Message from TripAdvisor:

“Beautiful Resort. We had a great time.”

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #155 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed April 12, 2009

This resort has done such a turn for the best. If you've stayed here before and came away unhappy, please give it another try. The new management is wonderful. Tiled walls, floors, upgraded the pool area, the children s water park and the rooms w/ 42" flat screen TV's We stayed in room 2726 which was done very nicely! When we were there (Easter holiday) they had a band outside of Mangos and people were playing volleyball and listening to the music. Young and old were dancing! This is a family orientated resort. You can not go wrong here!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alwayshappy51

Reviewed April 6, 2009

Rooms were clean. Excellent dining area.. Front desk clerk needs an attitude adjustment . I heard that there was a new management .I will say he/she is putting alot of money into this worn down establishment.. The "WATER PARK" was fun for the young and old!! What a turn around for the "SAND DUNES"" Needs more Check in/out clerical help

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank retiredorchardpark
Reviewed March 1, 2009

I can agree that the parking is a little tough at night but there are 1,000 other great things about this resort! My family has stayed at the sand dunes for 5 summers now and my kids are now 7,6 and 4! They love this place! Right on the beach but has a very nice water park(little crowded mid july) We spend day after day at the water park and lazy river and relax. so for parents with 3 kids under 8 its GREAT! Very convient with all the resturants right on sight and little conv. store and pizza place really dont have to leave the resort. .... We did stay our 1st year at the ocean dunes and the sand dunes accomodations are nicer and more modern. Going back this summer July 2009!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank 3kidz2beach
Reviewed January 14, 2009

After looking at these reviews I have to say I agree with some and the other have to be crazy. What most people don't know is that in 2005 all of the "ocean front " suites had been sold and that family's and investors now own them. They are making huge upgrades in this resort (Sand Dunes Ocean Front) with a new lobby, resturant, and rooms. Not all owners have made the investment in flat screen TV's so make sure you ask for a unit that has one!!!! all of the ocean front units were updated 3 years ago BUT some owners have gone above the rest so when you check in make sure you ask them for the "Best" of the units you are looking at...... trust me there are some very nice units my wife and kids have stayed in the last year. It will take another year or so but I will tell you that things will look and work much better in 2009.... On our last trip there two months ago a worker told me they were going to make over the indoor pool and make it a very updated and nice attraction for the kids this winter. Other parts of the resort do need updating but I will tell you my kids LOVE the kids club each summer and the location of the resort. This is NOT a five star resort ....so if you are looking for the Trump Plaza keep driving BUT if your looking for a place to kick back and not worry about getting sand on the carpet - the Sandunes is your place. We will continue to go there and enjoy the great location and water park. Thanks SD

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank DadyO
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Back In august I stayed at the sand dunes. Before I arrived I read tons of bad reviews but I also read good ones so I was like "what gives?". Well here is the truth. This hotel is ok and it is my opinion that everyone is different and expects certain things to be a certain way. Some people are happy while others are not. The fact of the matter is this is a beach hotel. People are constantly going in and out of it dripping wet from the beach with kids in tow. This is a very busy place and while the staff tries to keep things looking good its not always possible with the heavy traffic. They probably could do a better job but 90% of the staff is foreign and speaks poor english.

So here are the good things, the hotel location is great. It is right in the middle of everything. Main attractions to see other than the beach are Barefoot Landing, Broadway At The Beach and the Gay Dolphin Gift Cove which are all 10 minutes away. Each of these places have multiple things to do and see. The only place that is a little far away is brookgreen gardens and capt. dicks marina, about 20 minutes away. The view from my room which was a ocean front was amazing from the 8th floor. The room had everything it was supposed to and check in was immediate. The concierge was nice and helpful with planning things. And that my friends are the good things.

Now I will tell you the bad things with explanation from the time I arrived til I checked out. My girlfriend and I arrived on sunday the 17 at 3pm. The parking ramp is 5 floors but is so small its dangerous to drive thru it, there is only enough room for 1 car to turn around corners and the parking spaces were extremely cramped. Time and time again I had to park on the 4th or 5th floor and had to pass on spots because people were taking up 2 spaces for parking. I have a jeep liberty which is a small SUV and I would feel bad for someone that drives anything bigger. If you plan on seeing the sights you will find this ramp to be a real pain, however if you plan to just stay at the hotel you probably would'nt mind.

The floor thru the lobby and the elevators were constantly wet from people going to and from the beach and were slippery. However the staff was constantly mopping, atleast they were trying. All the hallways had indoor/ outdoor carpeting and there were 3 elevators which was fine. At 1st glance our room looked presentable, 2 dressers, closet with iron and ironing board, 2 sinks, one in bathroom, one out. A good sized kitchen with pots and pans, silverware etc. Decent sized fridge with can holders inside the door, enough to hold a 12 pack. Nice size tv and a balcony with a great view. Sounds great right? Not neccessarily.

So we unpacked, got settled and went out to the beach. As soon as we stepped onto the sand we were greeted by stagnent pools of seawater covering 1/4 of the beach leading up to the drain pipe. We tried to walk around it but eventually just had to walk thru it. Now this is a matter of opinion, I thought it was gross where as some people would'nt care. Some people even let their kids play in it, god knows why. Every morning the beach was smoothed out by the time we woke up but the stagnent pools were always there. Anyway after a couple hours we went back to the room to get ready for dinner and I started to notice a couple things.

