“had to cancel, medical emergency, no refund”

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #154 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were scheduled to arrive at the Dunes on October 7th for a military reunion. I booked several months before and we were packed to go, when my wife had a medical emergency and was hospitalized. She was halfway finished with a 6 month course of Chemotherapy when her A-fib caused her heart rate to soar. Doctors advised us not to go to the reunion. This was three days before our arrival so I called immediately and was informed they had a 4 day cancellation policy. I would not be getting a dime of my $98.00 deposit back. After some thought I called back and asked to speak to a manager. When I explained what happened, the manager said they would only keep $50.00 of my deposit for all their hard work writing down my reservation.
Our group leader heard of my situation and contacted the Hotel's management and they said I would get a full refund. Still have not refunded a dime!! When checking the Hotels cancellation policy, almost impossible to find, and they do not tell you their policy when you book, I also find they have a gray area concerning cancellations if you have to leave early. Again keeping as much of your money as they can. I have made numerous calls to the hotel and have been given many different stories, my favorite was that I was listed as a No-Show, and every time I call I explain the whole story and they say they know nothing! I would advise anyone planning to stay there to check this policy and be sure they are willing to lose a hundred bucks if they need to cancel!!!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brian A

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We went to Sand Dunes with a group of 20, we booked three, three bedroom suites. We were thrilled to have them all on the same floor. The rooms had everything you could possibly need. Free wi-fi was positional, we could only get it from the kitchen to the balcony, but we were just thrilled to have it at all! The only issue I had with our rooms was the lack of water pressure in the shower. Our friends enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Free parking was another great bonus. We would definitely recommend this facility to any big groups or families. All vacations should come with an in-room washer and dryer!

Room Tip: We were in the tower above the parking garage. This is helpful to get your luggage up and down and...
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We would enjoy stayiing at this hotel again, if our conference is there again.
We top rate our particular room and its view of the beach.
We especially liked the tile floors in the room, attractive and comfortable furnishings, to include 3 pleasant prints on the walls. We did not hear noises from above or next to us.
Liked the open hallway outside the room, too.
Before going to this resort, I had much difficulty trying to decide between the two hotels that belong to the resort, the Ocean Dunes and the Sand Dunes.

I am not top rating the Sand Dunes simply because we found the ground floor area a bit tawdry for us. The swimming pools were small, but we weren't there to swim.
Very nice eating areas were close by, could walk to them. The area is quite built up, but our room and view were lovely, and removed.

We were there for a conference. One plus is the resort served the banquet in a timely way.

We personally prefer The Landmark Hotel in Myrtle Beach. However, for our banquets there , always a delay, untimely. Landmark has great fun swimming pools, to include large heated ones. I could actually swim laps. The area near The Landmark had buildings, but somehow more pleasant than all the buildings near The Sands.

An unfortunate occurrence at the Sands during our stay, was an outside tent, set up for a private reception, very loud, until about 11:30 PM. The hotel book in our room, said quiet hours started at 10 PM. We did complain twice to the front desk. They were polite, however, did nothing.

Room Tip: I would request a room with tiled floors. Some rooms had partial tiles with carpeting. I would want...
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Annual trip for 12 golfers. Golf Director Jon Wilkie was outstanding managing variable needs of our group. Hotel was great, housekeeping took good care of us. We booked premium courses such as True Blue, Caledonia and Prestwick and got good rates. Some of our past trips were not as smooth. Huge improvement over past 2 years, we will be booking again for next October.
Great view of sunrise from balcony.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 3 bedroom suites, plenty of room for everyone. All have washers and driers.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

stayed with group of 12 golfers for 10 days and have stayed there about 2 times every other year for last 20 years. Accommodation excellent facilities pool sauna etc breakfast very tasty beds very comfortable rooms spacious

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank brendan1942
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed here in 2012 and had an AWFUL experience. But, our kids loved the amenities so we decided to try again. I am so glad we did!! The room was clean. Check in didn't take very long. GREAT location with even better amenities. Our children loved the kids club. looked forward to it everyday! The hotel water park is a blast for kids and adults too. And all the free extras you get are just the icing on the cake... I am glad we decided to try again. I am sure we will be back in 2014!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tracye0614
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I booked this hotel based off a review from a coworker. He bought a condo in the Sands chain and traveled often with his family. He loved it, so rather than scour the internet myself, I booked based on his recommendation.

Then I read reviews and was terrified. My husband and I agree if the place was nasty, we'd cancel and find something else. Check in was fine and the room was okay. Nothing spectacular, but clean--no sign of dirt, bugs, etc. I did wash all the dishes with my own soap before using them and covered the bed in linens I brought from home, just in case.

We spent the bulk of our time at the water park area that's attached to the hotel. The lifeguards were all very nice and the park was clean. Lots to do--water slides, lazy river, pool, and a kid area. There was also a bar attached which definitely came in handy.

I would stay here again just for the water park.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family