“Great for business travel”

Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach
Ranked #1 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Charleston, SC
“Great for business travel”
Reviewed January 19, 2008

I stay here frequently for business travel and really enjoy it. Clean, comfortable, reasonable amenities. My favorite is having everything at the doorstep, i.e. shopping, restaurants. As a woman traveling often for business, I hate driving around strange cities at night looking for places to eat or shop and worse still, park. Walking through BATB in the evening is safe and enjoyable.

I have to agree though, the rooms are definitely showing wear - reminds me of high traffic places like Disney World or any hotel in Atlanta right after the Olympics.

But the staff is great, easy check-in, breakfast is great, location is great, and rooms are clean and comfortable so I'm rating it above average anyway.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs more frequent updates - rooms are worn
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed October 5, 2007

Had 7th floor 1 King Suite with balcony and great view of Broadway at the Beach, which is right out the back door. $174/nite. (We left after one night of a 3-nite reservation.)

Pricey, but my idea was, we could walk to everything at BATB. Which is true...if it isn't rainy, hot and humid. :-) While there, we noticed there's plenty of public parking for BATB, so we could have easily stayed at a nearby hotel for a lot less, and just driven over.

The hotel looks nice from the outside.

Room decor had a tropical flavor. King bed was a SMALL king bed. Comfortable, but not that large. Bathroom clean, says the missus, and she would know. Huge Jacuzzi -- enormous, which makes the shower tiny, a bit larger than Autotrain size. If you're chubby, this is not the shower for you.

Our room had a slight smell (cleaning materials?) and surfaces had a slightly oily feel to me. Our room was right next to the elevator shaft, and the landing area is tiled, not carpeted. So you heard every cleaning cart and luggage dolly going by.

Oh, and in the morning, the cleaning crew kept knocking on our door -- 3 times -- before 11. Apparently, our Do Not Disturb sign on the door meant nothing to them. Tiresome.

The entire hotel seemed a bit worn and hard-used to me. Really needs freshening. Furniture banged up some. TV controller very hard to use--tiny, tiny buttons. Annoying.

Our room was large, but not a suite. Carpeting was rippled. Maybe the humidity is the problem. Myrtle has a hot, humid climate. Tough environment for hotels in general. And the staff seemed to work hard at keeping the common areas clean; maintenance staff was cloroxing the tile floors in the lobby areas while we were there. Whew! Strong stuff, but no doubt necessary.

Maybe that forced all the bugs on the ground floor to travel UP to higher floors, like our 7th floor room -- where my wife woke me up at 3:00 am to kill a HUGE (to me anyway, and I've lived in South Florida, so I know what a Palmetto bug is :-) roach in the doorway to the bathroom. The boss was unhappy, let me tell you. And those suckers are hard to kill. I clobbered it with a heavy book, and parts of it were still alive when I scraped it off a few minutes later.

Not sure where it came from or how it got in. The room was clean and we didn't have any food laying out.

LIke I said, the hotel looks nice from the outside, but it badly needs updating.

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank Laelius
Henderson, NV
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Literally on the Broadway @ The Beach mall. Margarittaville is right outside the back door.

I'm staying here again. No problems at all.

• Liked — Great location.
  • Disliked — Hornets nests on hotel exterior.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank FastPass
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 6, 2007

I booked this hotel because I read Tripadvisor. I thought the reviews were too good to be true. But alas, they were not. The hotel was extremely clean. Believe me I checked everything. I am very picky. Carpets were clean, the bathroom was modern. The beds were so comfortable. For a family of five the breakfast was fabulous. And they keep putting food out until it is over. Great for families you are right next to amusements for kids, the adults can have a cocktail and walk back to the hotel. Oh and those cookies are to die for. We will definitely go again. I will look on my future travels to stay at a Hampton Inn. Also this is the first time I used Tripadvisor and I am forever grateful.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Front desk took there time to wait on you even if you were only one in line.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank BuffyNc
Charlotte
Reviewed August 30, 2007

If you would like to smoke in your room, be advised you will be on the ground floor of this hotel, and not able to have a "partial lake view" as advertised on their website. This was bought to the manager's attention and they might have changed it by now. On the ground floor you see the parking lot or the pool. I had just come from the Hampton Inn in Columbia - which is really nice - and this comparatively speaking was a dump. The rooms, while clean, had an ambience of a cheap motel. For a few dollars more - you can probably find much better elsewhere.

Stayed August 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 29, 2007

We stayed here over the weekend. I booked this hotel based on reviews that were posted on Trip Advisor and I'm glad I went with the reviews and booked my stay. I'll list the Pros and Cons below, but would rate this a three-star hotel since I've stayed at better hotels. This is the hotel I will stay at whenever I visit Myrtle Beach; you're in the middle of everything and it's an overall nice hotel.

Pros: Check-in was a breeze. Was able to check in early w/an extra roll-a-way bed and a view of the Boardwalk and Pool... nice view especially at night. The staff was always courteous. This hotel is clean and I'm serious when I say that being a very picky person when staying at hotels. Our room was clean; the bathroom was clean. Fresh towels and washcloths at all times meaning didn't have to ask for them. Beds were very comfortable, not too soft and not hard; comfy, so were the pillows. Outdoor Pool was very nice and clean; chairs also comfortable. No shortage of towels. We didn't use the indoor pool but peaking my head inside it looked nice and clean as well; so did the hot tub, and they both stay open pretty late, till midnight if I'm not mistaken. Easy access to The Boardwalk from the pool area. You are within walking distance to EVERYTHING on the Boardwalk. Within driving distance to Barefoot Landing and the Beaches about 10-15 minutes down the road. There is an abundance of restaurants... hard to choose where to eat. We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't tell you how their continental breakfast rates. There are snack/soda/ice machine on the floors.

Cons: We had a remote control for the TV but the volume wouldn't go up; could hardly hear the TV. They do supply a cart w/coffee and coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator, but the refrigerator did not keep our beverages cold; warm to the taste throughout stay.

A little advice: If you're going to dine at Margaritaville on a Saturday, make reservations way ahead of time. We went at 6:00 and it was a three and a half/four hour wait. Had my heart set on going to Margaritaville but the wait was too long, a lot of people turned away. Wound up at Joe's Crabshack which has good food and drinks. The wait there was an hour; no problem.

Stop at the visitor's center, any visitor's center, and pick up a coupon book. USE YOUR COUPON BOOK! I had 3 of them and I kept forgetting I had them missing out on quite a few deals while shopping, eating, etc., but it's okay as the prices are pretty reasonable if not dirt cheap.

We touched down on North Myrtle Beach which we were told was the better part of the beach, not too crowded, which she was right. Found parking with no problem and easy access to the beach. Beach was very clean.

• Liked — Easy access to entertainment, shopping, restaurants
  • Disliked — Fridge could have worked better...
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank moniquec68
North Carolina
Reviewed May 14, 2007

This Hotel is steps away from Broadway at the Beach and Margaritaville! The hotel itself is very clean and the rooms are nice, the beds are really comfortable. The Hampton is in a better location than Fairfield and the Holiday Inn, those two hotels you have to walk to get to Broadway at the Beach. The Hampton Inn also catered to bikers. We were there during Bike week and they had an area out front roped off for bike parking! They even provided clean towels to wipe your bike down in the morning. I would stay at this hotel again in the future...Oh, great breakfast too!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple