“Beautiful Place - Don't listen to the bad reviews!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East

Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Murrells Inlet
staten island, NY
“Beautiful Place - Don't listen to the bad reviews!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

I was very nervous before arriving on September 12th and called a few times to discuss the bed bug review. I spoke to Christine who works at the Ellington and she assured me that everything would be fine..I was actually going to pay an additional fee to be moved into Phase 2 because all the reviews about Phase 1 were scaring me. Thank God I listened to Christine and did not waste money to change rooms.
We stayed in Phase 1 on the first floor, our room was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit and was more than comfortable for 4 adults and 3 children, grant it - the kids are all under 3 but still - big living room/dining room and bedrooms were a nice size too. Our room was spotless and of course, I did inspect the matress and found no sign of bedbugs...you can't blame this place for bed bugs - they can happen anywhere and apparently they fixed the problem. We had a small issue with the AC unit leaking and it was taken care of very quickly.
The pool was beautiful and I did see someone there every morning testing for chemicals and we actually had to stay out of the pool for a few minutes while he vacuumed what seemed to me was a very clean pool to begin with.
The area is great, quiet - away from the noise in myrtle beach itself yet it took us only 10 minutes every night to get to Broadway at the Beach which is the biggest and best attraction there.
The towel exchange was done twice during the week and we ended up with more towels than we needed - we even got extra toilet paper that we didn't need.

I would definetly return next year and would recommend this place to all - don't pay attention to the bad reviews - some people have nothing better to do. Sure there was room for some small upgrades in the unit but nothing even worth complaining about!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank giannasmomi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

Contrary to the reviews I had seen, the property was very enoyable! Everyone had a great time on the property and off. The grounds were very well kept and clean. The pools were in good conditon and the unit was perfect for our family, very clean floors and nice furnishings. Only had a minor maintenance issue that was promptly taken care of. My husband golfed all week (the resort had great discounts for courses nearby!) The kids absolutely loved the room location, just across from the pool and playground (easy to keep an eye on them.) Also a great perk is the State Park Pass for beach access which was only 3 miles away! We will definately be visiting again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank citygirl0483
Waynesboro, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

I suppose that I can't say that I was disappointed in our stay, because we had clear information from a prior review on this site that referred to the troubles we found. What I DO find disappointing is that the staff lies and makes excuses for the place.

After reading complaints about cleanliness and bedbugs in their units I wrote to the management and received assurances that these were isolated incidents that happened long ago (actually only a week preceding our trip). They also assured us that we would be re-assigned to a room that had more up to date appliances.

When we arrived on Sunday we discovered that we were assigned to Phase 1, the oldest section of the place. We inspected the mattress and immediately found bedbugs. We went to the office and were given a different room in a different building, but again, the same section. We inspected the mattress in the new room, and it was not infested.

Granted, bedbugs are becoming epidemic and do not by themselves determine whether or not a place is sanitary. But the paint in our room was sadly old. The carpet had to have been original. The siding of the enclosed porch was dirty as was the glass table. The cover on the outlet was falling off.

This facility needs an immediate renovation. We were told by a staff member that they "spray" for bedbugs. Well, that's a fairly temporary solution. All bedding and mattresses must be disposed of. Often the frame must go.

On Monday I stopped at the office to see about borrowing a beach chair and umbrella. Sadly I was told that since the Recreation Director was off on "Labor Day", I could not have one until at least the next day. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but am I missing something in the concept of "guest" or "hospitality industry". Doesn't one attempt some accommodation, like, er, finding the key to the Rec Director's closet and leaving a note?

The outdoor pool had not seen a scrubbing of its edge in quite some time and was filthy.

We went to buy tickets for a local attraction at the Concierge and they started pitching their time share presentation. After describing our bedbug experience and lack of a modern facility we were told that they have newer places. But how long does a place stay new?

Finally, internet. I don't really WANT to have internet when i am away, but this trip I NEEDED it. The only place available for WiFi was their central lounge, even though my laptop showed 5 other portals available that belong to the place when I turned it on from our room. Puh-leese!

