the first room we were given, location only reason, and asked if we could be moved to the lake view side, which they readily agreed to. It was a very cold weekend we were there, but we enjoyed the hot tub, sauna, heated pool and exercise room. Having a boadwalk over to Broadway at the Beach was great, we stepped out for a little nightlife and was able to walk back to our room with no problems. The breakfast could have been better, the hot selection wasn't all that tasty or warm. The waffles as always were available, but could have used some kind of protein to go with them, like bacon, sausage links or such. Every staff member we came in contact with were friendly and always asking if we needed anything. Will do a staycation there again for sure. My only complaint would be that we felt like our business was not important to the general manger because everytime we called to try to book a room with a certificate we purchased at a silent auction, I felt like he was more interested in waiting to see if he got a sellout before committing us a room. I called ahead of time twice and found out rooms that our certificate was for were available, but was told by him they were not. I finally got a room when I spoke with a young lady at the front desk because he was busy overseeing something in the remodel. We paid for the certificate, in fact more than the actual stay would have cost us because it was a fundraiser, so I don't know what the problem seemed to be, it's not like they were free.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lakeside have a wonderful view, the other side is the parking lot
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen T
MichaelMyrtleBeach, General Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

I do apologize that a room was not available for your early requested dates. I am happy the guest service representative and I were able to secure a date. I will be sure to share your comments with my staff. I am sorry that the breakfast was not to your liking. My breakfast team and I will be sure to work on your suggestions.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor and we look forward to your next visit to the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach.

Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Mechanicsville Virginia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway at the Beach and were pleasantly surprised. If you travel to Myrtle Beach, and are looking for something to do in the evening, you must go to Broadway at the Beach. There is everything from speed boad rides to Maragreittville, to great reasturants, shops, etc. The hotel is right on the lake which is in the heart of the activities. Very clean, and you can walk to the hotel after you have had a few drinks at Jimmy Buffets place. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Ask for the lake view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael L
MichaelMyrtleBeach, Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest and sharing your thoughts of the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments regarding Broadway at the Beach and the staff at the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach. I really appreciate your feedback regarding the friendliness of staff and hotel cleanliness.

Sherrills Ford, North Carolina
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel December 30th and 31st and it is really nice.Very clean rooms and the Hotel staff were super helpful and went out of their way with everything they did.Nice breakfast served every morning,coffee and tea available all day and night,and fresh baked cookies put out in the afternoon,all complimentary.The location is great especially if you plan to spend alot of time out on the property enjoying all the sights and games ,rides and restaurants,out the back door of the hotel and you are right in the middle of everything.Nice Fridge and small microwave in the room and ice close by on every floor.The hotel was pretty full for the New Years celebrations so for ice we had to go to the next floor up or down but no problem for us..We will be back here for next New Years party!!

Room Tip: We don't believe there is a bad room in the place.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MichaelMyrtleBeach, General Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest and sharing your thoughts of the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments regarding Broadway at the Beach and the staff at the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach. I really appreciate your feedback regarding the bed comfort, and breakfast.

Stanley, North Carolina
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel was great. We decided we wanted to visit the beach around Christmas to see some of the holiday shows and thought this would be a great location to stay. It was! We really enjoyed staying on the Broadway at the Beach grounds with easy access to everything. My 5 year old daughter loved all the rides right beside the hotel. We got to walk around and shop, visit some attractions, see a movie and lots of other neat stuff without having to drive anywhere. The indoor pool and hot tub were great after a long day of walking. The beds were comfortable and the room was nice and clean. We were on the 7th floor with a view of the lake which was nice.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room on a high floor. You'll have a great view of Broadway on the Beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MichaelMyrtleBeach, Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest and sharing your thoughts of the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments regarding Broadway at the Beach and the staff at the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach. I really appreciate your feedback regarding Broadway at the beach, indoor pool/spa and guest room cleanliness. Broadway has a lot to offer and I am happy you enjoyed your visit.

Newcastle, Ontario
Reviewed November 23, 2012

There were renovations going on when we arrived so check-in was located in a second floor office. We were a little concerned. The staff made the most of the situation and had all the check-in paperwork, including room keys, prepared before we arrived. We were warmly greeted and quickly checked in. The room was excellent. We enjoyed walking around Broadway at the Beach and had a fun dinner at Jimmy Buffett's. The bed was amazing and the duvet felt just like the one we have at home. The breakfast area was huge, bright and almost completed. There was a great selection including hot oatmeal and do-it-yourself waffles (which have become pretty common these days but I still like them). The breakfast attendant was very friendly and we had a great chat before getting back on the road. This was our favourite hotel on our 10-day road trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MichaelMyrtleBeach, Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest and sharing your thoughts of the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments regarding Broadway at the Beach and the staff at the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach. I really appreciate your feedback regarding your check in process, the bed comfort, and breakfast. Glad to hear we were your favorite hotel on your 10 day trip!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were unaware that the hotel was undergoing renovations for the week and wished that we had been advised prior to booking, as we would have stayed elsewhere. The breakfast area was torn up and there were piles of cement bags and construction tools occupying the hallway and common areas. The "common area" itself was unavailable due to the construction which meant we had to either stay in the room or go to one of the nearby bars to visit with friends and family (with our 6 and 9 year-old kids). In addition, the fire alarm went off one night because of the dust from the construction, at least that was the explanation given to us.

