Message from TripAdvisor:

“Do not stay they do not hold reservations and give you rooms promised and they overbill.”

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #148 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Osceola, Iowa
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I recently stayed at the Sand Dunes for a softball tournament. I reserved my room 1 month before my stay here and was supposed to get a 1 bedroom suite with washer and dryer. When I got there after traveling 20+ hours I was told they gave my room away to someone else and did not have the room I booked. I spoke with two different people who told me they could do nothing as they gave my room away before I arrived. The manager Steve on duty at the time told me there was nothing he could do and to call reservations. I called reservations and they told me there was nothing they could do. I dealt with the room I was given which was dirty and unkept for 3 days until finally a new manager was on duty. I explained my situation to Eddie the manager on Sunday and told him I had been patient for the past 3 days in the incorrect room without washer/dryer. My daughter played ball and needed uniforms washed daily and I was unable to do so. He was wonderful and got me a room with a washer and dryer in it finally. The room Eddie moved me to was very nice and renovated. I resereved my room and it should have been there when I arrived. They also billed my credit card a month ago for more than the invoiced amount they sent me. I spoke with them about this when I checked in and they told me they would issue a credit. As of today I have not gotten credit.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a suite room that was renovated and ask them to change sheets. My sons bed had ha...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Angie M
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014

We apologize that the room you booked was not available upon your arrival. This not common practice.

We are very happy to see that Eddie our Manager on duty rectified the situation for you.

If you will please inbox/message us your reservation #, we will certainly look into the credit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Charleston,SC
Reviewed March 10, 2014

In town for a dance competition and this was the host hotel selected by them. I booked a Junior Suite which was smaller than expected from 02.28.14-03.03.14. It didn't look anything like the photos on the website. There wasn't an iron in the room, the lid on the toilet tank was too big, the light over the kitchen sink didn't work, you press the front desk option on the phone and get no answer but I call from my cell and get the front desk immediately,the hotel and its rooms are dated,the hallways were dirty, I wasn't pleased with the presentation of the food at their other property next door at Oceans Dunes where breakfast was served, the elevator was so old I thought it wasn't going to work, balls were missing to games in the arcade. I wish I'd reserve a room at a national chain instead of trusting the dance competition's selection for this DUMP! I do not recommend this place at all! The only good thing I can say is my room was clean.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank dancemom36
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for leaving your feedback. It sounds like you were happy with the cleanliness of your room. If you inbox us your reservation and room #, we will look into the light issue in the kitchen and the phone issue.

We are sorry to hear of other issues with the elevator and other amenities. We at Sands Resorts want our guests to have an enjoyable vacation.

We hope that you will return again

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Toledo, Spain
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Our room was just remodeled. It was very clean. Staff was very friendly. Would definitely stay here again. I did not find any of the complaints people said. All was wonderful. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank kmweidin
We thank you for your positive review.

We are so happy you enjoyed your vacation. Please visit again soon
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I recently stayed in this hotel (feb 8, 2014) for a dance competition. Renovations were going in which we were not told about when making reservations. Hallways had trash and debris. Rooms were very outdated. Floors and carpets appeared so dirty we never took off our shoes in the room. We had planned to spend 2 nights in the hotel, however, after returning to the hotel after a very long day we found our room door ajar and opened. We immediately went downstairs and security came to check our room. Apparently housekeeping had left door open when they "cleaned". I spoke to manager how I felt unsafe and that our things had been unsecured all day and he did not seem to care. He said it was a mistake. I felt I should have some kind of compensation or at least a reduction in the price of my stay and he refused. Because we were so tired we decided to leave it alone and go to bed. That's when I pulled back comforter to find dirty sheets and something that appeared to be a huge dead bug on the comforter. I called back downstairs to a very annoyed employee to explain situation. They stated that sheets are only changed every 3 days. My sheets were NOT dirty the first night of my stay because I looked!!! At this point I asked to check out and they refused saying I would still have to pay for the night. I was disgusted and could not even think about sleeping in that bed even if they brought me new sheets at that late hour!! So at midnight my daughter and I packed up and checked into a beautiful Hampton Inn where we had a beautiful CLEAN room. NEVER ever stay at this place!

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
We are extremely sorry to hear that you had a poor experience.

Could you please inbox us your registration information. We will be following up with the manager who was on duty concerning the above issues.

We have many many sports and recreational groups visit our hotel each year and have a great experience. We do hope you will return
Martinsburg
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Wow room 2551at Sand Dunes is awesome just came down for a quick NYE getaway 2 Bedrooms and two baths plus a very comfy pull out couch, up to 10 people could stay here no problem. You can tell this room was very recently renovated. Walls are freshly painted and tastefully decorated. Carpet and furniture are brand new. Big TV in living room and nice flat screens in each bedroom. Even a dishwasher in the kitchen, I hate doing dishes on vacay lol. The balcony actually quite large, at least 40 feet long has an amazing view of the ocean. The balcony actually has two entrances one from living room and another from the bedroom, quite nice to enjoy without disturbing others. Would defiantly stay in room 2551 again :-)))

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Fishboy W
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for leaving us a great review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your trip, and thank you for posting pictures. Our homeowners did a wonderful job renovating and keeping the unit updated! So glad you enjoyed your vacation and can't wait until you come back!
Mineral Bluff, Georgia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at the Sand Dunes Resort and loved it. A lot of room for the money. We got 2 beds and 2 baths with a kitchen and living room. Staff was great. We arrived kind of late in the evening and night staff and day staff were very helpful. We have stayed at a lot more expensive places and the Sand Dunes does a better job of providing coffee, soap, lotion, and shampoo. They even had an iron and hair dryer in the room. We will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to leave us a review, we really appreciate it! We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and we are happy to hear you will come back again! Thank you for your feedback on our room amenities we like to know what the guests think! Thanks, see you next time!
Durham
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

I stopped here for couple of nights to relax before heading to Durham North Carolina. The room was fairly clean but did not have towels and wash costs and it. I did have a great view of the beach and ocean. They are pet friendly but charge a $50 fee. A $50 pet fee? That doesn't sound very friendly to me. I would stay here again because of the price. However there are a lot of other hotels in the area to choose from.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Jack W
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a good review! We really appreciate the feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and had a great view of the ocean. I have passed along your comments about our Fido Fee. We have to spend extra time cleaning the pet friendly rooms, therefore we charge the fee for cleaning. Glad you would stay with us again. Happy holidays!