Bluegreen Vacations Harbour Lights, Ascend Resort Collection
Ranked #45 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
kingsport
“great place”
Reviewed January 17, 2009

I was skeptical about this place....i bought the stay from someone who was selling a vacation online. i thought, there's no way this place can be too great for the price i paid....

i was wrong! although it wasn't right on the beach.....it was a great place to stay. for the price i paid, i couldn't ask for more. when i was driving up, it reminded me of an apartment complex, or condos. it looked like a little community...

the room i stayed in was kind of small (again, i didn't pay much) ....but that didn't matter to me. i basically wanted a place to shower and sleep.....i was more concerned with being at the beach! i had to drive about 5 miles to get to the beach/restaurants/etc. but it was well worth it. the money i saved by staying at harbour lights instead of a hotel RIGHT on the beach was insane. the resort has a homey feel......there was indoor pool/outdoor pool....washing machines!

if your main concern is luxury while you're in the room....then i wouldn't suggest this place. if your main concern is having fun at the beach and having a nice, clean place to go back to...wash your clothes...and sleep...this IS the place. you can't get a "roach motel" for the price of this place. i've already purchased another vacation this year....i can't wait to go back.

• Liked — clean and safe.....very affordable!
  • Disliked — not right on the beach.....but it was kind of nice....felt like
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
birdii
Reviewed December 29, 2008

When my husband checked us in we didn't get an warm welcomedfrom the front desk nor did she give us our welcome package.We shooked that off and went on with our stay. Our 2 bedroom villa was spacious and very clean and well stocked. We had a water front view and it was some view. Across the water were huge houses that were beautifully decorated for Christmas. The weather was awesome in the 70s and 80s at times. There was 5 of us and we had an wonderful time I really did enjoy spending time with my family including my mother whom is 70 years young. She really did enjoy herself. For Christmas Eve we all went to Ripleys Aquarium and to Captain Georges for dinner. After that we went to Walmart for some last minute shopping. My only compaint is that everything around the resort is closed up you have to drive to everything. Other than that it was great and will visit there again next year.

• Liked — The water views
  • Disliked — some unit don't have elevators
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed September 25, 2008

My husband and our two little boys stayed at harbour lights for a few days. The accommodations were nice. We had a one bedroom which was nicely decorated.

The location was out of the way from the beach and noticed that this was not just owners staying there but used for showing others the resort. So in otherwords very congested with in and out traffic.

There is an indoor and outdoor pool and the rooms have a living room, dining room, kitchen and a really big bathroom as well as washing machines and dryer (free equipped with free detergent)

Again this is a nice resort but due to the heavy traffic and location I probably would not stay again.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — location and traffic in and out
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Central North Carolina
Reviewed September 11, 2008

Suites were clean and in good repair. The only real issue we had was a complete lack of hot water on the first night. It was barely lukewarm and we didn't notice until we returned to our room late at night and my wife decided she wanted to soak in the garden tub. We notified the desk in the morning and it was corrected when we returned in the evening. Other than this, we had no problems.

It was nice enough, but fairly unremarkable. We spent most of our trip shopping so I am unable to evaluate any of the resort features such as the pool.

Stayed January 2008
va
Reviewed August 29, 2008

First day was little rocky, check in was super easy, they called me around 1:30 to let me know my room was ready early. We checked in ,7 of us in all, myself, husband, my parents, our 15,13, and 8 year old. We stayed in a 2 bedroom lockoff unit.

When we first got there,,,well our bathroom floor was dirty and the kitchen floor was kinda sticky so we called the front desk and within 10 minutes someone was there to clean it, not only did the clean the floors but also recleaned the showers and comodes.

Liked the fact they had a checkoff list for you to check and make sure everything was in your condo if not you take the list to front desk , they will replace missing items if you want....but this way they dont charge you for the missing items.

well about 1:30 am.....our phone rings wanting to know if our bathorrom was flooding....and no it wasnt but the room below us was getting wet... they checked everything out (now dont forget this is at 1:30 in morning, first nite when we are EXHAUSTED from a 8 1/2 hour drive.... they said they would come back the next day and find the problem just for us not to run the water, well they came back next day ...and the bathtub was leaking behind the all( no one had taken a bath though? ) they fixed that problem the shower also had to be recaulked or something like that ..so we were told not to use it for at least 3 hours.....but after all of this everything was fine things turned around(except the weather which wasnt their fault haha)

well.... the kids LOVED the pools ...anytime we were at the condo they wanted to be in to pool , my 8 year old loved the pools she learned to swim, do triple flips and handstands during the week! so needless to say this was her favorite part, and like the newest pool at knots grill.....its deepest part was 4 foot which was great for her just learning, although she did like the other pools

next the activites dept...wonderful ppl....they let us check out some games and cards the day it rained all day and there was tornado watches out ..which really helped out.

the guest services dept will let you check out a pass to the local state parks(huntington state park in murrels inlet*wonderful private beach , beautiful tourist sites, look it up online, be sure you go here its great) and also myrtle beach state park with the pier and private beach access...these places are $4 and $5 per person if you dont have a pass...which saved us alot of money ....you have to leave a $20 deposit with them and they give it back as soon as you return it. this was well worth the trip....if you dont want a crowded beach.........GO to huntington at murrels its great and not overpopulated at all .

overall good stay, place does need some maintenance but we stayed in building 15 which is an older unit, but still looks pretty good.

• Liked — pools
  • Disliked — no elevator in building
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I was looking for a relatively inexpensive getaway and chose Myrtle Beach because the airfare was low and I could book a resort through my timeshare (Bluegreen). While I was a little disappointed about not being able to stay at one of the beachfront properties, I had visited Harbor Lights before so I was not disappointed to be staying at this property. I was a little apprehensive about staying in one of the "hotel" units, but as soon as we entered the room, the disappointment was over. While it was much smaller than the previous unit that I stayed in before, it was just right for my travel buddy and I. The fact that the room had a fridge and microwave was good enough for us. Harbor Lights reminded me of a residential apartment complex, or a tight-knit community of families. The pools were great, the activities were well planned and the people were nice. The clubhouse and guest services area were well equipped with almost anything you could think of , and they had goodies every afternoon. Knot is a nice little "bar and grill" and the bartender was very friendly and helpful. Although not located right on the beach, it was only a short drive away from the beach and it was nice to come home to "peace and quiet" after a long day out and about. I love it and would gladly suggest it to others who are visiting the Myrtle Beach Area. By the way, the Boathouse is a great area bar with great burgers and cheap spirits. Cheers!!

• Liked — Pools and other amenities that were good alternatives to beach
  • Disliked — Surrounding area is still a little desolate but should be developed within the next year or so
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Il
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Being an owner with Bluegreen, I had high expectations of harbour lights resort, even after reading some of the less than "stellar" reviews. I was not disappointed. We had a 2 bedroom that slept 8 comfortably, and overall we were extremely pleased. The only major complaint that my husband and I had was the bed, the pillows, and the couch. The bed though very large was not comfortable at all, the pillows were flat and too soft, and the couch was noticeably old. The unit in itself was huge and was decorated nicely. The screened in patio was a welcome touch. The pools both indoor and outdoor were great.
Yes, the resort is kind of in an isolated area, but the 501 is a very short drive away and that connects you to everything in myrtle beach.
The staff was very nice and helpful. Our 3 children had a great time, and so did my adult sister and cousin who came along with us. WE LOVED HARBOUR LIGHTS!

• Liked — The pools and the planned activities
  • Disliked — The king sized bed was very uncomfortable
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family