Message from TripAdvisor:

“Wonderful Vacation Will return!”

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #152 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The waterpark was fantastic Even though the weather was cool for April the kids had a great time. Easy access to the beach and most amenities I needed were right on site. Hotel was clean and our room was in excellent shape. Hotel staff was very friendly with lots of smiles to pass around We will return

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

We are so glad you had a great time! We always open the waterpark early in the season even if it is a little cold! We can't wait for you to come back next year. Make sure to add your email to our email list on our website to get the latest deals! Thanks for leaving us your feedback!

There are newer reviews for Sand Dunes Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed in 3 bedroom suite and upon arrival we had to deal with maintenance problems. Sliding door to balcony would not open, door to master bedroom would not shut, towel rack in bathroom loose from wall and ceiling fan in master bedroom about to fall down. Apparently this suite had not been inspected prior to our arrival. The desk responded and everything got fixed, but it took a day and we should not have had to deal with it. The unit was a little shop worn. We have stayed in resorts before and this was stretching the term "resort". The passes to the water park. etc. was a nice perk and free parking was nice (although the decks fill up quickly at night). If your expectations are not high, then you might enjoy the place. The kids enjoyed themselves and had we not dealt with the problems it would have been fine. I would probably not recommend any of the Sands places.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less noise. Try to get near elevator since that is the way to everything
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for leaving your feedback. It sounds like you enjoyed the amenities we offered and everything else we have for our guests. We are sorry there were issues with your room, but we are glad that you got them fixed in a timely manner. It is very hard for us to inspect all the rooms during the summer and we have people consistently coming and going, thus sometimes we do not know of issues inside the room until a guest tells us. We hope that you will return again!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I feel i need to write a review because like many of you, i read reviews also. After reading all the reviews about Sands Dune Resort i was upset and even tried to change hotels at the last minute, but could not. I am happy to say that i was happy with the resort, but agree with alot of people in that the hotel is outdated and can be cleanier. i stayed in a three bedroom three bathroom suite and was pleased, the only issue i had was the maid service was terrible, everyday i had to tell them to come clean the room, only to find out when i returned it wasnt done, and had to call again, and when they did clean it it wasnt great and always forgetting to replenish toilet paper and towels. at one point i actually told them to not change my sheets because i knew i prob wouldnt get another clean set, or a king set. i took off the blanket and comforter the whole time i was there cuz they were stained. other than that the hotel was acceptable, you need a car to get around. the free water park and amusement park were very cheesy and small, and i couldnt believe the restaurants charged almost 10-12% tax, that was crazy. the lazy river pool was good, you have to find chairs sometimes. kids played volleyball alot and we went for a bike ride, i actually only stepped foot on the beach at night and it was ok.
overalli would say it went well!!! when i left i told the desk that they should really improve their maid service and their response was they know, i told them they can lose alot of business because of that and they had nothing to say. by the end of week i just made it a habit to stop by front desk and ask for toilet paper and towels just so i wouldnt have to come back down!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Sometimes the reviews make it seem way worse than it really is. We do try to keep the best staff we can on our housekeeping team, but this hard at times since there are so many hotels on the beach. Each year we continue to try new ways to improve our housekeeping. We hope you come back again!

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm just going to get straight to the point. My family and I (my husband and our two children) stayed at the Sand Dunes Resort and Villas side view 1 bedroom condo. The first room we had was very dirty!! I couldnt believe that they would actually expect someone who just spent over a thousand dollars to stay there comfortably for a week! The bathroom was dirty. The tub had dark stains inside of it. The comforters on the bed was dirty. The place had an unpleasant smell. Cob webs were on the walls and it was very outdated!! So I called to talk with the supervisor and she did give us a different room. That room was much better, it was outdated, but it would do I thought until I saw ROACHES everywhere!! They were even on the bed comforters!!! I called the supervisor again and told her the problem. She wanted to move me into another room but in that same building whereas I wanted to be moved in another building. She told me if I moved in another building I would have to pay more money. So I asked her to refund me my money (which all of my money was not refunded back to me) and we left to go to another resort!! The hassle of moving from one room to another and then ultimately moving to a different resort was not fun and very time consuming!! The room was not worth the money that I had spent!! I will never stay there again and I will never recommend ANYONE to stay there!!!!!!

1  Thank jonesr3
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 6 nights in a 3 room suite as part of a party of 12....1/2 of whom were children under 10. Pros- kids had a great time between ocean/beach, two pools, and water park. Food at both restaurants was very good. Staff at Mangos very Nice. Lifeguards at beach friendly, helpful.
Cons- housekeeping did a lacksidasical job at best of cleaning rooms. I could elaborate ad nauseum on this point. The bedding was old and nasty. Carpet was threadbare in places. Elevators were smelly, hot and slow. Arcade was very lame- even our kids thought so. Lifeguards at water park were more concerned with flirting with each other than safety. Management was not responsive to several issues brought to their attention. The place is falling apart. Ceiling tiles in indoor pool area broken or missing, hot tub broken, shabby beach/ pool chairs.
Most disturbing of all they have a Kids Club where guests can take their kids and drop them off. One day when we were at the pool the kids club staff came trooping in with a bunch of kids. None of the teens in charge got in the pool but sat around watching the kids swim. One plopped down in the shade and worked her IPhone. We were by the wading pool when one of the kids club leaders thought a little boy they brought with them pooped in the pool. They took the boy out and had one of the males "counselors" take him potty. Two of the other counselors stood there trying to decide if it was a poo. They actually asked one of the older campers (maybe 9yrs old) to touch it with a pool toy to see!! One counselor finally went to get some help. In the meantime other guests kept trying to take their kids in the pool. I had to tell them what happened and keep them out while the remaining counselor continued to work her IPhone. 1/2 hour later and still no one came. We reported it to the front desk. Another 1/2 hour and still nothing. We asked to speak to a manager but no one was available. We left our number and never got a call. Needless to say, we avoided that pool for the remainder of our stay. And it made us very wary of the other pools as well.
Overall, while we enjoyed ourselves I would not recommend this hotel to anyone else. If you do go, skip the Kids Club for sure

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I will never go again. After all the problems I had. Blood stained pillow case. My son was injured from a broken door. Most dirty place I've ever seen and trust me I took pictures. And all they offerend to compensate was 50 dollar credit n breakfast. The manager was rude and arrogant with my complaints.

1  Thank Jenc1028
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This place was nice...a lot of things to do without ever leaving the resort. There was a convience store to shop for whatever you needed, restaurants, arcade, ice cream, pizza, lazy river, and a water park ...just a lot to choose from. We had a three bedroom suite for my family and everyone was just amazed by this place. It was clean and when we needed towels and more bath cloths(9 people), staff delivered them promptly. Hotel staff was nice, view of the ocean was nice... I just wish we could have stayed longer and enjoyed all that this place had to offer. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rissa k

We are so glad you had a great time!!! We hope you will come back again next year. We try to include things here on property so you do not have to go off property for them. It is good to hear that our staff fulfilled all your needs in a timely manner. Thanks for taking your time to write us a good review. Please add your email to our website so you will receive our latest deals!