Message from TripAdvisor:

“Lies, Lies, and more lies.”

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #153 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We booked out Vacation on March 22, 2012 for 4 families staying in 2x 2 bedroom suites for the arrival date of 8/3. Party consists of 4 familes which includes 2 kids under 14, 2 more at 4yo and an infant, 7mo old. We were caravanning from Chicago, and arrived on 8/3 around 7p. It was a long and tiring 16 hr drive. When we arrived, the check in process took forever because they only have 1 person running the counter, and many othere were waiting with varies problems and concerns. After we finally checked in and settled in, hauling all luggage to the 3rd floor of the villas, we realized that the 1 room did not have any electricity. It was really hot, and was time to put our infant down for the night. We called the front desk from the working room, and they said they will send someone to look at it. 2 workers came by and checked the fuse panel and said they will be right back because they don’t know what the issue is. After the long wait, and crying kids, we decided to walk down to the front desk and speak with the manager, Mr Steve Madert. We came to find that the power was out because the owner did not pay his electricity bill. REALLY? We booked this 5 months ago!!! We were really upset, and had no where to go. Mr Madert than told us that they are completely booked and offered to put us somewhere temporarily until he can figure things out for tomorrow. I told him that this is really hard because we have a lot of luggage and necessities for the kids/ infants and this would be a REALLY inconvenient step for us. He said that this is what it is and he will do all he can the next day to make it right. He was really nice that night and told us that come tomorrow, (Sun 8/4) half the resort was checking out, and that he would put us in his “nicest suites” and I quote. That night, was a nightmare because we stayed at a single unit with my inlaws who were forced to sleep on the pull out sofa after our 16hr drive. We did not get any sleep that night. We couldn’t fully unpack, because we were moving, and the other party didn’t unpack either because Mr Madert assured us that we would be moving to their “nicest suites” the following night.
Next day, we came down to the front desk at 12p as agreed the previous night. Mr Madert was no where to be found. We spend a lot of time looking for him and then asked staff to get a hold of him. After doing so on the phone, Mr Madert was VERY RUDE on the phone and said that he found us another 2 bedroom suite in the same villa we were supposed to stay at. This room was also not very close to our other party. We asked him what about our agreement and the “nicest sweet” ? he said “It is what it is, and this conversation is over” and that was the end of our conversation. I was really upset! We lost this night, and still had not unpacked and losing time. We wanted to go to the beach, and get food, and crying kids, and no where to go! It was horrific. We then went to the front desk and asked if they have any rooms that are closer together, and were told that they only had 3 bedroom suites available. After consideration, we each paid $600 ($1200) total to upgrade to the 2x 3bd suites that were close to each other in the tower.. we finally settled in mid afternoon, and tried to enjoy the rest of our vacation. We then tried to setup a meeting with Mrs Sandra Alltop to go over this issue. She was never around, and the only minute I caught her, she said that she has our information and will see what she can do. Most our correspondences were via email. On 8/14, Mrs Alltop informed me that there is no other compensation than the 50% of first night that was provided. I said that this is unacceptable, and not only do I NOT see ANY refund done on their part to this day, That is NOT acceptable for the horrific service we received; and in additional, not as promised.
I opened a case with BBB, and Ms Alltop lied to them as well, and was simply ignoring my response by stating that Sand Dunes stands behind the decision that has been made. which basically means they DO NOT WANT YOUR BUSINESS!! STAY AWAY!!!

4  Thank ISEI3

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had read all the reviews on here about this resort, so I was kinda leary to stay here, but boy did we get a great condo.

We just booked this resort on the weekend of Sept. 13 2013 through Sept. 15 2013. I can tell you this. This resort was great. All the people were friendly and helpful. I even got a chance to talk to someone about how this resort works. If you come here please understand that the rooms/condos are privately owned. They go from a rating scale of A-D, A being the best and rented out first with D being the worst and rented out last. There are some D rated rooms from some of the reviews I've seen here, but they try to get the OWNERS to get them to A standards. They try not to book those unless the rest are full. It is up to the OWNERS of the rooms to take care of the furnishings (ex. broken chair), unless the guests damage something. We also found out that the only thing the hotel takes care of is the cleanliness and things like repairs from toilets to HVAC. It is up to the OWNER of the condo to renovate it. They do yearly inspections as well, and rate the rooms accordingly. If you go during a very busy time you have the possibility of getting a D rated room if everything else is booked remember this.

We stayed here during the weekend, and the condo we got was very clean, had a clean refrigerator, clean dishes, and cook ware, clean beds and sheets, clean couches and chairs, also had a clean dishwasher, clean full size fridge, stove only, (no oven). The condo we got was in the Villas and it was a corner unit, loved the view down the strip and the partial view of the ocean. It was condo number 2517. The only down fall to our condo was that it came with only double beds, instead of queen. Thinner people would be fine, but average size people, it is kinda too small. The parking decks are nice, but tight when there is some traffic going in and out.

Room service was friendly, and restocked towels, toilet paper. Also changed the sheets on the beds daily, vacuumed the floors, took out the trash. The clerk at check in was friendly, and gave us a map of the resort with our building circled on it, and how to get there from the reservations desk.

The water park was great for the kids. The water was very clean, and maintained daily, I watched them every morning test and clean the water. The water slides were fun for both adults, and kids.
The breakfast buffet at the Brass Anchor on sight was ok, but nothing wonderful. If you eat there its best to get something made to order and not the buffet. The food was kind of bland on the buffet, that's about it.

Overall this is a wonderful Resort and has alot to do right there without even having to leave. It is close to South Myrtle as well only about 10 minutes away or at least during this weekend it was due to light traffic. We defiantly plan on coming back again, and is very reasonable on price and fun.

