Message from TripAdvisor:

“Iffy but ended up great!”

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #148 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Clinton, South Carolina
“Iffy but ended up great!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had to change our reservations (originally Thurs-Sun, had to change to Fri-Mon) due to our work schedules and they screwed us out of our original booking (booked an oceanfront king suite, ended up with a ocean "view" double bed suite that you couldn't see the ocean unless you hung over the rail). Luckily we called the front desk and they fixed our reservation right away and got us back into our original bookings. Once we got that fixed everything was WONDERFUL. The room had a balcony AND a glass/window wall that you could view the ocean from the living room without having to go outside. It was awesome! The convenience store was nice and we loved that River City Cafe was directly beside it. My only other complaint would be that the cleaning service would knock but not identify themselves. The first day we answered the knock with a "Yea?" in an effort to see who was knocking and they walked right in without identifying who they were. He apologized and went right out but awkward nonetheless. Weird.

Room Tip: Definately go for a King bed ocean front suite. There's only a few with the full window though s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
New Castle
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at sand dunes for 5 nights and it was a nice place to stay. Has a store and restaurant and arcade. Great view of ocean, easy access to ocean. Shuttle from hotel to near attractions. Hotel has very friendly staff. They were very welcoming.
There is a couple of things that were a disappointment and they were the bathrooms are very small and housekeeping wasn't very good. But for the price we would stay there again. Very affordable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2013

we did online reservations then after struggling with that..called..finally got reservations WITH breakfast buffet..upon arrival we had to wait in line45 min to check in. we got to our suite it was downright dirty..the hanging light over where we would eat belonged in a museum n cobwebs hanging off it reminded me of the munsters. sleeper sofa was old n run down...it wasnt even anything close to the pics we saw online..the bedroom wasnt a bedroom you had to walk thru it to go in the living quarter..next day we went to breakfast n was given a bill..we were told we didnt have buffet on our room. $265 a night for a dirty run down hole was more than i could take...to top it off the hot tub was foamy n caused us to itch..we had to seek medical help due to aweful rash we got from hot tub..ao discussed never ever go back..left early due to bad service n nasty room

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank anita_walker07
Sands R, Public Relations Manager at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay with Sands Resorts. I am dismayed as this is not how we wish to represent ourselves and certainly not the business model we want our guests to believe we follow. I have taken your concerns to the appropriate department managers and reviewed your issues. We are constantly striving to improve our product and I do thank you for taking the time to bring our shortcomings to our attention as we cannot correct issues we are not informed about.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My family has been coming to Sand Dunes and Ocean Dunes for years. We love the water park, how close it is to other attractions, and other amenities of the resort. Great customer service. We also like the free passes to the large water park down the road.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Came here for Spring Break with the family, for a week. Rented the Penthouse, 3-bedroom. Old and smelly. Not allowed to use their fitness facility (archaic and rusty machines) because we rented from a private owner vs renting from the resort. Both couches smelled like urine. We were expected to provide everything, including toilet paper! Small pool. Run down resort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank RLUVS2TRAVEL
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay with Sand Dunes Resort & Spa. I have taken your concerns to the appropriate department managers and reviewed your issues. We thank you for taking the time to bring any shortcomings to our attention as we are constantly striving to improve our product and cannot correct issues we are not informed about.
Massillon
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying for 12 days last July in Myrtle Beach all at the Sand Dunes Resort. I started to select my vacation plans back to Myrtle Beach for 2013 and it will start and stop once again with this location. I felt I should share my opinion of this property. The room we stayed in was clean and all necessary kitchen needs were present. I had a spectacular view of the ocean. The restaurants that are available on the grounds offer good options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus several restaurants are close enough for a brief minute or two walk. The premises were clean, updated and geared towards a family. The waterpark was a great asset to have with children. My wife worked out in one of the more elaborate training facilities that she has been in. This is located on the premises. It was free to use during our stay. The hotel staff interacted in an extremely friendly and courtesies manner. I was in line at the pizza shop that is on the premises and the manager of this hotel (I believe her name was Sandra) walked up and spoke to my wife and I and asked what our opinion of the property was and what could she do better to make my stay better. I did not have a lot to offer, but she took notes and commented with understanding. I travel a lot and usually I only get that type of option to voice my opinion via an email survey that comes after my stay and for the most part, probably nobody reads. Overall, when I plan to stay in Myrtle Beach, this is where I will be.

Room Tip: Request oceanfront view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank J F
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Lobby is beautiful. Niceindoor pool and hot tub. HOWEVER, We were assigned to a room oin fifth floor. It was gross nasty filthy. After we found a big hair in the big , I asked to be moved, the new room had dried food caked all over the sink so I went back down again and finally was moved to a room that appeared mostly clean, Still there were someones toe nail clipping in the frame of the floor to ceiling window, peanuts in the pull out bed, old dirty carpet. Wore my shoes the whole time. The fifth floor is old, dirty and gross. I would never stay here again which is unfortunate because, if they gave it a major renovation it would a great place. Staff is exceptionally nice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family