Message from TripAdvisor:

“No need to come back... :(”

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #148 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Ohio
“No need to come back... :(”
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Came here for Spring Break with the family, for a week. Rented the Penthouse, 3-bedroom. Old and smelly. Not allowed to use their fitness facility (archaic and rusty machines) because we rented from a private owner vs renting from the resort. Both couches smelled like urine. We were expected to provide everything, including toilet paper! Small pool. Run down resort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank RLUVS2TRAVEL
Sands R, Public Relations Manager at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay with Sand Dunes Resort & Spa. I have taken your concerns to the appropriate department managers and reviewed your issues. We thank you for taking the time to bring any shortcomings to our attention as we are constantly striving to improve our product and cannot correct issues we are not informed about.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Massillon
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying for 12 days last July in Myrtle Beach all at the Sand Dunes Resort. I started to select my vacation plans back to Myrtle Beach for 2013 and it will start and stop once again with this location. I felt I should share my opinion of this property. The room we stayed in was clean and all necessary kitchen needs were present. I had a spectacular view of the ocean. The restaurants that are available on the grounds offer good options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus several restaurants are close enough for a brief minute or two walk. The premises were clean, updated and geared towards a family. The waterpark was a great asset to have with children. My wife worked out in one of the more elaborate training facilities that she has been in. This is located on the premises. It was free to use during our stay. The hotel staff interacted in an extremely friendly and courtesies manner. I was in line at the pizza shop that is on the premises and the manager of this hotel (I believe her name was Sandra) walked up and spoke to my wife and I and asked what our opinion of the property was and what could she do better to make my stay better. I did not have a lot to offer, but she took notes and commented with understanding. I travel a lot and usually I only get that type of option to voice my opinion via an email survey that comes after my stay and for the most part, probably nobody reads. Overall, when I plan to stay in Myrtle Beach, this is where I will be.

Room Tip: Request oceanfront view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank J F
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Lobby is beautiful. Niceindoor pool and hot tub. HOWEVER, We were assigned to a room oin fifth floor. It was gross nasty filthy. After we found a big hair in the big , I asked to be moved, the new room had dried food caked all over the sink so I went back down again and finally was moved to a room that appeared mostly clean, Still there were someones toe nail clipping in the frame of the floor to ceiling window, peanuts in the pull out bed, old dirty carpet. Wore my shoes the whole time. The fifth floor is old, dirty and gross. I would never stay here again which is unfortunate because, if they gave it a major renovation it would a great place. Staff is exceptionally nice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Tnnrse11

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

It took over 30 minutes for me to get a room. The 1st one, we open the door and the fridge is in the middle of the entrance and there are broken tiles on the floor. They give me another room and the room they give me has double beds instead of queens. 4 people are not going to fit in 2 double beds. So back to the front desk I go. The manager gets annoyed with me and says she upgraded me. That does me no good if we all can't fit in a bed. So after waiting another 20 mins, they give me another room (the original room type). No apologies or anything. Will not be back. Not a good first impression. All this after driving 4 hours with 2 exhausted kids that needed to go to bed.

• Stayed November 2012
Sanford, North Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Guess "Resort" is right... They just "Resorted" to rent the Rooms out and Not check on them...
First things first...
The outward appearance isn't that bad, plus they did have a quaint cozy sitting area with chairs / table / a Swing to sit and watch the ocean and beach.

The Rooms!!!!
We rented a 2br/2ba Room - and I must say it is SMALL!!!
We called to ask about things we need to bring (Towels / Dish Towels, etc..), we were told "Its Fully Stocked". When we get there, there is No Dish Towels, We had to fry things in a Pot, because there was not a complete cookware set.

Floors were FILTHY!!! Sticky, Stained, Scuffed Up.
Walls / Celings - Scuffs / Stains / Bad Water Damage
Bathrooms - Floors were just as sticky, faucets didn't have good pressure, when you go to take a shower, the tub is still running while they shower head is running, making the pressure HORRIBLE!!!

The next day, when the room was "Cleaned" (And I use that tierm Loosely)... Nothing was cleaned... Same scuff marks, stains, sticky floors. And these are stains that would have came off with out any problems, as I took a wet papertowel and cleaned some of the stains of the door.
Luckily we always bring cleaning supplies...

The ONLY GOOD Thing I can say is that we had to check out early due to a death in the family, and they refunded the unused days without asking any questions... I still will not and would not ever stay here again, or reccomend this place to my friends / family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank kswilliams78
Lynchburg, tn
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Sand Dune's Resort, I think by Marriott, is incredible. Staff is nice, rooms and facilities are perfect. I'd return here for family or business trips. The swimming pool and room views were beautiful. It's a little hard to find because it is tucked away nicely; but worth finding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Paige J
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is our second visit to this beach front hotel. The location is outstanding, beach front rooms are reasonably priced, room was very clean on arrival, service staff is courteous and helpful, pool is well maintained, and the property is nicely groomed.
But this hotel has been here for many years, and time is taking its toll on the facilities. The elevators have a dank smell, and the overall building is in need of a major upgrade. The price offers at lot of value, but nice amenities are lacking.

• Stayed September 2012