Room Tip: If you book a room with a kitchen, remember to get some paper towels. They do give you dish towels t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We booked this at the last minute and called and got the managers special. It was a cheaper rate than what was on the Internet. The staff at the front desk were difficult to understand at times. Our room was an oceanfront room with two queen beds. The view was spectacular and the sounds of the waves crashing in were very soothing. The room itself was okay but could've been cleaner. We made some minor requests such as the bedspreads were dirty and The shower curtain was moldy. We called down to the front desk and immediately someone came up to change out everything. Yes the rooms are somewhat dated but very accommodating to our needs...the important thing was the linens were crispy clean and the beds were very comfotable. The views and amenities made up for it. We love the mini waterpark and enjoyed relaxing on the chairs in the water or on the tubes. Also it was easy in and easy out and accommodating to my minor handicaps needs. It was not crowded at all but keep in mind we stayed in the off-season after Labor Day. We would definitely stay here again. We have stayed at three other places in Myrtle on the beach in the past and and enjoyed this one the most.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for any specials. You may be surprised that you get a better deal over the phone...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights. We stayed at the Sand Dunes Resort. Our room was in the Sand Dunes Villas.
OLD BUILDING!! Very run down.
Bad directions from the staff on how to get to the building. we wandered for 15 minutes until we spotted a worker who took us to the building which was NOT where we were told to go.
Then we had to go to another building to get our wristbands and discount tickets.
We were supposed to be able to go on a boat tour but that was conveniently booked until AFTER we left!!
We did get tickets to a water park that was actually pretty cool!!

We had 4 people staying in the room, 2 adults, 13 f,9m. They gave us 2 towels the first day, no soap or shampoo, half a roll of toilet paper. Knew it would cost to walk away so we stayed anyway (just didn't let the kids know how we felt so at least THEY could enjoy the vacation. From a sign in the room it seemed to be a private condo we were in. If that was MY condo I would be embarrassed at the state it was in, and at the horrible housekeeping!!
Everyday they shorted us towels and we had to call the desk. It took HOURS for them to send us what we needed!
Due to our schedule we were in the room when housekeeping arrived several days. We told them not to make the room but that we needed 4 sets of towels. At 10 am we were told that they only had 2 sets for us on 2 occasions! When we were out of the room on 2 days they did not even vacuum the carpet!!
On the last day they took our old towels and gave us NOTHING!! When I called the front desk they transferred me to housekeeping who promptly hung up on me. i called the desk back and told them we needed towels and toilet paper. After 1 1/2 hours NOTHING!! I called again and was told that housekeeping had been notified. When I asked when we would get the towels I was told it was up to housekeeping. I asked for a manager, Steve was his name I believe. He had an attitude but said that he would personally deliver the supplies. When he arrived in about 10 minutes all he said was "Here are your towels". No apology for the poor housekeeping or the long delay!! Best part was about 20 minutes later someone else came by and dropped off 4 sets of towels.
There was obvious mold around the tub and toilet.
There is a small water park (lazy river, couple of sides and a bucket that dumps water). They were NEVER open for the time listed at the gate. Everyday they closed early, by 5:30 pm (one day was due to a thunderstorm- can't argue about that) the sign said 7 pm.

Parking seemed to be a problem in the main building. Every night people were trying to park there only to find out after driving through 5 levels that it was full (I had no problems with parking - my building's lot had plenty but that would mean people would have to cross the street to get to the main building)..

The beach was great!
They had a small pizza shop (Arcade Pizza I think). Pizza was good, prices were reasonable, and the service was fast!

1  Thank Ken C
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Love this hotel! Not the fanciest place around but very convenient to everything and the resturaunt is fantastic. We actually travel here from NY to have Thanksgiving dinner at the resturaunt and then we take a walk on the beach afterwards. The bar can be expensive near the pool but other than that, I really have nothing bad to say about this place!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are actually owned by others as the hotel sold off a portion of the rooms to inves...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Our baseball team booked this resort for a week for a tournament. I was very nervous after reading reviews. I myself had no issues. Now I do agree that parking was rather annoying. The parking garage was hard to navigate. Housekeeping came once a day to empty garbage and bring towels . They did not make beds or vacuum. I did call and request a Vacum mid week as we had 2 families staying in a three bedroom but it did not happen. The waterpark at the resort was nice but small , it also would have been better if it was beachside but you are actually in the parking lot. The free waterpark that they give you tickets too was about a 25 minute drive but it was nice. The amusement park that they give you tickets too was awful . It was worse than a carnival, that I would not waste my time doing. The on site restaurants were good. Every night we could see or hear fireworks on the beach which I enjoyed . It was the greatest resort if you are looking for modern or 5 star but I didn't think it was awful either.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Lkhbase
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My family , my parents, and my brothers family rented 3 double oceanfront rooms in the main building. We were pleasantly surprised to find clean rooms, a very helpful bellboy and beautiful outside landscaping! We had a wonderful time. The staff was constantly mopping the floors to keep up with the traffic from the beach. The elevators were fine. Not sure how fast people want their elevators to go but they seemed to work fine. Our room was cleaned well. The only complaint was the shortness of towels. Staff told us they did not get the truck in with new towels. Also, even though there are signs, people took towels out to the pool and left them there. I think it is difficult to keep up with guests that think everything should be done for them. Overall the kids loved the waterpark and lazy rivers.. I loved the landscaping and all the palm trees!! Beautiful!! We also took advantage of the free boat ride. Everyone enjoyed it. The boat staff was very informative. I came very close to canceling my reservations because of the negative reviews but so glad I didn't. The family wants to come back again!!! Also kudos to Stacie the housekeeper. She did the best job!

Room Tip: Would get room in main building!!