The only selling point of this hotel is that it is connected to Broadway @ the Beach boardwalk system. Don't be fooled though, the property is no where near the beach. There is a pool on site, but the only other kids activities are on the boardwalk system, not in the hotel itself.

The rooms seemed to have good sound proofing and we never heard any neighbors during our stay. We had to change rooms upon arrival because the carpet was wet from the A/C - and we lost our room with a view, and now stared at the parking lot and a generator.

The complimentary breakfast was one step up from "American continental" and the food is pretty bad (powered eggs, soggy home fries, bland muffins, etc.). The only thing that earned this property a 2, and not a 1, was the staff. They were incredibly friendly and helpful. This is the fourth booking of a Hampton Inn and will probably be the last time. There are plenty of other hotel chains that are a better value for the cost.

As a Hilton member I am surprised that the Hilton would allow this chain to operate as part of the "Hilton Family".

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the boardwalk on a high floor, that has the best view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank khoward67
MichaelMyrtleBeach, General Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry for the inconveniences that you and your family endured while staying with us.

As you stated we are undergoing renovations, and we thank all of our guests for their patience during this process. However, I understand that you were disappointed with your breakfast and we will review our offerings, keeping your comments in mind. We hope you will visit us in the future as we would love another chance at providing an exceptional hotel stay for you.

Lebanon, PA
Reviewed October 23, 2012

When you pull-up to the hotel, you are struck by its exterior beauty - definitely not your average Hampton Inn. It has an almost Spanish-style architecture and the location at Broadway at the Beach is absolutely perfect. This, however, is where my positive impression ended.

After check in, the front desk tells you to drive around the back since the lobby is on the 2nd floor. The 1st floor entrance is rather unwelcoming; with a room with way too many brochures, a strong smell from the pool and overall lack of attention to detail as far as cleaning goes. The elevators were horribly slow and were intermittently working throughout our stay.

Our room was dated, aged and definitely not properly maintained. There was a faded spot on my sheet (you can tell it had indeed been washed, but stains like that should go to the rag pile) and the furniture needed some attention with some touch-up markers. There were some odd stains on the ceiling and the carpet was almost threadbare. The bathroom had only one roll of toilet paper (there were two holders, one had just the cardboard roll) and you can tell that just the basics were done without attention to detail. If you are the kind of traveler that is aware of their surroundings, you will be able to see where they fall short on cleanliness without looking too far.

When we got back at 2pm our room had not been cleaned and the housekeeper, who had been at the other end of the hall, was already past our room. When I asked her if we would receive service, she replied (rather loud and defensively) "I'l get there, I am doing a stay over right now, I have a list, I didn't skip you!" Um, ok.

Now on to the pool. Located on the first floor, it has some nice windows overlooking Broadway at the Beach and the shops there. Even so, the feeling like you are in a basement prevails. It is dark and dingy, and oh my, when we got a look at the pool we were afraid to enter it. So, so cloudy and obviously in need of some chemical treatment. The hot tub is a nice touch - BUT - there was some kind of foamy mess in the middle of it, and the foam was full of dirt or something (my niece nicknamed it the "fuzzy monster") - horrible! We didn't dare enter. And the so-called sauna needs to be taken out, it is really bad. Doesn't heat up, exposed wire of some sort stuck to the wall, and just really run down looking. This could be a really nice area but again, not well maintained.

More service opportunities: when we asked for bananas at breakfast, the hostess replied "In a minute" - my niece wound up getting them when they were put out (without us noticing.) The next day as we were getting on the elevators, the hostess put her arms IN FRONT OF THE ELEVATOR DOOR to stop it from closing and said "You wanted bananas yesterday? I came to give them to you but you already left!" Eew, that made us feel like criminals, we got our own bananas thank you very much- she was trying to "prove" something but we really did not need that, it felt almost creepy.

The only saving grace as far as service was Desmond at the front desk. I hope he gets to do some training so others can follow this lead. He was prompt and friendly with every request.

Although the location can't be beat, I would be willing to drive a little farther to find a cleaner and better service-oriented hotel. I am actually surprised by the positive reviews. I don't necessarily need a "beach" hotel, but there are much nicer places to stay in Myrtle Beach!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mouseturtle
MichaelMyrtleBeach, General Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We will work with both our maintenance and housekeeping teams to ensure that we make the appropriate changes. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you and your family endured. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements