Message from TripAdvisor:

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #149 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“wow disapointment”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

we did online reservations then after struggling with that..called..finally got reservations WITH breakfast buffet..upon arrival we had to wait in line45 min to check in. we got to our suite it was downright dirty..the hanging light over where we would eat belonged in a museum n cobwebs hanging off it reminded me of the munsters. sleeper sofa was old n run down...it wasnt even anything close to the pics we saw online..the bedroom wasnt a bedroom you had to walk thru it to go in the living quarter..next day we went to breakfast n was given a bill..we were told we didnt have buffet on our room. $265 a night for a dirty run down hole was more than i could take...to top it off the hot tub was foamy n caused us to itch..we had to seek medical help due to aweful rash we got from hot tub..ao discussed never ever go back..left early due to bad service n nasty room

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank anita_walker07
Sands R, Public Relations Manager at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay with Sands Resorts. I am dismayed as this is not how we wish to represent ourselves and certainly not the business model we want our guests to believe we follow. I have taken your concerns to the appropriate department managers and reviewed your issues. We are constantly striving to improve our product and I do thank you for taking the time to bring our shortcomings to our attention as we cannot correct issues we are not informed about.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My family has been coming to Sand Dunes and Ocean Dunes for years. We love the water park, how close it is to other attractions, and other amenities of the resort. Great customer service. We also like the free passes to the large water park down the road.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Came here for Spring Break with the family, for a week. Rented the Penthouse, 3-bedroom. Old and smelly. Not allowed to use their fitness facility (archaic and rusty machines) because we rented from a private owner vs renting from the resort. Both couches smelled like urine. We were expected to provide everything, including toilet paper! Small pool. Run down resort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank RLUVS2TRAVEL
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay with Sand Dunes Resort & Spa. I have taken your concerns to the appropriate department managers and reviewed your issues. We thank you for taking the time to bring any shortcomings to our attention as we are constantly striving to improve our product and cannot correct issues we are not informed about.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Massillon
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying for 12 days last July in Myrtle Beach all at the Sand Dunes Resort. I started to select my vacation plans back to Myrtle Beach for 2013 and it will start and stop once again with this location. I felt I should share my opinion of this property. The room we stayed in was clean and all necessary kitchen needs were present. I had a spectacular view of the ocean. The restaurants that are available on the grounds offer good options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus several restaurants are close enough for a brief minute or two walk. The premises were clean, updated and geared towards a family. The waterpark was a great asset to have with children. My wife worked out in one of the more elaborate training facilities that she has been in. This is located on the premises. It was free to use during our stay. The hotel staff interacted in an extremely friendly and courtesies manner. I was in line at the pizza shop that is on the premises and the manager of this hotel (I believe her name was Sandra) walked up and spoke to my wife and I and asked what our opinion of the property was and what could she do better to make my stay better. I did not have a lot to offer, but she took notes and commented with understanding. I travel a lot and usually I only get that type of option to voice my opinion via an email survey that comes after my stay and for the most part, probably nobody reads. Overall, when I plan to stay in Myrtle Beach, this is where I will be.

Room Tip: Request oceanfront view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank J F
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Lobby is beautiful. Niceindoor pool and hot tub. HOWEVER, We were assigned to a room oin fifth floor. It was gross nasty filthy. After we found a big hair in the big , I asked to be moved, the new room had dried food caked all over the sink so I went back down again and finally was moved to a room that appeared mostly clean, Still there were someones toe nail clipping in the frame of the floor to ceiling window, peanuts in the pull out bed, old dirty carpet. Wore my shoes the whole time. The fifth floor is old, dirty and gross. I would never stay here again which is unfortunate because, if they gave it a major renovation it would a great place. Staff is exceptionally nice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Tnnrse11
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

It took over 30 minutes for me to get a room. The 1st one, we open the door and the fridge is in the middle of the entrance and there are broken tiles on the floor. They give me another room and the room they give me has double beds instead of queens. 4 people are not going to fit in 2 double beds. So back to the front desk I go. The manager gets annoyed with me and says she upgraded me. That does me no good if we all can't fit in a bed. So after waiting another 20 mins, they give me another room (the original room type). No apologies or anything. Will not be back. Not a good first impression. All this after driving 4 hours with 2 exhausted kids that needed to go to bed.

• Stayed November 2012
Sanford, North Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Guess "Resort" is right... They just "Resorted" to rent the Rooms out and Not check on them...
First things first...
The outward appearance isn't that bad, plus they did have a quaint cozy sitting area with chairs / table / a Swing to sit and watch the ocean and beach.

The Rooms!!!!
We rented a 2br/2ba Room - and I must say it is SMALL!!!
We called to ask about things we need to bring (Towels / Dish Towels, etc..), we were told "Its Fully Stocked". When we get there, there is No Dish Towels, We had to fry things in a Pot, because there was not a complete cookware set.

Floors were FILTHY!!! Sticky, Stained, Scuffed Up.
Walls / Celings - Scuffs / Stains / Bad Water Damage
Bathrooms - Floors were just as sticky, faucets didn't have good pressure, when you go to take a shower, the tub is still running while they shower head is running, making the pressure HORRIBLE!!!

The next day, when the room was "Cleaned" (And I use that tierm Loosely)... Nothing was cleaned... Same scuff marks, stains, sticky floors. And these are stains that would have came off with out any problems, as I took a wet papertowel and cleaned some of the stains of the door.
Luckily we always bring cleaning supplies...

The ONLY GOOD Thing I can say is that we had to check out early due to a death in the family, and they refunded the unused days without asking any questions... I still will not and would not ever stay here again, or reccomend this place to my friends / family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family