Message from TripAdvisor:

“Very Suprised”

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #152 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for a baseball tournament before we read the reviews and was very petrified on what we were going to find. We checked in on a Tuesday night after. A 13 hr trip and was greeted by very friendly female and delicious oatmeal cookies. My son and I proceeded to our hotel and was amazed by our ocean view. The room was very clean....bedding,refrigerator ..the toilet did not flush but made a phone call right away and there was someone in our room within ten minutes and problem was fixed. After such a long trip we decided not to leave the hotel and had dinner at Mangos within the hotel with some other baseball parents and kids...the food was delicious....Because we were a guest the meal is 50 percent off ....If you want a quicker dinner they have pizza ...cheese for 2 dollars and pepperoni for 3 dollars or subs and wraps for great prices
After dinner the kids were able to go outside and watch a magic show that they have every night at 7:30...I would definitely stay here again and can't wait to go again next year.

1  Thank Berry1099
There are newer reviews for Sand Dunes Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just came back last night, and actually left a nigh early. The fact that I drove 12 hours to sleep in my own bed, should speak volumes! Everthing on here about the deplorable condition of the rooms are correct. I understand that resorts age, but they do NOT have to be filthy just because they are old. We were forced to stay here for a baseball tournament, and I will tell you that I would sleep in my car before I went back. The maid service was non exisitent, and I actually spent $50 on cleaning supplies and cleaned the place myself when we checked in. I had a clogged toilet, which I had to repair myself since my requests for maintainence were not answered. This was NOT a cheap property, so I would highly suggest you look elsewhere, unless of course filth and terrible service are what you are looking for.

2  Thank Jeffrey713
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just got back from the Sands Resort yesterday and it was quite upsetting to say the least. First off we booked 4 rooms and the penthouse. The rooms are very outdated, the bed sheets weren't changed every day, the breakfast selection is very limited unless you want to pay $5 for a waffle, you have to park at the meters cause they overbooked the rooms. The list goes on and on. We were welcomed each night by the roaches in and out of the rooms!!! Sandra the "hotel manager" is the nastiest woman we've ever met. Hung up on a few guests. Told us that we could have checked out just as fast as we checked in. Told us the room problems are not her problem. She should be ashamed of herself and should not be dealing with guests. Beware! Upon arrival they will try and charge you more than what they originally quoted you so make sure you call ahead of time for your balance. I even had an email with my price and they STILL didn't honor it!!! We spent about $10,000 just for our 5 rooms and regret it now. Stay elsewhere if you can!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jmomof2
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were forced to stay at this "resort" because of a baseball tournament that required teams to stay. Having read the poor reviews, we were apprehensive about staying, but lamented because the team was staying and we didn't have a choice.

The entire hotel smells of mildew, garbage and sewage. We literally had to hold our noses in the elevators. And that was when an elevator was actually working, as at least 2 or 3 were out of service at the time. Saying the rooms are dated is a compliment. They are old and the entire place needs a gut renovation (demolition of the entire building and starting over may be cheaper).
Any amenity that they have or advertise is old and needs to be torn down.

We were told by the desk not to go out on the terrace of our oceanview room because they were not safe. The bedding looked like it had been there for a few decades, together with the furniture and television that despite cable had a fuzzy picture on every channel.

I called down for extra towels and a blanket and were told they were out of blankets and would send towels. I ended up taking towels from a deserted housekeeping cart and had to pay a maid 10 bucks to get a blanket. The bed was uncomfortable.

A housekeeper (male) walked into the room while my wife was in the shower, this was despite her yelling that she was in there. The manager as result of the foregoing claimed he would "take care of the bill and take something off" that never happened.

Stay away-gross

3  Thank lasophis
Reviewed July 20, 2013

When I booked our reservation I requested a low level floor. When I arrived I was booked for a higher floor but they were able to move me to the 2nd floor, which was great. The ocean view room was fine but nothing exceptional. They had nice pools, a nice water park and easy beach access. I loved having the outside balconies for the indoor pool. My daughter could swim and I could relax with a good book and a good breeze. The staff were polite but not very friendly. We definately enjoyed the stay though and would stay there again.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Rented Penthouse Suite 1233 and it was disgusting. Such a disappointment and a waste of money. The room was filthy, doors were broken, found used diabetics strips on the floor, toilet wasn't bolted to the floor, doors were broken not to mention roaches. I wouldn't stay here if they paid me. Our room should've never been able to be rented for it was so run down. When asked to be moved was told hotel was full and had to wait for the hotel general manager Sandra, after 6 days she finally spoke with us on July 19th the day before we left.l, Her exact words were "nobody held a gun to our head to stay" and hung up the phone. when asked her to come and look at the room she stated it wasnt her job...such a disgrace she should be fired. Will post pictures

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Nmatos0930
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I am writing to express how much we were disappointed in our stay this past weekend. Our room was tired and outdated. It was advertised as having a full kitchen, when in reality there is no oven. We purchased food to cook in advance as we could afford to eat out with the high cost of the room.

A. no oven
B. only two burners worked on stove
C. Rusted fridge that leaked all over the food inside
D. rusted dated dishwasher
E. hole in the wall, as soon as you walk in the room
F. huge dents in the wall
G peeling wallpaper in the bathroom
H. peeling paint on the ceiling
I. dirty elevator w duct tape holding a panel together
J. tiles missing a falling from the ceiling in indoor pool area.

This list is ridiculous with prices you charge. will never be back and will tell our friends the same. We were there for baseball USSSA, our team spent over $9000 to stay there. CRAZY!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends