“great place for lunch”

Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I stopped in last week for lunch. The lunch menu is a great value. the food was very good and waiter was prompt and very friendly. The ginger house salad dressing was really tasty.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We tried out the Black Thai based on reviews here on TripAdvisor and overall we were very satisfied with the meal, despite some minor issues. First off, decor and ambiance was nice in this very small and local feel restaurant. Nothing flashy, but a nice simple ambiance befitting asian cuisine, nothing tourist trap feeling. Nice place for couples to a table of 10 or more. Excellent wine list and cocktails too.

Main reason we went here is because my wife is a vegetarian and Black Thai offers multiple dishes that are traditionally served with meat, particularly the soups. She had an EXCELLENT meal.

First off we started with the Fresh Summer Rolls, fresh vegetables wrapped in rice paper with a homemade peanut sauce that was outstanding, picture included. The peanut sauce especially was a nice change, it wasn't creamy, more vinegar with chopped peanuts and went well with the rolls.

My wife then went with the Tom Kha Soup because again, she never gets to have this because it traditionally has chicken and chicken stock in it. Simply outstanding and it makes me wonder why more Thai restaurants don't make this version. With the coconut you don't miss the chicken at all.

Instead of soup, I went for the Steamed Mussels appetizer because I'm a huge fan of anything Mussels and this did not disappoint. I'm a wimp when it comes to spicy food and I loved this so don't let the "Homemade Thai Spicy Seafood Sauce" in the ingredients scare you off. Just ask them to make it as mild as possible. It was 10 good sized mussels. ONE MINOR ISSUE: The mussels were lukewarm, almost cold when they came out. It was no fuss at all when I told our server, she took them right back in and came out a minute later with nice hot mussels. She explained that the spicy sauce came right out of the fridge and that cooled down the mussels which as someone who cooks a lot, I know how that can happen.

For the main meal, my wife went with the Sriracha Fried Rice with Tofu and she had it medium spicy. Absolutely delicious. As I said I'm a wimp and I just tasted very little but it was full of flavor. She said it was one of the best fried rice dishes she's had.

I went with one of their Chef's Special Entrees which was Black Thai Angels. Shrimp and Chicken over broccoli with peanut sauce. This was just ok. First off, AGAIN, the food was more or less cold. I like my food nice and hot when it comes out. So again, I asked for them to heat it up and again, without fuss they took it right back and it came back out hot. The chicken was a bit dry and tasteless, it really needed some sort of seasoning. The shrimp was ok, again with no seasoning. The peanut sauce itself was VERY good and I think the idea here was for the Peanut Sauce to carry the entire entree, but since it was just poured on top at the end instead of tossed with everything, it didn't quite work. The chicken definitely needed to be more moist and it really needed some additional flavor. It's not that it was bad, it just could have been better.

So overall, a very good experience and I would definitely go back and simply try something different for my entree.

NOTE FOR FAMILIES: Black Thai does have a very simple kids menu featuring corn dogs, chicken fingers chicken nuggets, french fries and the like so if you're parents in the mood for some Thai food and you know your kids will balk, there's something for everyone here.

1  Thank biscardicreative
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stopped in at Black Thai on a weekday for lunch and had a delightful meal with a friend. I live in the Washington, DC metro area and have eaten at many of the most highly rated Thai restaurants in my local area. Black Thai would have ranked at the top of my list in any city. I ordered the Green Curry lunch special with chicken. The lunches are an excellent value as they are accompanied by your choice of 2 out of 3 side orders. If you're a tourist stuck in Myrtle Beach on a rainy afternoon, you won't be able to find a better value than the lunch at Black Thai. I enjoyed the delicious soup that contained delicate tofu, slivers of green onion and tiny sprouts. The salad with ginger vinaigrette was a welcome surprise. My friend sampled the crispy spring roles as her side order. My green curry chicken was the best green curry I have eaten as it wasn't too heavily laden with coconut milk as many other restaurant curries are. My friend enjoyed her pad thai. The server also asked about what kind of spice level I would like. I tend to like my thai food spicy and initially asked for 4 out of 5 but was warned away from the server. I chose a 3 and decided that I'll go up to the spicier level 4 the next time. The decor is very welcoming and warm as is the service. I asked the owners how long they have owned the restaurant and they indicated a little over a year. I hope that other readers support this restaurant so that it is there when I return. Pride of ownership is evident and it truly was one of the better thai meals I have eaten!
Enjoy!

1  Thank chrisd
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Tried this restaurant for the first time last week and I was not disappointed. Fresh, Tastey Food, Extensive Menu, Great service and clean atmosphere. A must for Thai Lovers.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Wonderful food and service! We told our waitress that we were eating gluten free, she was very helpful and said that they would use other seasonings in any dish with soy sauce. Felt that she really understood the gluten free lifestyle. Did I mention that the food and service were wonderful!!