First off the drain in the sink outside the bathroom was broken and would not open. I had read about the bathroom's being dirty in other reviews before we went there and it was infact true. But here's the thing. You have to remember this is a beach hotel in the south, the bathtub looked dirty from countless people tracking sand into it and I beleive it was clean but infact more stained than dirty. And from all the humidity the shower curtain was the same way. If you are a very clean person this would be unacceptable. Where as someone else would be ok with it. I'm pointing this out because alot of people get nervous when the read other reviews. I was actually ok with the bathroom because I understood why it was this way.

The next day I left a note for the cleaning staff about the sink, we went to lunch at hard rock and ripleys aquarium which were both great. We came back to our room at 4 and was still not cleaned which I was kind of upset about, bad first impression. We went to the beach and came back around 6, the room was clean and the hotel repair man was fixing the drain. He said that a part had rusted so bad it broke off, 20 min later he had it fixed. The next couple days went without incedent, the room was cleaned before 2 and all was well. Wednesday however things took a turn for the worse.

After searching for a parking spot in the ramp from hell I finally found one, it was cramped as usual. I had no choice but to park there and backed into a corner of the wall which damaged my bumper. I was furious that I was put in this position. It was'nt that bad of damage but none the less I had been forced to park in a tight spot. We then went to our room and got ready for bed when I cockroach scurried under the dresser. Yep its true, there are cockroaches there, and this happened to be a big one. I moved the dresser to try and find it and underneath there was a pile of trash, cheerios, french fries, paper, I was appauled. Not to mention the back of the dresser was falling apart leaving our clothes exposed for insects to infest.

I collected the cockroach with a towel, flushed it and cleaned up the trash. The next morning I went to the front desk and complained, they apologized and said that the insect most likely entered the room while it was being cleaned since the staff leaves the door open while they are in the room and that they would take care of the trash. I was disgusted and upset but there was nothing I could do.

Later in the day we came back to our room and it looked spotless. Now I was really looking for things but everything looked ok. We were still upset but tried to forget about it. Then around 10 that night I heard a yelling and splashing, there were a bunch of kids in the pool. This went on for a half hour and then I saw hotel security poolside taking care of it. The next day we went to go out for breakfast, the button for the elevator was broken in the parking ramp and we had to walk all the way up. There was garbage all over the place throughout and some graffitti on the walls. Later on that night we heard loud banging, I looked outside and kids were shooting off fireworks on the beach, even tho its illegal. They stopped after awhile then it started again but now the little [--] were shooting them right at the hotel. I yelled down to them and said I was calling security, they laughed and continued. I called the front desk and they said security was on lunch but they would adress it. Soon after I saw police chasing the kids down the beach.

I understand that things like this can happen but there should always be security on duty, especially at night when its prime time for mischief. We went to bed late and I was awakened by my girlfriend screaming around 4 am, there was another cockroach, this time it was in the bathroom . . . . After a horrible nights sleep we got up and packed, we were going to stay another day but after all this we decided to go home. I went to get my vehicle to load up after packing and the elevator button was fixed but looked rigged to me, I got into the elevator, doors closed and it would'nt move. I got out of it and had to walk again, this time horrified as i passed a half dozen dead cockroaches. We loaded up checked out and left.

So our stay started out ok but eventually went bad. The kids could have been avoided with more security and the room could have been cleaner. The cockroaches were there but it is the south and I've been told by many people that they are common even when places are clean. I'm from New York and we don't have issues like this so it was hard for me to deal with. In the end I guess this is what you would expect from a beach hotel in the south but if I ever go to myrtle beach again I will be staying elsewhere.

One last thing, if you are driving thru greensboro be aware that they just made a all new highway and that maps, gps and mapquest are not up to date yet. My garmin and mapquest said to take exit 218A to the 701 but the exit isn't there anymore. We ended up getting lost and had to go a hour out of our way thru backwards towns to get there. We also talked to several people that had the same issue. Call the hotel for directions.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank BuffaloMaximus
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed in Rm 1246 with our 5 year old grandson Aug 25-29, 2008. We were unfamiliar with the area motels and booked the room based on the website which was pretty accurate. We had a great stay. There was plenty of activities in and around the hotel to keep our grandson entertained. The room was great with a living room, full kitchen, large bedroom with two beds, and a washer/dryer. We had an excellent view from the angled balcony. The pools and water park seemed to be well maintained and clean. All staff were very friendly and helpful When we arrived the television would not come on and they had a repair person there within an hour to get it going. Computers are available in the lobby to check weather or any other internet purposes. This hotel is at a good central location. The is all around an great place to stay in Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed August 25, 2008

OK. I booked this place in a hurry for a last minute family trip through American Airlines Vacations. It was on the beach, with attached waterpark and onsite dining options (with free breakfast for kids)... how could I go wrong. Then I checked the reviews online and began to worry, but since most reviewers said it was good for families with kids I crossed my fingers and went with it. Well, the reviews were all pretty accurate, I think it's just a matter of your perspective and expectations. Looking for a nice, clean, high brow place... keep looking. If you're looking for a place to shake the sand off from the beach and in good location to enjoy the family friendly attractions of Myrtle Beach (and can look past a pretty run-down, kind of dirty place with friendly but inept service) then this place can be your perfect dump too!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family