We DID have a great time in the area, my wife having been going to this part of SC for many years. First time for me. The beaches are marvelous. Don't miss the State Park.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marshall61
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

I, too, was a bit put off by some of the negative recent reviews since our trip was already planned. My husband and I purchased here in late 1999, but this was only my 2nd trip here and his 1st since we either traveled to other locations or let our friends/family stay here in our place. We got the 2 bedroom unit (Phase 1) so our daughter could join us later during the week for a few days. Check-in was a breeze, the unit was clean, and the pool / grounds were well maintained. In fact, I saw the pool guy there every morning testing the water, adding chemicals as needed and straightening up the area. Since we checked in on a Friday, the housekeeping staff provided fresh towels to swap out with ours on Monday (yes, the Labor Day holiday) and Wednesday. We had so many towels we did not even need the ones from Wednesday. They did not provide a change of bed linens, but since I don't change my sheets at home on a daily basis this was not an issue. I thought the furnishings were quite comfortable and the kitchen items provided were sufficient for preparing basic meals (plates, cups, pots/pans, utensils, etc.). There were a few areas that needed a touch up of paint, but the overall condition of a place its age that is used on a repetitive basis was much, much better than what you would expect. The pass provided to Huntington Beach State Park (about 3 miles away) gave us great access to the beach, and the great restaurants nearby are too numerous to mention. We also worked out the wi-fi issue by getting an adapter and a pre-paid card from Walmart rather inexpensively. We will definitely being staying at our "home location" more often in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TLJ27282
Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

Same type of unit as last year. 2 BR 2 Bath unit on 2nd floor.
No complaints, not crowded at this time of year. One issue with maintenance that was addressed and fixed within the hour. Once again a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkC1234
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

My parents own a timeshare here and we've been going for many years together. Over time, Phase I has gotten more and more disgusting--to the point where myself and my husband will not go again. This time we were greeted with a filthy floor. It was covered in sand and left black dirt all over bare feet so we were forced to wear shoes at all times. On our first nights stay, I woke up in the middle of the night with my legs covered in bites and found bed bugs crawling around. Absolutely DISGUSTING! The furniture is greasy feeling and clearly needs to be cleaned or updated. Our garbage disposal was broken and smelled like it had a dead animal in it. We called maintenance and days later when it was time to leave, it still wasn't fixed. To top it off, this place STILL doesn't have Wi-Fi which is absolutely ludicrous. So instead, there are a hoard of people in the lobby with their laptops fighting for sofa space so they can get online. Is this 2010 or not?

The only good thing about this place is the location and with all the problems, I'd just rather be somewhere else in general. Won't go back, despite access to free timeshare. I highly advise Festiva to get it together when it comes to this resort. Downright GROSS!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank PalmettoLove
New Castle, Delaware
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

We our are owners at this location for 10 years from the beginning. I have been at this resort 3 times and traded for other resorts on other years. I checked in on Aug.7,2010 and left on Aug.14,2010. I stayed in Phase 1, these units are filthy and need a total upgrade. We were moved to Phase II in the middle of week because we found bed bugs in the bed. I captured a couple of the bugs and took to front office where they called Ecolab to come out to verify they were bed bugs. I had to pull info out of site manager to verify they were bed bugs. Finally she said they were after a 10 min.coversation. Cleaning service verfied that they had a problem at this location,but they had resolved issue. I recommend that you check out the rooms throughly before unpacking.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kcmurdah
FestivaRep, Public Relations Manager at Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
I'm so sorry that you had an unpleasant experience during your recent stay at Ellington. Please know that the problem has been taken care of as they removed all soft goods, thoroughly cleaned the unit, and replaced all soft goods with new items. If there's anything else we can do to assist you, please let us know.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murrells Inlet
Plantation Resort
Plantation Resort
#2 of 5 in Surfside Beach
Holiday Inn Express Murrells Inlet

Been to Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East? Share your experiences!